Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

desktop app crashes repeatedly crashes - continuation of prior issues

desktop app crashes repeatedly crashes - continuation of prior issues

despite the note in this thread, https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Desktop-app-crashing-on-Windows-after-latest-update/..., indicting the root case had been fixed, the issue is persisting for me. Please advise on suggestions to fix. Thanks.

Spotify for Windows
1.1.98.691.gf759311c
11 Replies

Hey @wmfy-1wi_yhs9,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

In this case, we'd like to gather as many details as possible. Could you share with us the troubleshooting you’ve already done? If you haven't yet, you could start with a clean reinstall of the app to see if this makes a difference. You can find the steps for a clean reinstall here.

On another note, is this happening over WiFi? 3G/4G? Both? Do you notice any difference if you switch the internet connection you're using? You can create, if possible, a hotspot from your phone. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Lastly, did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details. 

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi @AlejaR, and thanks for the response.

Just did a clean install, but same behaviors continue: Spotify either crashes immediately upon open or shortly after starting to play a song.  Can't get more than 15-18 seconds into the first song selected on desktop before it crashes.

This issue has existed for me since some time in August or September, but if you review the thread I linked to in my original post, you will see the issue I am experiencing was widespread and dates back to at least June 2022.  According that thread, and update posted on Tuesday, Nov. 15, the root cause was found and the issue marked as "fixed" with the most recent version, but since my desktop install is doing the exact same thing, I don't think it is fully fixed.

In terms of other troubleshooting I have done the following:

• I've done countless reinstalls and clean reinstalls
    • both from spotify website and Windows App Store. 
  • used test accounts and confirmed the exact same behavior happens with them, so it's something with my PC/Windows/Spotify set up and not an account issue
  • white listed spotify in my bitdefender application
  • disabled and enable hardware acceleration

Bottom line, it really is the exact same issue referenced in the earlier thread, and it appears victory was declared a bit too earlier for it.  The post declaring it fixed doesn't really offer any additional information on what the root cause was, so there's not much else I can try without further guidance.  Thanks.

Hey @wmfy-1wi_yhs9,

Thanks for your reply and the detailed info shared.

In this case, we'd like to gather some additional info. Did you notice if this is happening on a different computer? It’d be awesome if you could check. You can ask for the computer of a relative or a friend to open your account and check.

On another note, as a next step, can you please try running the app in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking to rule out any issues with your default Windows settings and basic device drivers? Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Lastly, if the behavior persists, we'd also suggest clearing any entries which contain Spotify from the host files on your computer. You can follow the instructions in this post.

Keep us in the loop! 

AlejaRModerator

Hi @AlejaR,

Thanks for your patience with me.  Spotify desktop app and my account work as expected on a different computer.

When I restarted my impacted computer in Safe Mode with Networking, the Spotify app worked as expected, without crashing, so I guess now we need figure out what is crashing it.  Any tips on how to do that?  

Hi there @wmfy-1wi_yhs9,

Thanks for the reply.

Since the app works fine in Safe Mode, this means that a firewall of some sort might be blocking access to some necessary networking ports, and crashing the app.

I'd suggest clearing any entries which contain the word 'Spotify' from the hosts file on your computer. You can check this post for a guide on how to do that. After that is done, try disabling Bitdefender entirely, just to check if the app loads at all. This way we can test if this is caused by the antivirus software has any effect on the case at all.

Let us know how it goes.

AlexModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @Alex, thanks for the reply.  Thanks to it, I think I've solved the issue!  Huzzah!!

In case others are following this thread, here's what I did.

1) Checked the hosts file, but there was nothing in it to clear out, as described in the link you shared.

2) Tried with Bitdefender process killed and it worked as expected, so yes, somehow, Bitdefender was blocking the process and causing it to crash, despite Spotify appearing as allowed in the firewall rules list.

3) Based on a post in the Bitdefender community about Spotify issues, in the Firewall settings tab of the Bitdefender Total Security app, I turned on "alert mode" so the app displays each connection as it attempts to communicate and lets the user allow or block it.  

4) I then relaunched Spotify and allowed the connection when BTS asked about it.

Since doing this this, the desktop app is working exactly as expected and no longer crashing!  thanks much for the help in getting to this solution.

Hey @wmfy-1wi_yhs9,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

We're glad to know that everything is working fine now. We appreciate the time you took reporting the issue, following the instructions and sharing what works for you. Hopefully, this tip will be useful for other users too.

In case you need anything else, remember that we're just a post away.

Cheers!

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am having this exact issue, with no "aftermarket" virus protection or firewall. Just windows defender. 

App will crash after 3-8 seconds of playing a song. 

Hey @wdphilbilly,

Thank you for your reply in this thread. 

In this case, we'd like to gather as much info as possible. Would you mind letting us know exactly what troubleshooting you've tried so far? This'll help us avoid repeating steps.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

LyubkaModerator

I posted all the troubleshooting I went through on another thread that started in june and was marked as "resolved" in november. I am not the only person still having issues. And frankly im over troubleshooting for software that doesnt even have log files. If you want to see what troubleshooting steps I took, go to that thread and follow everything posted in there just as I did. 

My next step in troubleshooting will be to uninstall and move to another platform frankly.  Im already in the process of rebuilding my playlists somewhere else where I actually own the music and support the artist directly anyways. 

Hey @wdphilbilly

Thanks for your reply. 

We're sorry to know you feel this way. We're here to help. 

We checked your post on the Ongoing issue thread, but we couldn't find the exact troubleshooting steps you've already tried. Could you list all the steps you've tried? We're insisting on this because we want to have a better idea of what might be happening so we can help you sort it out. 

If you haven't tried with a different network yet, could you give that a try? You can create a hotspot on your phone and using that to see if anything changes. 

If the issue persists, we'd recommend removing your hosts file. Head here to find out how.

We'll be waiting for your reply. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts