Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"This song is not available. If you have the file on your computer you can import it"

"This song is not available. If you have the file on your computer you can import it"

I have been a Premium user for the last couple of years, and over the last couple of months I have had trouble streaming music from my laptop. I keep getting the error message "This song is not available. If you have the file on your computer you can import it" for every song I try to play. However, I can stream perfectly fine from my phone. My payment information is correct, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and still no luck. I haven't been able to find a solution to this problem on other Community posts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

77 Replies

@danks wrote:
  1. I am able to browse to the "Local Files" list in the desktop app and see that the songs are listed there, that they are NOT grayed-out, but also NOT playable. I get the "This song is not available. If you have the file on your computer you can import it" message when trying to play every song in the list. Why I get this here is a total mystery. This is, after all, the "Local Files" list.
  2. I was able to add these songs to playlists using drag-and-drop in the desktop app. In these playlists, the songs are listed there, they are NOT grayed out, but again also NOT playable (note that this is in the desktop app). The aforementioned "unavailable" message appears everytime I try to play one of these songs. The same behavior as when I tried to play from the "Local Files" list.
  3. NOW HERE IS THE STRANGE THING: When I go to my MOBILE app on my phone, navigate to the playlist to which I added the above songs, I the songs are listed there, they are NOT grayed out, and I AM able to play the song!

same here
package: spotify  1.0.72.117-1
Linux: Arch  4.14.23-1-lts

Following the "clean delete" instructions you outlined worked for me. Thanks!

Fix described by jacoblaf on ‎2018-02-21 04:35 AM worked for me. This removes all files from the Local Files list. I would add that after applying the procedure you should go to Spotify Preferences and disable all the sliders in the Local Files section. And check that the Local Files list is really empty

Did you have any luck?

I'm on Debian too and having the EXACT same issues you had.

In my phone they work fine... it's good, I guess. But I spend most of my time on my linux machine, i want them to work there.

Hi

Yes, worked for me (on my Mac). The key is to keeping the Local Files list
(which you can see in the Spotify app) empty.

Hey Spotify, fix this, that's why we are paying you Premium for!

If we have to torrent it so we can import it in Spotify, why bother with Spotity I ask myself

That worked for me!

Just glad I'm not on premium.... cancelled subscription ages ago because of issues I had and due to other issues that dozens of people were complaining about on forums that weren't getting fixed for months on end. Even though stuff like Spotify pausing ads when sounds were muted on system level have been removed, it still gives me no incentive to resub.

And now look, this thread's dated to '16 about files on Local that can't be played. I've tried adding files to Local myself and... oh look -- they're unplayable. Either there's that blue 'lol Y U Premium' error you all see, or the local files simply don't play or have sound. Not surprised.

Listening to ads is worth it for me.

GG.

WTF.png

went to preferences, scrolled down to local files and switched off "downloads" in section "show songs from".
helped me at least, hope it helps you too

Had 'downloads' and 'music' disabled in preferences.

Thanks for the help tho.

Just don't use snap, remove using snap and install it with apt like this:

# 1. Add the Spotify repository signing keys to be able to verify downloaded packages
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 0DF731E45CE24F27EEEB1450EFDC8610341D9410

# 2. Add the Spotify repository
echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list

# 3. Update list of available packages
sudo apt-get update

# 4. Install Spotify
sudo apt-get install spotify-client

I'm using an HP laptop and I don't know why but it keeps on saying, "This song is not available. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." Please help. ;(

I had the same issue on my Mac. I was able to fix it, though, by going into Settings > Local Files > and disabling all of the "Show Songs From" sliders. I also scrolled down to "Display Options" and disabled "Show unavailable songs in playlists" and now I can listen to the songs that were previously not allowing me to listen to them. Likely has to do with downloaded albums and songs. 

I've only started having this problem tonight but your solution did not fix it 😞 I am on a chat with Spotify support at the moment ...

Didn't work for me 😞 

This suggestion worked like a charm!!!! Appcleaner for Mac is also a free appilcation that does the same thing.

Hey, I had same problem as well.  Here's how I solved it.

• Logged in my account to the Spotify App
  • Searched the song that was unavailable (This song is not available, if you have the file on your copmuter you can import it)
  • Tapped on the three dots beside it 
  • Disabled "Don't Play This"

Hope this helps with your problem.

jacoblaf knows what's up. I've been having this issue for years now and have never been able to properly resolve it. This is THE FIX.

Suggested posts