"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Solved!

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

suicidegrrrl
Casual Listener

Plan

Free

Country

Canada

Device

Dell laptop c. 2015

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify gives me the error message "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." when I try to play any song from a certain album (TeenWitch by BONES). It has happened at least 4 times between opening and closing the app. I have the album downloaded as well and it is imported to spotify. Is this album being censored by spotify? I am allowing explicit songs and have good connection. Everything else works. Let me know if this is the wrongsection/forum.

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

Keanu_C
Rock Star 8
Rock Star 8

Hmmm.... i checked to make sure that songs were available in your region and it is so im not sure whats going on.  However another thing you could try is delete local file cache. To do this go to %appdata% > roaming > Spotify > User > Your Account Name > delete Local-Files.   Also make sure that you are closed out of Spotify before doing this so then when you launch Spotify again it would already be corrected. 

Let me know how it goes!
Keanu_C

Keanu_CRock Star 8
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Solution!

Mike_van_esch

Okay, so incase that didn't work for you, as it didn't for me, I found another solution.

Open control panel and go to Hardware and Sound>Sound. Click on your default device and open properties>Advanced. Then change the format to something higher or lower. After pressing 'Apply' My Spotify worked again. (After it worked, set your quality to the highest it can go, better audio quality and all)

Step 2.png
Step 3.png
Step 4.png
Solution!

newbie1966
Casual Listener

I know it doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of things, but try changing your speaker output. (on your system)

Solution!

LuckasKings
Visitor
If anyone still wondering here, like me, and tried all methods here and none resolved. It was so simple which made me think I'm the dumbest person in the world.

Windows Settings > System > Sound > Advanced Sound Options > App Volume and Device Preferences.

If Spotify isn't showing, try to play anything. If showing in the list, check if the "Output" box is selected with the your Output device you are using (Headset, speakers, TV, etc.). Mine was blank, I switched to my Headset and it solved.

Best regards from Brazil

Lucas L. C. Reis

173 Replies

Keanu_C
Rock Star 8
Rock Star 8

Hey @suicidegrrrl Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Try disabling hardware acceleration in your settings. To find this go to Settings >  Scroll Down and Selected Advanced Settings > Then scroll down and disabled hardware acceleration. 

Let me know how it goes!

Keanu_C

Keanu_CRock Star 8

bmaan
Visitor
This did it for me! Thanks, Keanu_C!

Deleting the local files first did nothing,then disabling hardware accel. did it.
It was skipping every song before this!
Much appreciated.

Petya
Community Legend

Hi there @bmaan,

Glad to hear this got resolved for you! 

We appreciate that you marked @ Keanu_C's answer as a Solution. This way you'll help others who are in the same situation as you get their question answered and their Spotify running in no time! 

Feel free to reach out whenever you need a helping hand with anything Spotify-related. 

Have a great day and enjoy your music!

PetyaModerator

MarkTads
Visitor

I think it's a bug. Changing your output/playback device and putting it back is not a solution. So every time you start Spotify and play a song you need to do this?

RupertB
Casual Listener

I'm having the same problem. I have two output devices and Spotify is only able to play songs if I actively switch from the current default one to the other. Then I can switch back to my desired output and I can still play. I have to do this every time I start Spotify! It's definitely a bug when every other piece of software under the sun except Spotify knows how to play audio on current output device without bugging out!

I've tried disabling the other output device but to no avail. If there's just one output and no other output to switch to it doesn't work.

kelleykk
Visitor
I'm having the same issue with songs simply changing to the next and never playing. I can use spotify on other devices, and use the app on my PC if I cast it to another device. I've tried all of the above suggestions and still cannot get this to work. I also cannot figure out how to put in some sort of ticket for help.

andrewboote
Casual Listener

I also had this issue for a few weeks now.  Latest update of the desktop client seems to have fixed it, so try updating.

No Spotify change log or transparency into what issues are being tracked by the Dev staff for fixing, so you'll never know if this was a widespread or known issue chosen to be fixed.

RobinDJ
Regular

Agreed - the latest update seems to have fixed it for me to, fingers crossed that's it now! 

RobinDJ
Regular

Actually, after 1 restart its broken again.

Stromming
Visitor

Setting Spotify to run as admin from root exe did the trick...

wth?

RobinDJ
Regular

Yup - running as admin works for me too?

andrewboote
Casual Listener

Yep, nope.  Just shat itself again.  Had it open and running all day.  Closed it down, played a few games, back to the same issue again.

andrewboote
Casual Listener

Scratch that, running it as Admin made it work.  Saw this:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Spotify-can-t-play-this-right-now-on-every-song/td-...

Genius.  An app that plays music from the internet needs local admin privileges.  10/10 for excluding anyone wishing to listen to music on a device like a work or school administrated machine.

Feel free to answer why Spotify needs local admin rights to work, but please add the considerations you've made for exposing an additional attack surface on my machine.

R3dkn33
Visitor

I have had this issue today.

I found a direct mode in my AE5 sound card that makes the sound better. If I restart the computer or close Spotify then I get the error "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it"

Changing back to nondirect mode makes Spotify run as expected, change back to direct whilst running works fine as well. the problem comes when a restart of close of the Spotify app.

I did notice when I changed to direct Spotify did update.

direct.PNG

KYGuitarGirl

Thanks so much for your help. I've been having issues with my Spotify on my laptop and your instructions helped me to get my laptop Spotify to play. 

suicidegrrrl
Casual Listener
This did not solve it. I disabled hardware accelerators, restarted: still
same message. Turned back on, restart: same message. Every other song
works; it is only this album (TeenWitch - BONES). Is it blacklisted or
something?

jfbbfj
Casual Listener

When I play the exact same file on my iPhone, i t works, but when I try to play it on mi iMac it does not play.

Solution!

Keanu_C
Rock Star 8
Rock Star 8

Hmmm.... i checked to make sure that songs were available in your region and it is so im not sure whats going on.  However another thing you could try is delete local file cache. To do this go to %appdata% > roaming > Spotify > User > Your Account Name > delete Local-Files.   Also make sure that you are closed out of Spotify before doing this so then when you launch Spotify again it would already be corrected. 

Let me know how it goes!
Keanu_C

Keanu_CRock Star 8

GeneralKenobi
Casual Listener

Two years in the future, this is happening to me on Windows 10 1909... If perhaps I update to 2004 or soon 2009, unsure if it would work again. Something is not right and I am already on the edge of just switching to Linux as Windows cannot seem to maintain itself. As per the subject, I am experiencing this issue. Spotify works on my Phone; have not checked my laptop... yet. But for the most part I assume it is just my desktop being a complete spaz, rather Windows. I have already reinstalled the app three times already to no avail. Any suggestions? Should I just obliterate Windows and move to Linux?

mindbender9
Casual Listener

Try lowering your Windows audio sample rate to 44.1kHz (or any rate below 19200) in the Windows Audio settings. If you need steps, look earlier in this thread for my 7/22/2020 post which has steps to do this. 

You can start by setting the sample rate to 44.1kHz (then click Apply), and raising it to a higher value after. But this is what fixed this issue for me (I couldn’t go higher than 19200Hz). 

If this doesn’t help, there might be something else that is causing a compatibility issue with the Spotify application. It isn’t Windows 10 at fault, but rather the Spotify application refusing to work with a sample rate above 19200Hz. The Spotify developers need to fix this because Amazon HD, Tidal and Qobuz don’t have this problem. 

Hope this helps. 

efe_ilicak

Thank you so much for this solution. I was wondering why my desktop app was not playing music for the last couple days - although when I start music from the web player I was able to listen & control it via the desktop app.  

After your post I remembered that I have recently changed my sound settings to highest available. Reducing it to "32 bit, 19200Hz" solved the issue. Many thanks! 

SUGGESTED POSTS