Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows 10 CLiP device license not found

Windows 10 CLiP device license not found

Hi I'm on windows 10 and sometimes Spotify will refuse to launch and instead show an error message (see below). Sometimes this goes away on it's own but it keeps coming back. I've seen only one post on here and it says the solution was to update my PC which worked for a bit but then the error is back again. 

sp.png

6 Replies

I am having the same issue.  I also saw the post about updating the machine but my machine is up to date. I've reset the app, that didn't work, I then removed and re-installed the app but the error keeps cominng back.  The app will eventually launch but it takes a little while before it does.

Any help would be greatly appreciate it.

Hey @Nando003  and @Xabdrol 

I would suggest going to Windows Store to try signing out and back into it.

A workaround would be using the standalone installer instead, since this issue seems to be linked to Windows Store licenses.

Let me know how you get on 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I don't use the windows store. Always have installed it from the standalone installer. I did a complete uninstall (removing all traces of spotify and it's registry keys) and then reinstalled it. Not sure if it's fixed but it's been a while since I got this error. No telling if it will come back as it was never a consistent error.

@Xabdrol 

Well that's strange... Hopefully what you did has fixed the issue for you!

I looked into this and it seems that the error is linked to Windows Store, and that logging out and back into the Store would update things and possibly erase the error.

Other possible causes are hardware change or Windows being not activated. Have you swapped anything in your computer (like a hard drive or something else)?

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Yeah in my research I had seen it had something to do with the windows store. But dismissed it.

The only hardware change I did was add a hard drive recently. But it's mostly for storage and as far as I'm aware spotify leaves it alone.

For now though it works. I'm rebuilding my computer soon so I can clean up all the mess that is probably the cause.

@Xabdrol 

Yes, Spotify would have no problems with how many hard drives you add, but Windows 10 license is apparently a bit harsh. See this Sourceforge discussion for more info.

Shouldn't be a big issue if you're running a retail license...

I am not sure where exactly they draw the line between "still same PC" and "this is a new PC" in terms of swapping hardware details...

Reinstalling the OS is never a bad thing. 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Suggested posts