"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Solved!

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

suicidegrrrl
Casual Listener

Plan

Free

Country

Canada

Device

Dell laptop c. 2015

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify gives me the error message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." when I try to play any song from a certain album (TeenWitch by BONES). It has happened at least 4 times between opening and closing the app. I have the album downloaded as well and it is imported to spotify. Is this album being censored by spotify? I am allowing explicit songs and have good connection. Everything else works. Let me know if this is the wrongsection/forum.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

Keanu_C
Rock Star 8
Rock Star 8

Hmmm.... i checked to make sure that songs were available in your region and it is so im not sure whats going on.  However another thing you could try is delete local file cache. To do this go to %appdata% > roaming > Spotify > User > Your Account Name > delete Local-Files.   Also make sure that you are closed out of Spotify before doing this so then when you launch Spotify again it would already be corrected. 

Let me know how it goes!
Keanu_C

Keanu_CRock Star 8
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Solution!

Mike_van_esch

Okay, so incase that didn't work for you, as it didn't for me, I found another solution.

Open control panel and go to Hardware and Sound>Sound. Click on your default device and open properties>Advanced. Then change the format to something higher or lower. After pressing 'Apply' My Spotify worked again. (After it worked, set your quality to the highest it can go, better audio quality and all)

Step 2.png
Step 3.png
Step 4.png
Solution!

newbie1966
Casual Listener

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of things, but try changing your speaker output. (on your system)

Solution!

LuckasKings
Visitor
If anyone still wondering here, like me, and tried all methods here and none resolved. It was so simple which made me think I'm the dumbest person in the world.

Windows Settings > System > Sound > Advanced Sound Options > App Volume and Device Preferences.

If Spotify isn't showing, try to play anything. If showing in the list, check if the "Output" box is selected with the your Output device you are using (Headset, speakers, TV, etc.). Mine was blank, I switched to my Headset and it solved.

Best regards from Brazil

Lucas L. C. Reis

173 Replies

erwin_m
Regular

Million thanks, that did the trick for me as well!!! Unbelievable that the "standard output" gives this error message, but at least on my macbook pro this is the solution. Will check it when back home.

ruttolomeo
Casual Listener

I tried every solution suggested in this and other threads but nothing worked.

I can't play not only single tracks but entire playlists. The "Your Discover Weekly" playlist is completely inaccessible. Sometimes, when a song ends, it starts skipping one by one all the remaining tracks.

System: Desktop pc

Solution!

Mike_van_esch

Okay, so incase that didn't work for you, as it didn't for me, I found another solution.

Open control panel and go to Hardware and Sound>Sound. Click on your default device and open properties>Advanced. Then change the format to something higher or lower. After pressing 'Apply' My Spotify worked again. (After it worked, set your quality to the highest it can go, better audio quality and all)

Step 2.png
Step 3.png
Step 4.png

This worked for me! Thanks. Had updated Spotify, restarted laptop, logged out of Spotify none of which made any difference. In Control Panel I selected 'Sound' and then followed the rest of your post.

plsloan

My fix was to reinstall my audio driver.

sarahstegemana

The solution listed did not work for me. Instead, I was able to fix the problem through Apps & Features > Spotify > Advanced Options > Reset / Repair. Hopefully this will help someone else if they are also unable to fix with the posted solution. 

swimlittlefishi

I had this issue and couldn't play any songs at all, tried every solution i could find and nothing worked. However I then discovered there was an error in sounds preventing my speakers from working at all.. therein lies the root for me at least. I opened realtek audio manager and changed from 5.1 to stereo, spotify and everything immediately started working again.

Seren_Dust

wow @swimlittlefishi Thank you. I can't believe i spent hours not understanding what's going on with my spotify and trying every single solution of these 5 pages, only to realize that spotify WON'T play a song just because my headset wasn't ON, and therefore Windows couldn't detect an output source. 

*insert facepalm emoji here*

SethXRGC

This was my exact same problem after a reset Windows reset my default sound settings. 

gazzamoose
Casual Listener

This is related to the 'explicit content' setting on the mobile app.

I was getting this error on my desktop app but realised it was only for the 'explicit' songs. I fixed it like this:

1. Go to the mobile app/Your Library/Settings

2. In "Explicit Content", ensure this is checked to 'Allow'

3. Close and restart the desktop app

4. Happy days, all OK!

Although the explicit content setting doesn't exist in the desktop app, it must be using the setting from the mobile app somehow.

toyotome

thank you! it solves the issue 😉 i was mad with that

DC69
Casual Listener
You say: Although the explicit content setting doesn't exist in the desktop app, it must be using the setting from the mobile app somehow.
But this is not possible because I have never ever installed Spotify mobile app. Never. I only use Spotify in 2 places: my work PC and my home PC (different PCs).

gazzamoose
Casual Listener
OK; well I can only say that this worked for me. You must have some other
issue.
Check the rest of this thread - there seemed to be some other solutions
being suggested.
Good luck!

xzahn

I had the same problem few hours ago. I got that message for any song I tried to play.

Did everything suggested in the comments but nothing worked. 

I tried playing something from my phone listening on my PC. That did not work either. What worked was opening the Web Player on my PC, chosing to listen on my desktop app. I also have an external monitor plugged to my laptop via VGA and my playback device was thrown off to Display Audio so I switched it back to Speakers (or whichever you use) and I got audio. 

Restarted the Spotify app and it all went back to normal.

Not sure what went there but I hope this helps!

Zaj1
Regular
My account was getting an error and they actually had to make a new account
and delete my broken one

MambaMama

Allow the songs labeled with "Don't play this song". I found that some songs I didn't allow to play couldn't be played on the computer

user-removed
Not applicable
yeah

user-removed
Not applicable

ok ppl are saying delete everything on that location pathway,

STILL WONT WORK 

-1_i2rys4uoi8
Casual Listener
That is what I did and it worked thanks

sharon_xu

I have done it, but it just won't play and it is gray. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 8.47.16 PM.png

SkyForce6
Regular

That song is greyed out on my end as well (Sweden) That is not the issue being discussed in this thread. If a song is greyed out it typically means that song is not available in your region due to copyright reasons. The issue being talked about in this thread is getting that error message despite a song not being greyed out so it should be playable but is not. The solution provided in this thread worked like a charm for me!

SUGGESTED POSTS