Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10, release 1909

My Question or Issue

The desktop application has not been playing music for several weeks now. This started after the application auto-updated. The application starts, it lets me log in and playlists are visible, but every time I select the Play button on a track, it does not play. There is no sound, the progress graphic does not progress and I get an error at the top of the application stating "Spotify can't play this song right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

I've seen this post and tried the solution posted there:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Spotify-unable-to-play-music-using-Desktop-App/td-p...

It accurately describes the problem I'm seeing, but the posted solution does not work. I've reset all sound setting, reinstalled the latest application, reinstalled an older version, etc... Nothing works.

I'm resubmitting this topic because there doesn't appear to be a solution. Even the "solution" posted on the referenced thread requires that you do it after every reboot. Can Spotify please fix their desktop app?

3 Replies

Hey there @hm_o2-95uri4

Thanks for reaching out - we’re here to help!

Make sure you perform a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your PC instead of the regular one. This step is more thorough in terms of removing corrupted files from previous installations. Here you'll find out on how to run it.  

It's also a good idea to clear your hosts file from any entries that need to be removed. Check out this page for the steps you need to go through.  

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I tried all of the items posted in the links you suggested: I uninstalled, searched for all files with "spotify" in the name, deleted all files (re-ran the search to confirm) and reinstalled through the Microsoft App Store.

The host file on my computer did not contain "spotify" or any IP address associated with Spotify.

Neither suggestion worked. I have the same problem as before. This made me wonder if some configuration on my pc is causing a web-based music app to not connect to a host server. So I installed the Deezer and Tidal apps. Both work. This leads me to believe there's something wrong with the Spotify app. 

Hey @hm_o2-95uri4

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

If none of the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far did make any difference you might be experiencing an issue that we're currently investigating. Check out this Ongoing Issue and add your vote to it by clicking on the +VOTE button. Make sure you follow the steps under Status Update as well. 

It'll also be useful to Subscribe via the three-dots menu in the top right corner next to the title. That'll make sure you stay up to date with any relevant updates about this.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Suggested posts