Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"This song is not available" message for tracks in local files

"This song is not available" message for tracks in local files

I'm getting the "This song is not available. If you have the file on your computer you can import it" message for an album I have just added to my local files (Music for People in Trouble by Susanne Sundfor). If I switch off local files in Preferences it plays as normal but as soon as I check the box to show tracks from iTunes (which is where the album and all my other music is located), none of the songs will play on desktop. I've tried unchecking local files, restarting Spotify, restarting my laptop and even a clean reinstall and the problem still persists. Is there any way I can get Spotify to play either a) my files (which play fine on iTunes) or the version of the album in the library? Thanks.

2 Replies

Hey @GCWright,

Welcome to the Spotify Community!

Let's first try a clean reinstall:

1. Log out of Spotify and then close the program.
  2. Uninstall
  3. Browse to the cache. The default location should be C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage and delete everything inside the folder.
  4. Delete the folder C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Spotify\Users\<user>\ There is a folder for each profile that has been logged into Spotify on that computer account.
  5. Reinstall.

Also, the issue might appear while using headphones, usb or bluetooth speakers. Try plugging them out and back in. Hopefully that'll fix it.

If not, this issue is being looked into in this thread. You should post there if you want to be in the loop of further developments.

Let us know how it goes though!

Thanks for the reply - I'd already tried a clean reinstall as metioned in the original post, no luck with that I'm afraid. In the end the only workaround I could find was to amend the artist name for all the tracks on the album in iTunes, which stopped Spotify linking to them. No idea why Spotify couldn't play those files though. I know there aren't any plans to bring the feature back but it would be really helpful to have the option to unlink local files!

Suggested posts