"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

I found that the problem was that I didn't have an audio device connected. My computer was not recognising my bluetooth headphones for some reason. Once I connected my wired headphones, the error message went away and Spotify started working again.

Re: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it

Casual Listener

Thank you Jakegoldsmith!!  You are an answer to prayer.  I’ve tried all of the above...forgot that I unplugged my headphones....duh!  No device!

thanks again!

Highlighted

Visitor

Hi, This has happened to all of the songs I've imported to my playlist. Its grayed out on the play gives me the error message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it". " I can still play these songs from the playlist on my iPhone. I have the playlist downloaded on my iPhone, but not on the computer so I think that's causing the difference. So do I need to re-add every song? Or is there another way? P.s I have tried deleting the local files in the user folder already. Anyways thanks in advance.

Highlighted

Regular

Hi, so OK,  this happened to me again (second time), few days ago, my previous methood did not work. In short, simply (for Windows OS) shut down spotify,  go to the folder C:\Users\'name of your pc'\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Users  now rename or delete all files having the ending .bnk in all folders in the 'user' folder (if there are more than one folder)  then when you are sure there are no .bnk 'old' files left, reboot your PC and you should be good !! hopefully 🙂

Btw. this happened to my spotify when I clicked a song that one of the people I follow was listening too !!

Highlighted

This is happening on my iMac. Do you have a solution for OS Mojave?

Highlighted
Solution!

Casual Listener

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of things, but try changing your speaker output. (on your system)

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Visitor

Highlighted

F*ck, this was it! changed the audio device and it worked! thank you!
Highlighted

Visitor
This did it for me! Thanks, Keanu_C!

Deleting the local files first did nothing,then disabling hardware accel. did it.
It was skipping every song before this!
Much appreciated.
Highlighted

Hi there @bmaan,

Glad to hear this got resolved for you! 

We appreciate that you marked @ Keanu_C's answer as a Solution. This way you'll help others who are in the same situation as you get their question answered and their Spotify running in no time! 

Feel free to reach out whenever you need a helping hand with anything Spotify-related. 

Have a great day and enjoy your music!

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

SUGGESTED POSTS