Premium

Country

US

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When I try to use the Desktop app, it crashes before it makes it to the end of the first song in the playlist.

Possible fixes that I've already tried (and have failed):

• I have tried logging off and logging back in.
  • I have attempted reinstalling the app from the Spotify home page as well as the Windows App Store.
  • I have tried the Clean install that is recommended in threads like this as well and it hasn't helped.

I am able to log in via browser and listen without issue. 

These issues correspond with me transitioning to a new ISP (going from Comcast to RCN) and the usage of a new cable modem/router (I was using Netgear modem and router before, now I'm using the same router, but the modem is Arris).

I'm unsure why that would make the desktop app crash and not the browser, but I figured it was worth mentioning it because that's when the crashing seemed to start. 

I am receiving a new router/modem combo that I intend to install and use later today. Hoping there are some solutions I haven't been able to find.  

Thanks!

38 Replies

My hard drive is a NVMe. 

No file encryption or data protection on either of them. 

I run ad blockers on my browser, but I haven't had issues running Spotify on my browser, only the desktop app. But in case that makes a difference for some reason I use AdBlock and uBlock Origin. 

I don't use a VPN. 

Thank you.

Hi again @Janiust,

Thanks for bearing with us and for that info.

We've received reports in the past that AdBlock was causing connectivity issues with the app, as it is Chromium based. Try disabling AdBlock and whitelist Spotify in uBlock just to be sure, restart and check if it's any better. AdBlock might be blocking traffic, causing load delays due to connection difficulties until a timeout.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

A clean install does not resolve this issue.  I have been attempting to troubleshoot this for weeks now, and the only thing that allows me to re-open Spotify without crashing is to (every single time I close the app), going to advanced app options via Windows settings, resetting the app, then starting spotify again.  This is for the Windows store version.  Downloading the desktop app does not solve the problem.  I've even attempted installing numerous older versions of spotify.  NOTHING has worked.  Is Spotify working to resolve this issue for its subscribers?   This is fairly ridiculous.  I've loved Spotify for years, but I don't know how this persists for such an extended period and the only advice offered is doing a clean install.  That does not solve the problem.  Nor does ensuring Spotify is granted exception to Windows firewall rules (ditto for 3rd party antivirus).  I feel I've run out of permutations for troubleshooting, and it's really not the typical place for a paying customer to be doing the IT work for the vendor.  Apologies for the negative tone, but it's definitely at that "I mean g**damn, what is it going to take" place.

Hey there @dmiapollo,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community.

We're sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this issue. We're trying to narrow down what might be causing this, as it may be related to a particular setup, since this isn't an issue that's affecting every user.

We'd also like to clarify that we've suggested many other troubleshooting steps above in this thread that might be of help, besides the clean reinstall. Could you give those a try and let us know how it goes? It would come in handy if you list all the steps you've tried so far so we know where to start and don't repeat anything, in case none of those work.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

I disabled my adblock and added spotify to the whitelist on ublock, but the desktop app still crashes. 

It was stable for about a day or two after the install, but it's back to crashing again this morning. I think a windows update rebooted my computer overnight. 

The last couple of instances where it's happened, the clean install provided a stable experience, but after a reboot (typically happens in the middle of the night with auto updates for windows 10) it's back to crashing after about 30 seconds. I can always tell when it's going to do it as well because the window has resized itself and the volume is always back to full. 

Please advise.

Hey @Janiust,

Thanks for the reply.

Windows updates shouldn't normally cause such behavior.

We'd recommend you check whether there are any hardware drivers that can be updated. Pay special attention to your graphics and sound card.

Apart from that you can try downloading the app from our website instead of the MS store or vice versa. The windows version works better on some systems, but not all.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I wasn't implying that the update was causing the issue, but rather the reboot. I have already checked to update both drivers. 

I've tried downloading it from both avenues, it doesn't seem to make a difference. 

I've downloaded it from the website and it's working and stable at the moment. I'm going to reboot my computer and see what happens.

The app was stable before the reboot. I listened to 2-3 songs and the app didn't crash.

I just reboot my computer and the app resized itself, volume at full like I mentioned and crashed at the 58 second mark of a new song.

Hi there @Janiust

Thanks for the info you sent and apologies for the delayed reply. 

In this specific case, we suggest reaching out to our Support team through any of these channels so they can take a closer look at this and further assist you.

When you get in touch with them, we recommend sharing this thread's link so that they can be aware of what we've already tried.

If you need help with anything else, just let us know.

Cheers!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Clean install done by removing all spotify files from my windows, the app keep crashing on sign in

Hey there @SilverWx,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Can you list all the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this thread that you've already tried apart from the clean reinstall? This is so we don't repeat anything and have a better idea of what might be going on.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Has anyone in this thread been able to resolve the issue with their desktop app?  It appears that's not the case, but I'm pretty desperate since I've exhausted every troubleshooting step I can find across all the related threads I've found from others with this problem.

Can I ask how you found the old instance on your partitioned hard drive? I've not been able to locate spotify files in my system, but I keep thinking this must be the only explanation for why I'm unable to resolve. I'm thinking I'm just not searching the proper locales. Would love to hear what worked for you. Thanks!

Shoot. Sounded like you got close to fixing it! In the same boat myself and can't figure this out for the life of me.

I've tried everything that they suggested and at some point I think they stopped responding to me or they ran out of suggestions. 

To be honest I haven't tried the app in a couple of weeks because I have just been using the browser based app. 

I just opened it and it shut after 45 seconds though, so I'm guessing the issue was never fixed. 

Yeah, it's quite frustrating but same with me. The desktop app was the
only way I could zoom in and manage a reasonable video size but if it gets
annoying enough I'll just cancel the sub at some point. Enjoy the music!

Finally the problems was caused by my bluetooth stack, I reinstalled it and now it's ok

Marked as solution

So, I took the drastic action of resetting my computer. I think that there was an issue with Windows 10, which is why I was getting those Error 0x80070780 issues. I googled that and tried to troubleshoot it but none of the suggestions that I found worked. 

Resetting the computer (which sucks by the way and you should only do it as a last resort) worked and my spotify app is now working again. 

I would also add that I tried the chat help with Spotify and my first experience was pretty bad. The rep tried to get me to do all the stuff that we already tried here. He obviously didn't read this thread which I referenced at the beginning of chat.  Obviously a lot of these suggestions require rebooting the machine, which means closing the chat and being rid of me. The second rep I dealt with was much better. 

Anyways, thanks everyone here for their attempts to troubleshoot the issue.

Hi there @Janiust,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

We're sorry to hear that your experience wasn't as expected, but we're so glad to know that it was finally sorted out, and appreciate you taking the time to share what worked for you, as it can be helpful for other users too.

If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts