Device

Desktop PC

AMD Ryzen 7 3800

64GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 970

Operating System

Windows 10 64bit

My Question or Issue

The app will play and operate fine for about 20 minutes or so and then will just crash. This happens every time I use it, and it seems to happen frequently when the next track is about to play but also mid-song as well. Started about the second most recent update. I stream and do not use local files. I have 'hardware acceleration' checked as is default. I have reinstalled several times and made sure to completely wipe my pc of spotify the last two times. There are more than several 'spotify.exe' listed in task manager and many tray icons on the taskbar. Not sure of any other useful info, it happens no matter what else I am doing on my pc. Thanks in advance.

49 Replies
Marked as solution

There is no error. I restart into safe mode with networking, I click the Spotify tile in my start menu, and nothing happens.

Spotify is allowed and exempted from my firewall and anti-virus. It's just basic windows defender.

I turned on Show Local Files, disabled both locations, and turned it back off. This seems to have fixed the problem for me. It's been running for a couple hours now, when it wouldn't last more than a couple minutes before doing this.

Hi again, 

Thanks for your messages.

Could you send over the exact Spotify version you're currently running so we can continue investigating?

Keep us posted!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have 1.1.58.820.g2ae50076-a

>I turned on Show Local Files, disabled both locations, and turned it back off.

This worked for me as well. I have no idea why it did but it did.
Spotify has been open for ~2 hours now when it'd die ~10 minutes prior. Version is 1.1.58.820.g2ae50076

Hi again folks, 

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

@CrashingBoar, we're glad to hear that this has worked for you too!

@Matty01, could you let us know if you notice any difference after giving @emnii's suggestion a try?

We'll be right here. 

NovyModerator

This method does seem to work. Three songs in so far and no crash, usually it'd crash after the first one. Thanks @emnii

Hey @Matty01

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We're glad to hear that things are now working as they should. 

@emnii, we hope you don’t mind us marking your post as a solution to make it more visible to other Community users experiencing this issue.

If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to let us know. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator

I am unable to check these solutions until later, but it is hopeful they work for someone at least. 

I will try: sign in with another account, turn on/off local files

Marked as solution

Hey @soboyle,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Take the time you need. When you toggle Local Files on, make sure to disable any sources that appear there, then toggle Local Files off again.

We'll be looking out for your reply to see how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Sure thing.

I can also confirm that if I turn Show Local Files back on, it starts crashing again. I think we've identified the feature that's not working as expected, and I hope it's fixed soon. I use Spotify to listen to local files.

Hey @emnii,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

We'll make sure to pass this on to the teams in charge to be looked into. We can't commit to a timeline for when this will be fixed, but we'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, make sure to keep the app updated.

If you need a hand with anything else, give us a shout.

Have a good one!

CarlosEModerator

It seems that for me, with the latest version, the local files trick works. I did what was said: turned it on, turned the new options off, then turned local files off again. I am at over a half hour of listening with no crash. I marked it as accepted solution, because for now it is working great! Thank you to all the mods and users helping me! 

Hey @soboyle,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

We're glad to know it worked for you. We're always happy to help.

If you need anything else, we're always a post away.

Take care!

CarlosEModerator

So what happens if I don't want my app to crash but I also want to be able to see my local files?

I've also had this issue recently, running version 1.1.60.672.g6ad9c215-a

Fixed using the Disable Local Files tip with the difference that "Show local files" can be enabled as long as "Show songs from" locations are disabled.

My music library consists of mostly FLAC files if it matters and I'd love to be able to consolidate on just one music player for both local media and streaming. However until Spotify fixes this issue that's not possible

Hey @xl-gamer

Thanks for posting here on the Community about this.  

Could you provide us with some more info on what you observe on your end? This will help us take a closer look and let you know what to try next. 

Also, let us know what troubleshooting you've tried so far before disabling the option for the local files. 

We'll look out for your reply. 

what do you mean by "I turned on Show Local Files, disabled both locations, and turned it back off" .. do you mean disable the things say "Downloads" and "Music Library"

Also, I wonder if this problem is because of moving the default locations of your libraries. i.e. Downloads and Music Library are typically found at C:\Users\<username>\Downloads and C:\Users\<username>\Music .. however, most of my libraries have been moved onto a separate HDD, they are not located on the system C drive. Moving them is done by going to the library icon (i.e. Music), right click > Properties, Location tab, select 'Move' .. Not sure if this is why, but it wouldn't be the first time I've had trouble with something caused by the library being in a non-default location

Hi there @exploiteddna,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

The source where the app is accessing the local files and where the app data goes are different locations.

You're correct we mean mean disable the t "Downloads" and "Music Library". You need to first turn on Show Local Files - disable everything underneath and then turn it off again.

Let us know how everything goes.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

"The source where the app is accessing the local files and where the app data goes are different locations."

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to app data (which is always located in c:\users\<user>\appdata\ or %appdata% or %localappdata%) 

I merely meant that the Spotify feature that looks for local files in the user's Downloads and Music Library are probably looking at C:\Users\<user>\Downloads\ and C:\Users\<user>\Music\ because these are the default Windows locations. However, these can be manually moved to a different location. For example, my Music location is E:\Libraries\Music\ ..

It's reasonable to think that if the Spotify app is hard coded to search C:\Users\<user>\Music\ but this location does not exist, the program will throw an exception and crash. I'm not a spotify dev, but I've done enough programming to know something of this nature could easily crash a program. So it would be ideal if the dev team gets this information so they can investigate this as a possibility. (or is there a proper bug report system I can use?)

Suggested posts