Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

spotify is just not working properly

Solved!

spotify is just not working properly

Okay, so, basically, I've been using spotify for a while. I have Spotify premium, and I'm running it on a custom built Windows 10 computer. On my phone it works perfectly.

1. I somehow can't play songs that are not saved in my music anymore.

Screenshot: http://prntscr.com/mfuawi

2. The "save" button does not have an effect on the cross/checkmarks next to the songs. I have to press them myself and it still doesnt add them to my music.

Screenshot: http://prntscr.com/mfubg0

3. I can't see what my friends are playing, despite following many of them who are active users of Spotify.

Screenshot: http://prntscr.com/mfubnf

I have tried all the steps mentioned in the troubleshooting thread up until #3. 

Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to fix these issues? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @PantsWP, @JeromeAlbert, @oeuvreii, @FroggyHorntail and @karolis550

I see these issues quite a lot lately (and I merged a few threads together).

I do have one method you can try to make things work again - the hosts file.

Sometimes the hosts file might have Spotify-related addresses, and since the file is capable of rerouting traffic, Spotify might become affected or dysfunctional.

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net 

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

Let me know if that helped 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Free user.
Device: Desktop, Windows 10.

Issue: My spotify desktop app, wasn't loading anything. I then reinstalled it, everything worked fine... until the next day. The circle with dots just keeps spinning, songs don't play, playlists don't load, the app's basically unusable. I've checked my internet connection, tried clearing cache, nothing helped except reinstalling the app daily, is there a fix to this?

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy S9

Operating System

Windows 8.1 

My Question or Issue

(Oddly enough, this all seemed to start after I got an email for an album update from one of my artists.)

Since January 26th, 2019, I have had this issue where desktop Spotify does not seem to recognize new songs added to it - either it decides what it will show newly favorited songs arbitrarily, or it will not show them whatsoever - but mobile does recognize and will play/show the songs.

I attempted to use the web player, which also recognizes the songs, but the web player won't work for me AT ALL (I use Chrome). Attempts to play the songs on desktop using Spotify connect via phone or tablet just produces no music and a 'blank' album placeholder.

I have tried installing/reinstalling, I've tried to force a sync with the connect, there's absolutely no rhyme or reason to why it's doing this, but it's really getting on my nerves.

spotifypls1.PNG
spotifypls2.PNG
spotifypls3.jpg

Plan

Free

Country

Slovakia

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue
pretty much what the title says, I tried reinstalling multiple times, still won't work.

Yes, this. I have all of these issues. I originally cleared my song cache and that fixed them for a few months however they have come back up again. I did a clean re-install using the instructions provided by Spotify and again, fixed the issues briefly but not permanently.

As OP said, Spotify works on my iPad and iPhone but is currently plagued on my PC running Windows 10, which is the device I use most.

Marked as solution

Hey @PantsWP, @JeromeAlbert, @oeuvreii, @FroggyHorntail and @karolis550

I see these issues quite a lot lately (and I merged a few threads together).

I do have one method you can try to make things work again - the hosts file.

Sometimes the hosts file might have Spotify-related addresses, and since the file is capable of rerouting traffic, Spotify might become affected or dysfunctional.

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com
127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com
0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net 

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

Let me know if that helped 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you very much for the assistance.

Suggested posts