Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs / Account Help

Find answers related to your Spotify account. See frequently asked questions and solutions for resetting your password, changing your email, verifying your account or updating your country settings.

If you're unable to log in to your account, let’s start with some basic troubleshooting to try and help out here:

• Check that you have an active internet connection.
  • Make sure you’re on the right login screen:
    - If you created your account with a username and password, enter those and tap LOG IN.
    - If you created your account with Facebook, tap LOG IN WITH FACEBOOK. 

- If you created an account with your phone number, keep in mind that it's not possible to log onto the desktop app with a phone number. We'd suggest using the mobile app instead.

- You can also log in through the username field by using the email address linked to your Spotify account, and your correct password.

• If you’re a Free user, you can only use Spotify abroad for 14 days at a time:
    - Reconnect to Spotify from the country you signed up in, or change your country settings.
  • Close and reopen the app.
  • Restart the device you’re using Spotify on.
  • Reinstall Spotify.

What if I signed up with Facebook but have deactivated my Facebook account?

You'll need to create a Spotify password to access the account connected to your deactivated Facebook account: 

1. Go to our password reset form
  2. Enter the email address registered to your Facebook account.
  3. Continue through the steps to create a password for the account.
  4. You can now log in by entering your Facebook email address and the new password in the default log in fields.

It's also possible to reach out to our Customer Support teams to update the email address registered with your account for you or help you transfer your music collection to another account if you prefer to create a new one.

I forgot my password!

No worries, to reset your password just:

1. Go to Spotify.com.
    • If you see your username in the upper-right corner, click there, then select LOG OUT.
    • If you see LOG IN in the upper-right corner, skip to the next step below.
  2. Head here to reset your password. We'll send you an email with a link to create a new password. 
    Note: If you don’t receive the reset password email, check your junk/spam folders too.
  3. If you're getting a message that says “password reset link is not valid, or already used”, try opening it using an Incognito window. 

In case your email is no longer active to reset your password, the best way to get this fixed is by contacting our customer services team directly through this link:

• Choose Unknown as your username if you can't locate it.
  • Enter the email address you'd like us to contact you on, you can add your old one in the description so we know which account you need help with.

Note: if you still have access to your account, you can edit your email by going to your account overview.

I'm getting an error message that a firewall may be blocking Spotify. The error code is 30/17. What can I do?

firewall.JPG

This issue could be caused by individual network set-ups. In case the issue persists after disabling the firewall or adjusting the proxy settings, here are some troubleshooting steps that may help you fix it:

• Perform a clean reinstall of the app following these steps.
  • Check your firewall and antivirus software or apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
  • Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
  • Run Windows in Safe Mode with Networking. If the app works with no issues there, try adjusting different network settings and uninstalling any software that might be conflicting with Spotify's connectivity.
  • Try connecting your desktop to the Internet via a mobile hotspot. If the app works through it, get in touch with your router's manufacturer.
  • If you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop or corporate network), reach out to the administrator for help.

In case you're still getting the error message after checking all these steps, let us know by starting a new thread in the related Help Board. Make sure you’ve listed all the steps you've tried so far and the outcome. We'll be happy to dig deeper into this and assist you further.

Didn't help? Search for more FAQ, or create a new thread and ask the Community.

Labels:

Answer:

Yes, you can.

Whether you're having troubles logging in via Facebook or you would now prefer setting up a Spotify password for your account, all you need to do is follow the quick process below.

Create a Spotify password and log in with your email address

1. Go to our password reset form.
  2. Enter your Spotify email address (visible in your Account overview).
  3. Check your inbox for an email from Spotify to reset your password.

You can then enter your Spotify email address and the new password. This way, you won't need to use the Facebook button to log in

For all the other info and more help regarding logging in with Facebook, take a look at this Support Site article!

Didn't help? Search for more Spotify Answers, or create a new thread and ask the Community.

Labels:

Answer:

Not sure of your ID or you need a reminder of which email you used? Need those so you can reset your password?

There are different steps that you can follow in order to find your ID. The same goes for finding the email address on your account. Please note that a public display name is not the same as your ID. Newer Spotify accounts will also have unique, automatically generated IDs, rather than personally chosen usernames. This is also true if you've created your account through Facebook.

Using the Spotify website or emails

If you are already logged in on your browser, the easiest way is to head to your Account Overview page. Under "Account", go to "Edit profile". There you can find both your username along with the email address that is associated with your Spotify account.

Untitled.png

If your login session has ran out, another way is to check your email inbox for an email from Spotify. You receive emails from us on account creation, on payment or subscription changes or due to other important notifications. There should be information to which email address it was sent to at the bottom of the email body.

email.jpg

Using the mobile app

Open the app and click your profile picture at the top left of the screen. On the Settings and privacy button settings.jpg you can find different options that you can turn on and off as well as your associated email address.

Screenshot_20231019_153228_Spotify.jpg  1}.jpg  2.jpg

You can use that to reset your password if you don't know it, so you can find out your unique user ID on your profile page, as described above.

But what if I can't access my account page or am not logged in?

No worries, the below methods can still work, even if you're not logged in anywhere on Spotify. You might need the help of another friend who can perform a search on Spotify though. 

Using profile links

With the help from a friend or a family member's account, you can search for your name in the app and you can get a link that includes your ID.

On Desktop

1. Find your profile via search and click on the three-dots menu in the top right corner.
  2. Then you can click on Copy link to profile
  3. When you paste the link, the part that comes after "user/" and before "?si=" is your ID. 

Link to Profile.PNG

In our example the link looks like https://open.spotify.com/user/spotifycares?si=f64035f8cadf423b and the ID is "spotifycares", but take note that this can be just an auto generated ID.

For example, for profile: https://open.spotify.com/user/j7ss9vdqts9dji9qudk5y9q5x?si=2f0851eed94f4c7e, the ID is "j7ss9vdqts9dji9qudk5y9q5x ".

On Mobile

1. Same as on desktop, find your profile via the search function.
  2. Click on the three dot menu in the right corner and choose Share.
  3. When you copy and paste the link, the part that comes after "user/" and before "?si=" is your ID.

Screenshot_20210520-173300.png  Screenshot_20210519_174257_com.spotify.music.jpg

As with our example for desktop, the link will look like https://open.spotify.com/user/spotifycares?si=f64035f8cadf423b and the ID is "spotifycares".

If you have an auto-generated ID, the link will look  like: https://open.spotify.com/user/j7ss9vdqts9dji9qudk5y9q5x?si=2f0851eed94f4c7e, and the ID here is "j7ss9vdqts9dji9qudk5y9q5x ".

Using the cache files on a PC, Mac or Android device

This method can be handy if you're using one of the below devices and haven't deleted any temporary files yet.

Windows

1. Navigate to the folder C:\Users\Your PC username\App Data\Roaming.
    A quick way to do so is to type in %AppData% (Percentage symbols included) in the search bar of your start menu/taskbar and press Enter.
  2. Look for a Spotify folder. If you find it, open it up. You should see a subfolder "Users" in there. In that folder will be all the usernames that you've logged in with on this device.
  3. Sometimes, the folders could be located in C:\Users\Your PC username\App Data\Local. If that's the case, just, navigate one folder up from Roaming and switch to the Local folder. Then repeat step 2.

Mac 

1. Open Finder on your Mac.
  2. Click Go > Library in the menu bar. (You may need to hold the Alt key if Library isn't visible.)
  3. Open Application Support > Spotify > Users. Here you’ll see all the usernames you've logged in with on this device.

Android

1. Connect your phone to a computer with a USB cable. Alternatively, you can use a file manager on your phone.
  2. Find and open the directory Android > data > com.spotify.music > files > spotifycache > users. Here you’ll see all the usernames you've logged in with on this device.

If you still can't find the username or the email address after giving these steps a go, you can reach out to our support team. The folks there will be happy to assist with further help. 

Didn't help? Search for more Spotify Answers, or create a new thread and ask the Community.

Labels:

Hi,

DE: Für Version auf Deutsch, bitte hier klicken.

SE: För den svenska versionen, klicka gärna här.

FR: Pour la version française, cliquez ici.

EN:

We'd like to share some useful info and provide some help regarding the verification emails you've received.

In essence, you will be prompted to send an email to yourself so that you can open it and successfully conclude the verification to continue using your Spotify app.

The process looks like this:

• You will see in-app prompts with a button and a link which you can click on to send yourself the verification email.
  • The email address which the verification email will be sent to will be displayed in the prompt. There is also an option to edit the email address if needed.

Here's what you can do if you encounter any issues:

I use an old email and can't access my email address.

• If you know your Spotify password you can still update your email from your account page, even if you get blocked as part of the process. After updating it, you'll automatically receive a new verification email to the new address. Click on the link there and you're good!

My registered Spotify email is no longer valid. What should I do now?

• You can edit the email address the verification is sent to from the prompts you receive. Just click the Edit email address button. Once a new email has been saved, the verification email will be sent.
    EMV1.png

EMV2.png

I got blocked. I want to update my email address and verify the new one. Can I do it on a PC/Mac?

• Yes, you can still update your email address from any browser by going to your account overview page and clicking Edit Profile. This will re-send a verification email, so you can verify.

I never received the verification email. What is going on?

• This could be due to a couple of reasons:

1) Emails from Spotify are blocked by your email provider. We suggest switching your email like described above to an alternative one, from another provider. 

2) You have a filter set up that is automatically hiding the email. Try adjusting these filters. If you have a Gmail account, this can be done as follows:

1. Open Gmail (best on a PC/Mac).
    2. At the top right, click Settings (the gear icon) > See all settings > Click Filters and Blocked Addresses > Check if Spotify is listed.

Hope you'll find this useful and it answers your questions regarding email verification.

Labels:

Answer:

Yes - as of September 2021 it's now possible to update your email address in your Spotify account, even if it was created via Facebook. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Log in to your account page.
  2. Click EDIT PROFILE.
  3. Under Email, enter your new email address.
  4. Confirm your password.
  5. Click SAVE PROFILE.

Note that users are unable to edit other profile details on Facebook-created accounts, which were initially imported from Facebook. This includes updating this info on Facebook itself. But not to worry, our Customer Support team will be able to help updating the following items:
  • Email address
  • Postal code
  • Mobile phone number
  • Mobile phone brand
  • Mobile service provider
You can reach out to them here.

Didn't help? Search for more Spotify Answers, or create a new thread and ask the Community.

Labels:

Sign in with Apple has been made available to all the Spotify users worldwide.

What are the requirements to use Sign in with Apple?

• Latest version of Spotify.
  • iOS 14 or later.
  • An Apple ID that uses two-factor authentication (for instructions on how to turn that on, click here).
  • To be signed in to iCloud with the Apple ID on the Apple device.

How can I create an account through Sign in with Apple? 

• Launch the app and tap “Continue with Apple” (see screenshot below). 
  • Your Apple ID must be using two-factor authentication for this. You will receive a pop-up reminder from Apple if you need to turn the feature on.
  • You will then be asked to confirm you want to continue and create a Spotify account with your Apple ID email address or anonymously, using Hide My Email.

Mario_0-1585062213929.png

How can I link my account to Sign in with Apple? 

• You’ll need to make sure that your Spotify account and Apple ID share the same email address and tap “Continue with Apple” when you launch the app. 
  • You will then be asked to confirm you want to continue and create a Spotify account with your Apple ID email address. Make sure to select the option “Share My Email”.
  • After that, you will receive a pop-up message which says “This email is already registered to an account” (see screenshot below).
  • Tap “LOG IN” to access your account in this way and thus link your accounts.

Mario_2-1585062213668.png

I tried to Sign in with Apple but I accidentally created a new account.

• First, you’ll need to close the new account by following the steps here.
  • You should be able to link your first account to Sign in with Apple by following the steps above.

How can I find the Apple-generated email address linked to my account? 

• Head over to your account overview page here to view the email address.

How do l log into the Windows Spotify application with Apple ID? 

• You can use your Apple ID email and choose a new password to log in on your Windows device.
  • After, you’ll be able to access your account using the “Sign in with Apple” option on your Apple device (with the old password) as well as to access it on your Windows using the "classic" login button (with the new password).

I’m not getting Spotify emails relayed through Apple, what can I do?

• You can toggle email forwarding on/off via iOS settings > iCloud > Password and Security > Apple ID Logins > Spotify > "Forward to".
  • Make sure to have the correct notification settings for Spotify here.

For more info about this, take a look at this article. 

Labels:

Answer:

To change your email address:

1. Log in to your account page.
  2. Click EDIT PROFILE.
  3. Under Email, enter your new email address.
  4. Confirm your password.
  5. Click SAVE PROFILE.

And you're done! A confirmation email will be sent to both the old and new email address detailing the changes.

It won't let me enter a new address?

This means that your Spotify account was probably created through Facebook. It’s not possible for you to change the email address on accounts created this way, but you can reach out to our Customer Support teams and they'll lend a hand! 

Another account is using my email address:

If it’s possible you’ve already used your email address on another account, try using our password reset form to get access to that account.

If you believe someone else is using your email address, follow these steps to get in touch with us.

My email is no longer active. How can I reset my password?

If this is the case, we'd recommend checking out the information here.

Labels:

Answer

Sometimes, when trying to update settings (country, birth date etc.) on your Spotify account page, you might get an error message saying "Email is taken." even if you didn't try to update your email address.

If you did try to update your email but you're getting that message, I'd recommend you try following the "Another account is using my email address" section of this support article.

However, sometimes you might get this message even if you didn't try to update your email address. This issue happens because a few years ago it was possible to create more than one account with the same email address, so if you have two accounts with the same email address, you won't be able to change it back because there would still be an account with that email address.

To solve this issue, you can change the email address to a different one. However, if you'd like to change the email address back to the desired one, I'd recommend you try to do a password reset with the "taken" email address that you don't use and close any account that might pop up. That should enable you to change the email address back to the desired one. It's important to check the account you're closing is not the one you currently use.

This should help clear things up! However, if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask other users in the help boards.

Labels:

Answer:

It's very easy to register for a Spotify account. Missing playlists or music from your account? Seeing charges for your Premium but when you log in, your account is on Free?

If you're having troubles like these, we'd recommend first taking a look for any additional accounts you may have with us. It's possible your missing playlists or subscription are in there 🙂

There are several ways you can use to locate a Spotify account:

1. Check your email addresses 

• Enter any email addresses you use into our password reset form. If there's an account associated with it, we’ll let you know in your email inbox. Tip: you can look for an email with the subject “Reset your password” and then follow the steps to recover your account.
  • Check your email inboxes, including any spam or junk folders, for emails from Spotify. If you have any, it’s likely there’s an account associated with that email address. 

Once you've checked your email addresses and found any of the above, you can use that email address to log in.

If you aren't sure of your account's password, continue to reset the account’s password, then use that email address and the new password to log in.

2. Check Facebook

It's also possible to register for a Spotify account using your Facebook credentials. To check if you have a Spotify account connected to Facebook:

1. Log into Facebook and select Settings on the dropdown in the top-right.
  2. Choose Apps and Websites.
  3. If you see the Spotify icon, you have a Spotify account connected to Facebook. 

If you find Spotify listed in your apps, you can access that Spotify account by choosing LOG IN WITH FACEBOOK in the login page.

If you'd like to go on using Spotify without Facebook or have deactivated Facebook, we'd suggest taking a look at this Spotify Answer for more info.

3. Check for info on your device

If you’ve used the Spotify app on a Windows or Mac desktop or an Android mobile device, you can find your username with information stored on your device.

Click Spoiler to see the steps for your device:

Spoiler

Desktop

Mac

1. Open Finder on your Mac.
  2. Click Go > Library in the menu bar. (You may need to hold the Alt key if Library isn't visible.)
  3. Open Application Support > Spotify > Users
  4. All usernames you've logged into on this device will show under this folder.

Windows

1. In the lower-left corner of your PC home screen, click the Start icon > File Explorer > This PC.
  2. Open C: > Users > Your computer's Username > App Data.
    Note: If you can't find App Data, open the Start menu and type in Run in the search box. Select Run and type in %appdata% and press enter.
  3. Open Local > Spotify > Users.
  4. All usernames you've logged into on this device will show under this folder. 
Katerina_0-1617346261398.gif

Android

1. Connect your phone to a computer with a USB cable.
  2. In your computer files, find and open Android > data > com.spotify.music > files > spotifycache > users.
  3. All usernames you've logged into on this device will show under this folder. 
Note: For some phones, it's not possible to browse folders with your Android phone without connecting to a computer, but there are apps available that enable you to do so.
Some newer Android devices  come with a Files app already installed. If you have this already, you can also follow step 2 straight from your phone. Following the path should look like this - your Spotify account's username is the part before -user :
Screenshot_20210402_095439.jpg

Once you've located your account's username, you can follow the steps here to access it again.

Didn’t work?

If you're still having troubles locating any additional Spotify account, there's also this useful survey you can take that can help point you in the right direction.

Once you've locate your account(s), to avoid confusion, we'd suggest following the steps highlighted in this Spotify Answer to close any additional Spotify accounts you have. 

Labels:

Answer:

A lot of us have an account created via Facebook. It's fast, it's easy and it doesn't require a lot of steps because the required info to sign up for a Spotify account is being read from the Facebook profile used when signing up. The most important info being:

1. Your Facebook display name
  2. Facebook profile picture
  3. And your Facebook Friends

It's possible to sign up for an account with your Facebook profile, and at a later stage to opt out from sharing your Facebook information with us. This will result in some changes in your Spotify account, most notably the following:

1. Your display name will change into your alphanumeric username
  2. Your profile picture won't be visible on your Spotify account
  3. You won't be able to find Facebook friends on Spotify

Note that these changes don't necessarily happen instantly as the Facebook synchronization can take up to 48 hours.

Keep in mind that you can set up a new display name at any point using this guide. This is the name that your friends will see and which can be used to search for your profile.

You can't however log in to the app with your display name. You will have to enter either your username or your registered email address next time you log in.

If you add a new Spotify display name while your account is still connected to Facebook, it will replace your Facebook name.

If you'd like to see your name and profile picture in Spotify again, here's what you can do:

Login on our website and go to Privacy Settings. Check if you have opted out of Spotify processing your Facebook data. Be sure that you have not opted out if you want to have your name and profile picture visible in Spotify. It should look like this:

Facebook data share.png

On Facebooks end it's also possible to prevent certain info from being shared with Spotify. So if you've opted back in but certain info, for example your list with Facebook friends is still missing, log in here and find Spotify in the list with apps. Click on 'View and edit' and you'll get the following screen:

Facebook data share 2.png

In this screen you can further decide which information you'd like to share with Spotify.

Keep in mind that it can take up to 48 hours before changes take effect. You might need to log out and back in as well.

Labels:

Answer:

Maybe you have a duplicate account, maybe you just need a break from Spotify or you want to start fresh with a new account? No hard feelings! 

In case you just want to stop paying, you can cancel your Premium plan and use Spotify free instead.

If you don't have Premium you can close your account permanently yourself. Just log in here and continue through the steps.

Keep the following things in mind: 

• Your username can’t be used with Spotify again.
  • You won't have access to your playlists, followers, and everything saved in Your Library.
  • You’ll lose access to any purchased audiobooks if you close your account and delete your data.
  • If you have the student discount, you won’t be able to apply it to another account until 12-months have elapsed since you signed up for it.

If you do decide to close your account, you have up until 7 days to change your mind. Note that during this time, your playlists might still be visible to others. After that period, you won't be able to reactivate your account anymore. After 14 to 30 days your account will become fully anonymized and it won't be visible on the app anymore.

Let's say you want any music transferred before deleting your account, in that case you can check out this Spotify Answer on how to do so 🙂

Didn't help? Search for more FAQs, or create a new thread and ask the Community.

Labels:

Answer:

Can't remember your Spotify password and you don't have access to the email address registered to your account anymore? No worries, there is still a way to log in to your account again!

Since you don't have access to the email anymore, the best way to get this fixed is by contacting our customer services team directly through this link:

• Choose Unknown as your username if you can't locate it.
  • Enter the email address you'd like us to contact you on, you can add your old one in the description so we know which account you need help with.

When you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of our customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible. Please note that it can take up to 48 hours to get a reply.

Note that if you still have access to your account, you can edit your email in your account overview.

Didn't help? Search for more Spotify Answers, or create a new thread and ask the Community.

Labels:

Answer:

If you've created a new account and want to transfer your music and followers, here's how.

Playlists and saved music

1. Make sure all your playlists in your old account are set to Public and have been added to your profile with these steps. You can also make a playlist called Your Music and copy all your saved songs there (for Windows, press Ctrl + a and for Mac, press Cmnd + a) while in the 'Songs' section and drag them to the new playlist).
  2. Once you've confirmed all your playlists are public, log out of your old account.
  3. For the next steps, we'd recommend using a desktop device: Log in to your new account and search for your old account's profile. You can do so by typing spotify:user:username in the search bar (you need to replace username with your old account's username), or searching for the Facebook name if the account is connected to Facebook.
    If you're having difficulties finding it, you can get your profile link while logged in on the old account. Right click your name while on your profile page > Copy Link to profile. You can paste this in the search bar while on the new account and press Enter to load your old profile.
  4. Once you've located your old account's profile page, head to the tab Public Playlists. All your playlists should be displayed there.
  5. Click on a playlist.
  6. Once you've opened that playlist, select all the songs contained in it.
  7. Right-click the selected songs and click Add to Playlist > New Playlist.  This step will create a new playlist to your new account containing the same songs. You can name the playlist the same name it had on the old account if you wish, or give it a different one.
  8. Repeat for all your playlists.

Followers

Now when you're logged in on the new account:

1. Find the old account again (check out step 3 above). 
  2. Tap the 'Followers' tab and then hit 'Follow' on all the artists and friends you wish to follow with the new account.

Keep in mind that your followers need to follow you back on the new account to see your activity.

Didn't help? Search for more Spotify Answers, return to FAQs, or create a new thread and ask the Community. Click the Tags to see related FAQ content.

Labels:

If you're seeing playlists or saved tracks on one device but not on another, first make sure you're
logged in on the same account on both devices.

If you are, try logging out and back in on the device that hasn't synced to shake things up. Make sure your apps are not in Offline Mode.

If that doesn't do the trick, contact our support team so they can remove all the associated devices with the account and afterwards try a reinstall of the app on that device by following the steps here.

This Spotify Answer was submitted by @Nico.

Labels:

Answer:

All members of a Premium for Family or Duo plan must reside at the same physical address. Unfortunately, if you are currently travelling abroad and want to start one of those plans and invite members, it won't be possible.

However, you can start your own plan as soon as you return home and send out invites for your friends and family to join.

Alternatively, you can join someone else’s plan as soon as you return home. 

This Spotify Answer was submitted by @Bittencourt.

Answer:

If you have disconnected your Facebook profile from your Spotify account, worry not, it's possible to reconnect it by following the steps here.

If that doesn't do the trick, or if you're seeing your username as random numbers and letters instead of your Facebook name, make sure to:

1. Opt in sharing your data with Facebook. You can check this on your account page here.
  2. Spotify is allowed to have access on your personal data on Facebook, here.

This Spotify Answer was submitted by @Jose_M.

Labels:

Answer:

If you'd like to disconnect your Spotify account from Facebook, make sure to follow these steps:

Desktop app

1. Open the Spotify desktop app.
  2. In the top-right corner, click the arrow button next to your name, then Settings.
  3. Under Social, click DISCONNECT FROM FACEBOOK.

Account page (PC and mobile) 

1. Open your account page
  2. Go to Edit login methods.
  3. If your Spotify is connected to Facebook - you'll see Facebook under Current login methods. Screenshot for reference below: Lyubka_0-1700137277437.png
  4. Click on Remove, once you do that you'll see the following message:
    Lyubka_2-1700137444980.png
  5. Click on Yes, remove.

Note: It’s not possible to complete these steps on the mobile app. If you want to reconnect to Facebook in future, you can connect it from the account page using browser.

Don’t see this option?

If you don't see this option it's either because your Facebook isn't connected to that account, but more likely that you created your Spotify account with Facebook at the beginning. If that's the case you have 3 options: 

1. Deactivate your Facebook but continue to log into Spotify with the email and password you used for Facebook 
2. Create a new Spotify account 
3. Reactivate your Facebook

Steps for option 1: 
Please note your displayed Spotify username will be a string of numbers instead of your display name. 
  • Deactivate your Facebook
  • Reset your password by entering the email address that was registered on your Facebook account
  • Open the Spotify app
  • Enter the email address and the new password (you cannot select the Log in with Facebook option any longer). 
  • You can continue to use the app as normal without a Facebook account. 

Steps for option 2: 
As your listening history will be lost we do not recommend this option. Your Spotify Discover Weekly, Release Radar etc will start from scratch. 

• If your current account is on a Premium subscription, cancel it (you can resubscribe on your new account).
    Note: If you have the student discount, you won’t be able to apply it to your new account until the 12 months have elapsed since you signed up for it.
  • Go to your account page and click SIGN OUT EVERYWHERE at the bottom.
  • Create your new account.
    Note: It’s not possible to have two accounts with same email address. If you’d like to keep the email address associated with your old account, you first need to close the old account.
  • Any saved music and playlists will still be on your old account, but you can save / create them again on your new account with these steps.

Option 3:

If you reactivate the Facebook account you used to sign up with Spotify you can also continue to use the app as normal. 

Didn't help? Search for more Spotify Answers, or create a new thread and ask the Community.

Labels:

Answer:

Changing your passwords regularly is a good idea, so we’ve made it easy to do. Or maybe you’ve forgotten your password... Don’t worry, it’s easy to reset, too!

Note: If you have a Facebook-created account, you should now be able to reset your Spotify password without changing your Facebook one.

Change your password

1. Go to the password change page.
  2. Type your current password in Current password.
  3. Type your new password in New password.
  4. Type your new password in Repeat new password.
  5. Click SET NEW PASSWORD.

Reset your password

1. Log out of the Spotify app and website.
  2. Go to the password reset page.
  3. Enter your email address or username in Email address or username.
  4. Click SEND.
  5. Check your email inbox for an email from us with the subject “Reset your password”.
  6. Click the link in the e-mail.
  7. Type your new password in New password.
  8. Type your new password again in Repeat new password.
  9. Click SET PASSWORD.

If you’re not receiving the password reset email

• Check your junk/spam filter.
  • Make sure you entered the correct email address (or username) for your Spotify account.

If the reset link isn’t working

• Request a new password reset link and try that one.
  • Open the password reset link in a new web browser, or a private browsing window in your current one.

No account associated with email address?

• Try entering any other email addresses you might have used to sign up. Note: There are a few ways to sign up, e.g. with email, phone number, Facebook, Apple, or Google. Try logging in with these to find your account.
  • If you think your email changed without your permission, check out this article for more info.

Too many requests?

• Try again later or use a different device.

Labels:

Answer:

Cancel your Premium plan any time on your account page.

1. Log into spotify.com/account
  2. Under Your plan, click CHANGE PLAN.
  3. Scroll to Spotify Free and click CANCEL PREMIUM.

Your Premium stays until your next billing date, then your account switches to free. 

You keep your playlists and saved music when your account is free. You can also still log in and play with ads.

As a heads up - if you cancel your student discount, you won’t be able to apply it to another account until its 12-month verification period expires.

Note: You can also cancel by completing this form and sending it to Spotify.

No option to change plan?

This means your plan is associated with a partner company (e.g. your mobile or internet provider). 
To cancel, find their contact link on your account page under Payment.

If you pay through iTunes, see Apple’s steps to cancel.

Account on Spotify Free?

This means there's no Premium plan to cancel, and there’s no payment info on the account. 

If you're being charged, you likely have Premium on a different account. Try logging out and back in with different details.

Labels:

Answer:

The security of your account and your personal information is very important for us at Spotify and our security teams are doing their best to keep them safe for you, but sometimes breaches on other services means someone else may log into your Spotify account.

Here are a few things to look out for, if you feel that someone else might have accessed your account:

• Your password not working anymore
  • Your email address changing
  • Playlists added or lost
    ↪ Seeing songs added on your account > head here
  • Recently Played looking wrong
  • Music playing without your control
    ↪ Did you join a Group Session recently? Make sure to leave it.
  • Your subscription changing
  • Another Facebook connecting to your account
  • Emails about logins you don’t recognize
    ↪ Got a suspicious looking email > head here

Rest assured, your financial and security details are never compromised.

Still have access to your account?

Just follow the steps in the Spoiler to secure your account.

Spoiler

1. Reset your password

Open your reset link in a private/incognito window, and choose a strong password you haven't used before.

Reset your password 

Be sure to also change the password for any service associated with your account, such as your email address, Facebook, or Apple.

Tip: Check the security of your Facebook.

2. Sign out everywhere

> Go to your account page

Note: This can take up to 1 hour to take effect everywhere.

3. Check 3rd party connections

On your account page, go to Apps to review what’s connected to your account. It’s best to select REMOVE ACCESS on all of them to ensure your account’s security (you can reconnect them later).

Also, go to the Spotify desktop app's settings to review any connected Facebook accounts under Social. If there is one, click DISCONNECT FROM FACEBOOK to remove it. If it’s your own Facebook, change your Facebook password before you reconnect it.

4. Log back in and stay protected

You can now log back in to all your devices and reconnect any apps and services.

Your account’s security is most at risk by breaches on other services, so to prevent this from happening again it’s best to use a strong password that you don’t use on other services.

Tip: Read more about how to protect your account.

Can't access your account?

Hopefully it will not come to this! But should you loose access to your account, head over to our contact form, select Logging in, then Someone’s taken over my account

The support team will then help you to secure your account and hand it back to you.

Lost anything?

Customer Support can help secure and restore anything lost on your account.

Get in touch with them through our contact form, select Logging in, then Someone’s taken over my account.

Tip: Prepare a screenshot of your Spotify receipt or bank statement - it may be needed for security (make sure it doesn’t show your full credit card number, expiration date, or 3-digit code). 

Spotted a major security issue?

If you have discovered a vulnerability in Spotify or another serious security issue you want to flag with us, please head here to report it to the right folks.

Labels: