block artist / song

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Operating System

Android and Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi, I've been a Premium user for a few weeks and was really enjoying the service, however today I log into my account from work and my 4 year son is at home listening on the Google Home to "The Number Song" by John Paul internet kid's star.  Here in the song it keeps saying F- you blah blah.  I go to block this song and find from all the threads I do not have permission (but some iOS users might) to be sure a specific artist does not play.  I did find how to filter out the explicit content in the account, but I really want to be able to prevent certain artists from playing in my families music feed.  This is just crazy to me that we can't do this and it's the first thing that makes me think I should check one of the other services available.

Does spotify have a contract with content providers that prevents this?  If not, how is it possible with so many users (and families) on here that we can only block Explicit content, but not filter out specific artists/songs for our child accounts?

Just crazy.  Please correct me if I'm wrong or there is a way to do this.

32 Replies

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

We're constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope youโ€™ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

You can read more about how your feedback reach Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music ๐Ÿ™‚

This solution doesn't work for me.

I often lapse into playlists going to "radio" and they consistently play the same artists with no variety and it gets old.

I would prefer to be able to block a song that is repeated before the artist as a whole.

This feature should be available on the desktop app as well. 

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

There's currently an idea about adding this feature on desktop. You can find it here. You can leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Any feature on a desktop should be uniformly available on mobile or a tab, etc and vice versa.

Hey there @woodtype918,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and constantly aiming to improve our features. Weโ€™re sorry that this means youโ€™re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator

This isn't necessarily resolved at all. Just like this page states, it's not a resolution to the exact issue we are experiencing. I have blocked Dumb Dumb Bieber for the last 6 years and oddly enough he keeps cropping up in playlists here and there. Come to find out I have to go back and block him again. So obviously something on Spotifys end breaks and this function doesn't work correctly. Blocking an artist should streamline to every - single - playlist on Spotify. It does not. The option to dismiss a song is not there and it should be. If I hate a song, I should have an option to dismiss it and never ever hear it again. Fix this already. 

This thread is over 2 years old at present and this simple request is being totally ignored. there are some things or artists I don't want to hear so why can I not block them.

Why is Spotify making this so difficult

An exactly why is it not possible in all devices? Why should I have to listn to something I don't want to when I am paying for this service?

I wish this worked on albums as well. One of my favorite groups has an "album" of commentary for each of the 13 songs on the actual album. I love their music but get really annoyed when the commentary comes on shuffle.

There isn't this option, so did you take this away in some update? Please fix it soon!

For the past week or so my Amazon Alexa devices will not play daily mixes. It has been defaulting to an ear training playlist for daily mix 1, and several albums named daily mix 2, 3, 4, etc. by some scammer trying to get hits on his music.

I've tried several solutions recommended on Reddit hearting the personalized daily mix playlists as well as blocking that artist but neither matters. It will still play the blocked artist regardless. I'm not sure what's causing this issue as it's only recently started happening. I took a screenshot of the scammers album.

Screenshot_20221223_104206_Spotify.jpg

2024 and the feature to block something is still not available on the desktop app... 

I feel so direspected.

Suggested posts