Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"We can't play this song until you allow this artist in the spotify phone app"

Solved!

"We can't play this song until you allow this artist in the spotify phone app"

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Mobile & PC

Operating System

Android & Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I'm trying to play music from the band "Pendulum" but whenever i press play i get a message popup saying:
"Spotify We can't play this song until you allow this artist in the spotify phone app"

When i try playing it on my phone nothing happens at all.
I've looked around on my phone but i don't see where im supposed to "allow" this artist to be played on my phone app. Even less why i have to allow it in the first place...

ea5d1074f9177db2b67ce839c1e581c9.png
29 Replies
Marked as solution

In the latest version of the Spotify phone app, you should be able to fix it.

1. Search for the affected arist's page on the Spotify phone app. You will need to go to their artist page.

2. Ordinarily there should be a Follow button up the top right near the artist name, there is like a  🚫 symbol. Click on that.

3. You will need to restart the Spotify app on your desktop.

You can try adding a song to your library, it worked several times for me.

I contacted Spotify support on Twitter @spotifycares and they were able to fix the issue by logging in to my account and unblocking those artists. Apparently, that's the only way to fix this and there is no option in the interface for it.

Worked like a charm.  Thanks.

I have logged into the app on my mobile. This solution does not work. There is not such a symbol or Follow button up.

Thanks for that worked perfectly - Wish Spotify would stop stuffing about with my frikin settings

Click on the three dots on the top right corner in the artist's page, you'll then see the "Allow to play this" option.

Same problem again and again. Works temporarily if I uninstall & reinstall the app but will come back after playing the artist I'm having problems with. Spotify has always been riddled with glitches and has a pretty poor interface but this is unacceptable. I've cancelled my premium account and will give Amazon unlimited a go instead. More money to Jeff Bezos.

Hey there @AC21,

Welcome to the Community!

We are aware of this issue and are currently looking into it. You can go ahead and add your +Vote to this Ongoing Issue thread. This way you'll get notified as soon as there are any updates.

You can try the troubleshooting steps in the post and see if that makes any difference for you.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to reach out again.

Have a great day!

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Just so this gets a reply: next to the follow button there should be the 3 Dots button. Inside that is the option to block / unblock an artist. Had this happen to me with Jai Paul.

Suggested posts