Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows 10 and Power Management

Windows 10 and Power Management

I've recently upgraded by Surface 3 (non-Pro) from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Since the upgrade, when screen blanks as per the "Turn off the display" setting, Spotify stops playing.  That is, it is not honouring the "Put the computer to sleep" setting. 

I'm pretty sure Windows is still going in the background - OneDrive files continue to sync as expected.  Changing the "Turn off the display" setting is the only way to stop this (...which leaves the screen on and sucks the battery dry).

I suspect Spotify is doing something a little incorrect with how it engages with Windows 10's API structures...  Anyone know of a fix for this?

15 Replies

Sam problem here, i think you are spot whats causing it.

ps i have the same issue .. which is very annoying

@superwolfi wrote:

i think the best way is to "Kudo" the following entry to show support:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Prevent-Windows-from-sleeping-when-Spotify-Premi...

Done.  It kind of boggles the mind that such a basic, fundamental feature is missing from this software.  I suspect it points to Spotify being more focused on a mobile, streaming solution over a desktop, possibly offline solution, but the lack of response here shows a tone deaf attitude towards the customer base.

I've been playing around with Groove Music, which appears to be superior in every way (well, for me - more offline devices, larger music library) except for curated playlists (which are a bit hit or miss for me), so that may be where I take my monthly spend (there is, naturally, inertia at transferring over playlists).

A really good move, IMO, on behalf of Spotify would be to issue a response - "Yeah, we're aware of it, working on it," or "Nah, we don't think it's an issue."  At the moment, the silence indicates the latter which indicates that, since desktop is a prime music platform for me, this is not the service I should be investing my time in.

I'm having the very same problem with Spotify on my Windows 10 tablet. Thought this problem was so basic that there must be a simple solution to it. I can't believe that this is a long known Spotify bug with no solution yet!!!

Other music players have no issues with Win 10 energy saving options - switching off display does not stop music playback and standby is suspended while music is playing - this is how it is supposed to be. Why is this not manageable for Spotify???

This has to do with Win32 programs not communicating with the power management system correctly. The only solution I have found is to set your screen saver to blank at the timeout you want and then set the time to screen off in the power and sleep settings to never.

screensaver.png
powersleepsettings.png

Use the web app and go full screen. https://play.spotify.com/browse

Hi there. I've had this issue since using a Surface Pro 4 - and even used someone else's suggestion of making a registry setting change (which worked, but I wouldn't recommend unless you know what you're doing). However, it seems MS has 'overwritten' that option in a new update anyway, so it's only a temporary fix.

What I have just discovered as working is to use the Spotify web player in MS Edge.

I've been listening to that all day with my screen turing off after 3 minutes, and no disruption to my Spotify music listening. It's a shame the desktop Spotify still stops, but for me using the web player in Edge is an ok workaround for now.

Cheers.

Now that MS is disabling music streaming in the Groove UWP app from December 31st 2017 it's even more important that the Spotify app is made with some semblance of respect for it's current and incoming customers.  Make this app run properly on a Windows 10 tablet when the screen goes to sleep!

I just want to also raise the issue that the groove app integrated well across both the W10 desktop and W10 phone, didn't have any issues with the power saving features (i.e. your laptop or phone would screen off and the app would continue to run)

It seems like a simple fix to the API but one which has to come from Spotfiy. Please make the W10app function like an actual app instead of the desktop version downloaded through the windows store. Add in a few Cortana voice control options and a live tile and presto, amazeballs.

I've posted elsewhere on what BS piece of **bleep** the spotify apps are, now I find this problem to add to the list.

MS delivered a lot of perfetly happy Groove music pass holders to this 'world leading' service only to find the emperor has no clothes.

FFS just get on and fix thi hopeless software.

Can't believe regisrty hacks conteplated for an issue around several years.

We all need to make a lot more noise it seems...

Same problem. This is especially annoying since they removed connect support for my receiver and I can no longer stream to it directly (why?? .,.. how hard is it to keep the old API around).

Just wanted to be sure this thread was aware of our update in this idea at the end of last year:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Prevent-Windows-from-sleeping-when-Spotify-Pre...

We’ve been exploring many ways of enabling customers to play music while the screen is off. Most of the solutions we had explored involved preventing Windows from being able to turn the screen off, which would result in a much higher degree of battery use—something that we don't want to do.

The good news is that a fix for this is in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. With this update playback on Spotify can continue while the screen is off to conserve your battery power. While you might not have this update yet, you can update Windows manually by going here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-fall-creators-update. The music will, however, stop when your computer goes to sleep. You can control the sleep settings in the Power & sleep settings. 

Please know our Desktop teams take your feedback very seriously and they’re excited to help fix this issue for you all. Thanks for continuing to bring us your Spotify Ideas.

Suggested posts