no songs appearing in playlists

Solved!

no songs appearing in playlists

Plan

Premium

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

i noticed that a lot of soungs wouldn't play, and not display any title, cover art, or artist. there was no sound, and the progress bar wasn't moving

i reinstalled spotify, only to now not have any songs in any playlists (not just my own, other playlists i follow now have zero songs in them too).

does anyone know what on earth may be causing this issue?? any help is heavily appreciated

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @9grapes!

This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. On top of what @OneByBoo suggested there is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon. Cheers!

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hey there @9grapes,

thanks for posting in the community !

A few steps i suggest doing:

- Canceling "Hardware Acceleration" on your Spotify Settings

- Close the app

- Run Win update to make sure your OS is fully updated

- Update you audio drivers

Let me know how you did 😃

well, i disabled that option, and it didn't do anything, no songs are showing up. i know i have a ton of songs saved to my library but it just says "your favourite songs will appear here (etc.)"

i then tried the web player only to then not be able to click any of the play buttons, nothing plays.

does anyone know what's happening???

Marked as solution

Hey @9grapes!

This a known bug with the desktop app and Spotify is investigating the issue. On top of what @OneByBoo suggested there is a workaround which seems to be working for some users. Can you try the following steps:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

There is also an open issue about this here where you can track it and vote for it so it catches more attention. I hope this will get fixed on Spotify's end soon. Cheers!

I have excatly the same problem. At first, some of the song were unable to play (when I tried to play some track, the album cover did not appear to bottom left corner, and the playback did not start. After clean reinstall of Spotify player (Windows desktop version on Windows 10), I could not play any track and all the songlists were empty, even spotify generated songlists. I tried to clean install Windows Store version of Spotify player, but it did not make any difference.

On Web Players, the tracks on playlists shows up, but I can not play any of these. The playback does not start, nothing happens when clicking 'Play'. I tried web player on Google Chrome (Version 72.0.3626.119 64-bit), on Firefox (version 65.0.1 32-bit) and even on Internet Explorer 11 and On Edge. Same result on every browser. I have tried to disable all Add-ons on Chrome, but it did not help. I have installed Add-ons on chrome: AdBlock, 

Browsing Protection by F-Secure, DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials, GitZip for github, F-Secure KEY

I have not tried to use other computer.

Any ideas what could I try?

Hi Mantisentil

Thank you! This worked for me too!

@Mantisentil Thank you! you're a godsend, it worked.

I've been having this issue since forver, I'm pretty sure it started to occur when I were using other devices at the same time, like trying to pause my mobile playing music from my PC and it just hiccupped and died on me... 

All Praise Mantis!

I'll be worshipping you now.

@crazymcdee 

You are welcome mate! Keep rocking 🙂

i am having the exact same issue, but I have a Mac.

Does anyone know how I can solve it?

@mungo1235 

For MAC:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop. 
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit.
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, remove them.
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

thanks for trying but that didn't work 😞 

i have same problem with pterv17.

i tried everything what Mantisentil said but its not working too.

what should i do now ?

Hi @Mantisentil ,

I tried doing the same steps, but things won't budge.
I am also a Windows 7 user (32 Bit), and also a have Free Account.

When I tried to edit the 'hosts' file, it did not show any 'Spotify' word in it!
So I can't edit and save because it is already done! 
I did try reinstalling and restarting my pc but still the 'hosts' file did not have 'spotify' in it.

Also when I connect my phone with my PC, it shows my playlists' names but shows that the playlist is empty. Even though it works perfectly on the phone and I can still add and control songs on my phone through my laptop, but fianlly it won't play on my Laptop/PC.

What should I do now? Please Help!!

Suggested posts