Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows 10 - Spotify error 17, possible group restrictions

Windows 10 - Spotify error 17, possible group restrictions

Hi guys,

I have windows 10 enterprise 64-bit.

Current spotify version is 1.0.42.151

I start up Spotify and it begins the installer, to which I receive an error "Spotify could not be started (Error Code: 17)

I had previously been able to get around this by removing the "Update" folder in C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Spotify, and Spotify would not attempt to update and run as normal.

BUT since the latest version of Spotify (a couple of weeks ago), when I remove this Update folder, Spotify will indeed start up, but will attempt to update immediately. It asks for permission to update, and I can see that it creates the "Update folder", but again it will fail with Error 17.

I uninstalled and removed every trace of Spotify from my laptop, and then re-installed.

I followed a thread here, moving all spotify to Program Files

cmd /k move "%AppData%\Spotify" "%ProgramFiles(x86)%"

I was then able to start spotify comfortably.

Then upon rebooting, I was back to square one with the error 17!

Ideally i'd be able to figure out why it fails with this error :17, I've looked in many of the forum posts here, but I could settle for preventing Spotify from trying to Update in the first place, but maybe this is not possible.

I'd appreciate any help here! It's becoming such a pain in the a$$, I have to use the Web player which doesn't have the same functionality.

Thanks!

0 Replies

Suggested posts