"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Solved!

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

suicidegrrrl
Casual Listener

Plan

Free

Country

Canada

Device

Dell laptop c. 2015

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify gives me the error message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." when I try to play any song from a certain album (TeenWitch by BONES). It has happened at least 4 times between opening and closing the app. I have the album downloaded as well and it is imported to spotify. Is this album being censored by spotify? I am allowing explicit songs and have good connection. Everything else works. Let me know if this is the wrongsection/forum.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

Keanu_C
Rock Star 8
Rock Star 8

Hmmm.... i checked to make sure that songs were available in your region and it is so im not sure whats going on.  However another thing you could try is delete local file cache. To do this go to %appdata% > roaming > Spotify > User > Your Account Name > delete Local-Files.   Also make sure that you are closed out of Spotify before doing this so then when you launch Spotify again it would already be corrected. 

Let me know how it goes!
Keanu_C

Keanu_CRock Star 8
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Solution!

Mike_van_esch

Okay, so incase that didn't work for you, as it didn't for me, I found another solution.

Open control panel and go to Hardware and Sound>Sound. Click on your default device and open properties>Advanced. Then change the format to something higher or lower. After pressing 'Apply' My Spotify worked again. (After it worked, set your quality to the highest it can go, better audio quality and all)

Step 2.png
Step 3.png
Step 4.png
Solution!

newbie1966
Casual Listener

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of things, but try changing your speaker output. (on your system)

Solution!

LuckasKings
Visitor
If anyone still wondering here, like me, and tried all methods here and none resolved. It was so simple which made me think I'm the dumbest person in the world.

Windows Settings > System > Sound > Advanced Sound Options > App Volume and Device Preferences.

If Spotify isn't showing, try to play anything. If showing in the list, check if the "Output" box is selected with the your Output device you are using (Headset, speakers, TV, etc.). Mine was blank, I switched to my Headset and it solved.

Best regards from Brazil

Lucas L. C. Reis

173 Replies

jmacdoug
Casual Listener

i dont have a spotify folder in appdata-roaming, im in wondows 10

Arkthur_US
Regular

If you're using the Windows 10 app, then its local files will be in "C:\Users\<windows_user>\AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_<random_characters>\LocalState\Spotify\Users\<spotify_user>-user".

Zaj1
Regular

I still can not get it to play any song by Hollywood Undead

Zaj1
Regular
I downloaded it from the webpage and I can't play any of these songs on my
phone either

yoga-girl

I'm facing the same problem with several songs/albums on a MacBook, and I don't know how to solve it with the description above. Can you please help me out?

Schermafbeelding 2018-10-08 om 09.52.22.png

ethanjohnthethi

you sir just put an end to two hours of me slowly going insane/becoming steadily more and more irate, to the point were i was straight up about to cancel my spotify account, while trying to get spotify to play the **bleep**ing songs i downloaded. from the bottom of my heart, thank you

soszoe
Casual Listener

It works fine, but be carefull at choosing what files to delete, the name of he folder are not exactly the same (in windows 7)

limitlesslive

Where do you find this info on a mac? I cannot seem to find it and I am having this same issue.

Zorglubb
Regular

Hi.. Many thanks for the solution.. however it did only work after deleting/renaming the local-files.bnk in all accounts in the Spotify Users folder !!

In my case this "thing" happened right after shutting down the TV connected to my PC via HDMI while playing !! - There should not be any connection between the two.. but who knows whats cooking 🙂

remnantofjoseph
Casual Listener

I had the same issue happen after trying to play a list I downloaded and tried to play via a HDMI connection to my TV.  Spotify needs to fix this!

I just tried re-naming the local .bnk file and still no luck.

remnantofjoseph
Casual Listener

SOLVED!  I had two local files and re-named only one before.  Just re-looked and found two local files and re-named the 2nd one and now we are playing music!

mkjurey
Casual Listener

Hi!  Do you know how I find the local files on a Mac in order to re-name them?  I don't know how to find the .bnk files.  Thanks!! 

l4zyl4dy

I have the same problem on my windows PC but can't get anything to play at all! I get this error message for everything from downloaded albums to Daily Mix selections.

The same account works fine on my ipad or phone app though. Any ideas?

ybico
Visitor

check file songs permissions.

Zorglubb
Regular

Hi.. this is a local PC issue.. pls. start with Keanu_C's solution, scroll bit up. "

"Hmmm.... i checked to make sure that songs were available in your region and it is so im not sure whats going on.  However another thing you could try is delete local file cache. To do this go to %appdata% > roaming > Spotify > User > Your Account Name > delete Local-Files.   Also make sure that you are closed out of Spotify before doing this so then when you launch Spotify again it would already be corrected."

If it does not work.. then do what solved my thing... If you have more files in the User folder.. open all of them and delete or rename the 'Local-files.bnk'  if you need detailed description.. and the location is different depending on your Windows version.. to find it.. open File explorer.. click "This PC" in the list on the left (C/: drive) then in the right-hand upper corner is a search window.. type in it .bnk and hit enter.. you shuld get bunch of files.. locate the  one having 'local-files.bnk' get your mouse pointer over it.. right click and find, (close to bottom), "open file location" in the list that appears and you are there.. PLS. note.. if you have more thant one location for Spotify 'local-files.bnk' you have to delete or rename all of them.. Important shut down Spotify before you do this...  renaming can be like this.. local-file_bnk.xxx Rest should be clear. Hopfully this solves your issjú 😉

kay38
Visitor
Zorgglub, thank you. Renaming local-files.bnk fixed my problem of all imported local files would not play. I also had to tell Spotify desktop where my local files were, it didn't point to my Music folder anymore. I am a transfer from Google Play so I was missing over 1500 tracks because of this error. Thanks again!

evagerke
Visitor

I renamed of all the bnk items. It still wont play any music at all. But on my phone everything works perfectly fine. Do you know what to do?

Zorglubb
Regular

Hi Evagerke, I really do not know, this is rather annoying when it happens. In my case this has only happened twice, in both cases on my 8yr old Windows 7 pro 64 OS. First time the renaming worked, second time, closing all applications and shutting the PC down and ON again after ~60 secs. The second time, I lost connection to an HDMI audio source and as a result of that, something messed up Spotify with this results. This must have to do with "slim chance bug" in Spotify software and "not known yet" Software variable in the OS.. Has nothing to do with the rest of your Spotify devices as mobiles or other of your PC's /LT's.

I suggest you to begin with reboot of your PC, but be sure to shut all applications down before you shut down. Wait a minute before you start your PC again. If this does not work.. try the renaming again. If nothing works and you are about to explode, you can try taking your PC back in time using a recent restore point (windows OS) this is only a suggestion and on your own risk, I really do not know if it helps.  Good luck.  

Zorglubb
Regular
OK.. bit more, after quickly going through all the discussion in this thread.. most have the issue solved when making sure the audio output is correctly set / working.. so check that one. the error message, partly, fully makes sense if there is no working audio output on your device. Most of the time the audio output is reset when rebooting.. !!!

Ash56
Visitor

Hey so my spotify plays music normally but when i got into a game spotify just stops and starts skipping through my whole playlist really fast

if you could help that'd be awsome

helpplease111
Visitor

SUGGESTED POSTS