Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Desktop Gaming PC

Operating System

Win7x64

My Question or Issue

A popup is shown every time Spotify starts.

The popup must be dismissed manually before being able to search for the song I want to play in my music player, every time.

You support Android 5 from 2014, before Win10 was released. It would be great if you continued to support Win7, since it still runs all the latest software, and especially for streaming audio, since this has worked for a long time and doesn't require a special OS or PC to achieve; a standard or even laptop grade Wifi connection and sound card is enough.

That doesn't mean that all your users have crappy setups. Some are connected to high end speakers, etc. A popup will not in itself magically make users able to replace a 3000 EUR workstation just to change the OS version for no reason. The cost can be reduced by keeping the modern GPU, but apart from the money there is also numerous reinstalls of software, their licenses, and endless configuration to consider, for which there may be no replacement.

Maybe you can produce a stable version, leave it on Win7 just like Win7 is stable, and just update the content? Updates for the codebase isn't really needed anymore for the function of streaming audio, displaying web UI content, etc. You had it with some very early versions of Spotify, but you keep updating and changing.

Everything worked, and the old search even allowed you to specify artist, song title, or album title to actually find that song. There is a lot of music out there, and the amount is growing. You had something Google didn't have. A great search engine is much appreciated by me, so it would be great if that was in the final stable for Win7.

And maybe you could add a "don't show again" or simply heed the Dismiss click for the popup? It is read and understood, it's not so easy to change my main music workstation.

4 Replies

Go to: AppData\Local\Spotify\Browser\Local Storage\leveldb

Delete everything inside of it, it will be re-created when you launch spotify, it should remove the message. If you want, set it to read only aftewards, shouldn't hurt anything to do so or the message will popup again over time.

Backing this up, Spotify. The push for Win 10 is ridiculous. The option is up to the customer. The moment Spotify stops supporting Windows 7 is the moment I stop paying for your services. 

Hi folks,

Thanks for the posts.

Unfortunately, Spotify currently supports devices running Windows 10 and above. We can't guarantee that the app will work as expected on older versions of Windows. More info here.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

You update the software weekly with no discernible change to the end user. Why not update the software so that the Dismiss button does what it says?

Perhaps a desktop application is not required, and incompatibilities could be resolved by retiring it instead? The web application offers a very similar experience. The immediate downside is that it's limited to 256 kbps, while the desktop application seems to offer 320 kbps according to specs, if quality is set to Very High and Auto Adjust Quality is off.

Suggested posts