Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Songs" not downloaded for offline use

"Songs" not downloaded for offline use

Hi everyone,

I have a question: Why is it that in the Android app my "Songs" are automatically downloaded, but on my Windows 10 laptop my "Songs" are not automatically downloaded and if I want them for offline usage I'd have to manually update a playlist for offline listening every time I add a new song?

Surely spotify should behave as similarly as possible across different platforms?

I honestly thought I was having a tech support issue with my laptop version until I chatted with Spotify Help and found out this is intentional.

What on earth is behind this development decision? Could we please just have a toggle option for downloading or not downloading our "Songs" instead of being forced into two different routes based on platform?

3 Replies

Hello there and welcome to the Spotify Community!

Yes, I must say it is intentional. The reason we do this is because we consider that sometimes the user does not want to have same playlists downloaded on both devices. So that's why we give you the option to have any of them on one device without forcing the other to have them as well.

For example, I have my "In Love ♥" playlist downloaded on my pc, but not on my android phone. Why? Because I don't play it when going out, so that helps me save space 😄

We are truly sorry that you don't like our feature but we try to cover everyone's desire 😞

Have a nice day!

Hi there,

Thanks for the response. I do think you've perhaps misunderstood me though. I agree that having the option to have one playlist set to "download" on one device but not on another is useful and beneficial.

What I'm specifically objecting to is that within the "Your Music" section, "Songs" auto-downloads on Android but not on PC. There is no option to set these to be downloadable or not (which, frankly I think would be the best solution). They are automatically downloaded on Android, and they are not automatically downloaded on PC, and there is nothing a user can do to change this. This seems really odd to me and I honestly thought it was a bug.

Is there a reason for this?

Hello again!

You are right, I misunderstood. My sincerest apology.

I just checked as you ask, and yes there is no download button. I guess it'll take someone to take a look under the hood.

If you want, you can post it as an idea in this section and if you get enough likes, it will be considered by Spotify!

Once again, sorry for misunderstanding and for the issue you are dealing with 😞

Have a nice day!

Suggested posts