First, try reinstalling. If that doesn't help, the next thing to suggest is reinstalling once more, but before redownloading Spotify try restarting your desktop device.
Also, make sure that Spotify is maximized and you've enabled the sidebar through the Settings Menu > View > Friend Activity for the Friend Feed to show up.
Next, you can check your hosts, here's how to do so:
1. Open Notepad as an Administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. Go to File > Open and navigate to
3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like
Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:
(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.
Or, you can also try removing all lines to see what happens.
This Spotify Answer was submitted by @Sebasty.
Didn't help? Search for more Spotify Answers, or create a new thread and ask the Community.