Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows desktop program auto plays/resumes unexpectedly

Windows desktop program auto plays/resumes unexpectedly

Plan: Premium, Country: USA, Device: PC Desktop, Operating System: Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I have a pair of headphones I connect to both my PC and my cell phone at the same time.  If I have Spotify open on my desktop but NOT playing AND I make a phone call on my cell phone using my headphones, as soon as I end the call, then Spotify on my PC will start playing. 

It will do this even when Windows has the audio playback set to the desktop speakers, not the bluetooth headphones.

Something about the bluetooth headset connecting or switching between devices triggers Spotify to play.  Any way to stop this?  

7 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Same thing here. Also when connecting bluetooth speakers it immediately starts playing.
I also replied to https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Android-Bluetooth-Stop-Spotify-Autoplaying-on-App-Op...

I just started searching the database to see if there is a solution to this problem.  How depressing that the search result includes me from almost 2 years ago complaining about this issue.  It doesn't look like any progress has been made.

It's annoying if I have my phone connected to my bluetooth headphones and my pc.  If my phone rings and I answer it with the headphones, the windows 10 PC starts playing music through the desktop speakers while I'm trying to talk on the phone.  Ugh.  

I'm an adult, please allow me control of the play functionality.  I won't hurt anyone.  It's not like I'm running with scissors or something.

same here 😞

Hi there @MasterK and @nicofars,

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

Can you confirm if you followed the steps that been provided by @Loxer?

We also suggest that you remove all of your hosts files.

If you're on Windows, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If you're using a Mac, follow these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Let us know how everything goes 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

That did not work

Hey there @jba6555,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Could you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried? That way we can avoid repeating any steps. 

Also, would you mind letting us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your devices?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts