Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Censored songs

Solved!

Censored songs

I just wonder why you have to get songs censored the way you do? You literally destroy many songs with that. Maybe cursing doesn't sound so nice, but if you don't like the song they curse on, WHY do you listen to it?

I, as myself, don't care about the cursing but like to listen to the songs meaning. If a rapper made a song with meaning, but had cursing as a way to express himself, you should look at the meaning not the cursing. Maybe you can't find the meaning but that is YOUR problem. Seriously, when a song you like, gets bugged up with suddenly silent moments that doesn't fit in at all... YOU should know what I mean....

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

https://support.spotify.com/uk/using_spotify/search_play/content-censor/

This official Spotify solution to this is wrong. I just found out the hard way by listening to the "clean" version of Ill Communication by The Beastie Boys with my 10 year old son! Even though there are two versions available, I can assure you that the one without the "explicit" labels is deifinately not a cleaned up version. It's just not remastered, it's the original release.

Whether or not you agree with censorship or patental guidance and the whole PMRC controversy is of no consequence - it's here and it's a tool for parents to use so they don't have to pre-listen to content to make sure it's okay for kids. The label should be correct and the official Spotify solution should be correct.

View solution in original post

170 Replies

too many times I want to hear a song and only the edited song is available, not the explicit, albulm version.  If you have the edited version available please also make the explicit albulm version available

Hi jakkebobb,

This is a very common complaint, although it is based on a misunderstanding, as Spotify does not censor music in any way. (Search for your favourite curse word if you want a demonstration of that). Any music that has been censored was submitted like that.

Albums are very often released and submitted to Spotify in two forms: the explicit version, and the clean (censored) version. Often, the only visible way to distinguish between these two versions is that one will have an "Explicit" sticker on the album artwork. Consequently, Spotify will consider them to be identical.

On the Artist page, the two albums will be collected together. One of the albums will be visible, the other one can be revealed by clicking the duplicate arrow that you see to the far right of the album title.

aright, thanks man ๐Ÿ™‚

How about this. Don't **bleep**ing accept **bleep**ing censored songs from retarded **bleep**ing censorshiphorny record companies. They **bleep**ing ruin the song. Fight spotify, fight!

We accept any and all content that record labels would like to give us. I'd expect any album that is uploaded in a "clean" version will also have its uncensored version uploaded too. Occasionally, the uncensored version doesn't appear, but that will be an error.

I don't think that we should stop clean versions being uploaded because some people actually want to listen to them, or at least need to play them that way sometimes.

I actually listen to Spotify from my desk at work, and cannot have swearing coming from my computer speakers. I would like to know if there is a feature or a method of searching in spotify to eliminate any explicite songs from my "Work Safe" Mix so i don't have to worry about manually filtering my playlists. Pandora has this feature, which is why its been my player of choice lately. Can i tell spotify to some how NOT show me any explicite songs?

Spotify doesn't have this kind of filter at the moment, unfortunately. It's something I would like to see. Many customers report being in a similar situation, especially those listening with children (or elderly relatives).

Here's an idea: create or search a playlist with SFW songs, then double-click it.

Is there any way to view the duplicate albums from the iPhone app? Ever since the recent update, I can only view the censored version of an album, and it's really aggravating that everything I listen to is censored. Any idea of how to fix this?

What about iPhone because there is clearly no option

Yeah I am sick of hearing the censored, i rock out in my car and a edits kill my vibe ๐Ÿ™‚

Do a search on "explicit version", press Ctrl+A, right-click, select Add to > New Playlist, remove the stuff you don't like. You get more then enough b.c. for quite a long drive, you're welcome ;^)

I am so sick of this!!

Currently listening to Nas - I can - Explicit version but it's still edited.

There is no reason for this. I'm adult. Treat me as such ๐Ÿ™‚

Mingvase - As Jude mentions in a previous post on this thread, Spotify does not censor music in any way. Any music that has been censored was submitted like that.

Check out his post on the first page for more info.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

So strange!

Sorry for the repeating.

Thanks Sam!

If the explicit version doesn't appear due to an error, where can we submit requests to fix these errors?

There are many artists that have no explicit version, only a censored version so far...

Usually I can find the non-butchered version but usually the buthered version is the one that shows up first and ends up on my playlist.

Why the hell is the name of the city in California "Compton" even censored? 

How do I see the uncensored album in the iPhone app?

Awe I am glad I found this, I was about to cancel Spotify cause I thought it only had clean versions of my fav rap songs! Thanks for the tip, you guys should really make it show both versions much easier to search because I really was about to go to the competition because this is easily overlooked. Just a thought.

Suggested posts