Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows 10 App Won't Close

Windows 10 App Won't Close

I cannot actually quit spotify ever. When attempting to quit the app, it simply moves into the background. I am not talking about the "Close button should minimize the Spotify window to the tray" setting, as I specifically have that off.

If I try to then reopen the app, it gives me the notification "The Spotify application is not responding." I have tried turning off hardware acceleration and turning it back on. I have done clean reinstalls more times than I can count. I've tried both the windows store and non windows store version. I have done all of this in safe boot as well.

No matter what I do, the spotify app never actually closes unless I open the task manager and manually end the task. It has gotten so bad that I have literally written a script to end the task. The real problem, however, is that when it is running in the background like this, it takes up 50~60% of my CPU power. If I let it keep running for too long, it ends up making my computer freeze and I have to restart.

The current version I am attempting to get this fixed on is 1.0.86.337.ga8d5cef9 the Windows Store version. It can be difficult to even get changes to settings to take effect because I can't legitimately restart spotify, as it won't reopen after closing unless I end the process. If I can't get this fixed, I don't know if I will be able to continue to use spotify, as it is more trouble than it is worth at this point.

I have attached some photos of my settings and of the resource monitor for when spotify is running in the background.

Resource monitor showing spotify using 50% CPU in the backgroundResource monitor showing spotify using 50% CPU in the backgroundMy current settings.My current settings.

2 Replies

Having a similiar issue with Windows 7 I'm unable to end one of the spotify processes. The only way to resolve so far has been to restart my computer but the desktop application freezes again shortly after resulting in me having to resart the computer again. This issue is also occuring on all my windows 7 machines.

@Fuzed wrote:

Having a similiar issue with Windows 7 I'm unable to end one of the spotify processes. The only way to resolve so far has been to restart my computer but the desktop application freezes again shortly after resulting in me having to resart the computer again. This issue is also occuring on all my windows 7 machines.

I have actually created a script that seems to do the trick even when I can't end it through task manager. Running through powershell the script is

# Kill the process Spotify
Clear-Host
Get-Process spotify | Stop-Process

Simple enough, I just created a shortcut on my desktop so that I can run it every time I want to quit using spotify. Very clunky, but it's the only thing I've found to work so far.

Suggested posts