Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Plan

Premium

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I keep getting the above message whenever I try and play a song on the desktop app (it works fine on web browsers and my phone).

I have reinstalled, changed speaker options, disabled hardware acceleration, deleted local files, etc. all the 'fixes' I can find online.

Please help.

11 Replies

Having the same problem for the last two days.  Started happening out of nowhere.  Following for an answer

Same here!

Same here, happening since yesterday.

I did everything suggested:

-Disable Hardware Acceleration (was already off, so i tried to turn on and off again)

-Reset preference of Audio Device

-Swap Audio Device

-Windows Updates, restart PC, and other common things

-Update Spotify

-Uninstall Spotify

-Install old version

-Install Spotify from the Windows Store

-Delete any entry from the windows host file (never had anything related to spotify anyway since i'm premium)

-Delete temporary file in %appdata%

and every other method suggested in every youtube video and post in this forum.

The web player works, but the desktop version doesn't.

Same issues here.

Started happening on the 30th of June 2020. Works on web player, phone, and google home devices. Desktop app on Windows 10 pro (no updates pending) with a premium account. Desktop app gives me the "Spotify can't play this ..." message. I can control other devices from the desktop app, but can't play on "this computer".

I've tried changing audio output, changing hardware acceleration settings (though that even being related seems a serious bug in itself), deleted local files, deleted and reinstalled the entire app, reset my router (though again, every other device on my internet connection is fine). None of these have solved the problem.

Really hoping this gets sorted soon, or a solution is found.

Hi, I've been having the same issue as all of you.

I solved it by running the app with admin rights.

It sucks, but it works.

I confirm that running ad administrator works for me, thanks.

It was one of the first thing i tried to do, uninstall Spotify and install it again as administrator, but it doesn't even let you to install as admin, so i didn't even tried to run as admin. Tonight i would have done a frustrating session of Process monitor to sort it out, so thanks again for avoiding me that, lol.

Working for me too. I'd like to see this issue fixed, since it shouldn't need admin rights to run.

As a workaround for now, if you right click the EXE and go into properties, you can set it to always run as administrator, rather than having to manually run as admin every time.

I have done all the above and running as administrator DOES NOT WORK for me. Still having the issue, PLEASE HELP

I'm having the same issue too. Spotify was working fine till I had to restart my computer for another piece of software I installed. Computer updated at the same time. However running Spotify as an admin hasn't worked for me either.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

We're sorry for the late response, we just stumbled upon this thread. If you're still experiencing issues with this, it's a good idea to clean reinstall Spotify on the device where this occurs. This step lets you start afresh with the latest app version by removing any corrupted files from previous installations. 

If that doesn't fix thing, we recommend restarting your router and disabling any Firewall software and making sure Spotify is allowed through the Firewall settings.

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

mine works fine after i change my playback device

Suggested posts