Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Solved!

"Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it."

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Samsung ion Laptop

Operating System

Windows

My Question or Issue

I recently changed my laptop so I downloaded Spotify again. When I tried to play a dong there would be a notice that says "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." I tried re-installing it, re-logging in. How can I fix this problem?

20200615_123421406.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @hj308,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

At this point, even if you already reinstalled the app, i'd be good for you to check this Spotify Answer and perform a "thorough" reinstall of the app (as opposed to a "simple" reinstall) with your Windows. Deleting any remaining traces of your current Spotify setup and then installing the app from scratch might likely do the trick in this case.

We'll look out for your updates and be here if there's anything else we can help with. Let us know how you get on!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

31 Replies

Hey @hj308,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Would you mind sharing this song's link with us? We'll see how it goes when we open it so we can let you know what can be done next.

We'll look out for your updates and be here if there's anything else we can help with in the meantime!

Mario Moderator

It happens all the time no matter which song I turn on 😞
Marked as solution

Hey @hj308,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

At this point, even if you already reinstalled the app, i'd be good for you to check this Spotify Answer and perform a "thorough" reinstall of the app (as opposed to a "simple" reinstall) with your Windows. Deleting any remaining traces of your current Spotify setup and then installing the app from scratch might likely do the trick in this case.

We'll look out for your updates and be here if there's anything else we can help with. Let us know how you get on!

Mario Moderator

I've got the same problem here.

Did the complete uninstal/re-instal, but still can't play any music/podcasts.

Are there any other possible solutions?

I deleted everything that the page you linked me said and re-installed it. It still wouldn't make any difference 😞 Everything else works, I can make playlists, discover podcasts but I just can't listen to anything.. I wonder what's going on.

Just did another un/re-instal, bud had to remove alot more files i found following these 2 steps mentioned in the link:

"10. In addition, you can run a search on your device to look for any leftover Spotify folders left. If you find any, make sure to delete them.

11. Shut down your device, wait a couple of minutes and switch it on again."

Found some more files with the search. after deleting these, and a shutdown/startup (not just a restart) of the pc everything works again, Thanks!

Hat about 20mins of music, and then the problem was back again....

Hi,

I am suffering the same problem since the day before yesterday. Premium Spotify app on windows 10 can not reproduce the song, any song at any time.

I notice that on opening the app at the bottom of the left bar shows in a blue box "no connection", which disappears after a few seconds.

I reinstalled the app wiping cache but no difference. Problem might or might not have a relation with my updating my android app to the latest version, I'm not sure they coincided. If they didn´t problem started shortly after updating. Did not make any change to my desk top so I don't think that by diving in my computer's registry and such will solve this problem.
Webplayer on windows is working fine, fortunately!

Tank you, the only trick working for me is to execute with admin rights.✌️

Smells like someone messed up something somewhere.

This is driving me nuts. It won't allow me to play and I get the same error dialog everytime

spotify can't play this right now if you have the file on your computer you can import it

Still digging for a fix.

I get this error when I try to connect to a device, specifically my receiver, using Spotify Connect. I can skip songs, forward or back, but I cannot select a specific song to play. 

To avoid this I have to go back to Connect to a devoice and select "This Computer," then pick the song to play, then reconnect to my receiver.

Any suggestions? I've tried executing with admin rights and uninstalling. It is specific to connecting to other devices.

I found a fix if youre using a dac/amp Check your sound sample rate max for spotify is 192k hz fixed my problem
PS k is = 1000

I'm having this error show up too, but I've just discovered today that it's intermittent. It only effects some songs, some of the time, but it can be a whole bunch of songs at once.

Before the most recent app update (I'm using the desktop app, not the one from the Windows App store), I was playing around with sorting my Liked Songs by title, and a bunch of songs starting with B wouldn't play in the order. But after the app updated, it was a different bunch of songs in the "A"s, and the other ones were perfectly fine and playable. I don't know what this means.

I don't want to uninstall this app, because editing playlists has been accessible with my screen-reader for months now and I don't want to lose that by switching to the Windows 10 app.

Hi there @the_imaginatrix,

Thanks for posting in the Community!

We can suggest you to log out and then to log back in, in the app twice in a row, as this triggers a refresh between the app and your account and may help to resolve any possible cache-related issues. Make sure that you always have stable internet connection while streaming, as this might also be a reason for this error message to appear. 

Also keep in mind that sometimes there are content changes and some songs/shows might no longer be playable due to various factors (most usually regional copyrights). That's why we suggest you to also check and if needed to disable the switch for 'Show unplayable songs' in your Settings menu under the Playback section.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator

Damn, thank you very much, after hours of researching this fixed it.

Hey @Veaoleh1996,

Thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear that your issue was resolved 🙂

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

Oh my God thank you so much! Just got a new dac/amp and all of a sudden spotify didn't work. This fixed it immediately.

if this ever happens to you dowload spotify through the browser instead of the microsoft app store

Suggested posts