Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ads During Song

Ads During Song

It feels like 2 or 3 times a song an ad will start playing during it! It's very annoying and I'll probably stop using spotify unless its fixed. 

26 Replies

Adverts during a song should never happen. Next time it does, could you go to your Play Queue and see what the app reports is playing?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Okay so no ads are being shown in the play queue. But literally every minute or so an ad plays for like 10-15 seconds then cuts out. 

Are you sure the adverts are definitely coming from Spotify? The only place I can think you might get this is from one of the banners at the top of Browse?

Peter

hi i'm getting the same problem as well. Every time I am in spotify to play a new song, I get a video ad at the bottom of the screen that plays over my music at a really loud volume.

@crisptofuring - What is that advertisement for and what country are you in? With those details I can report it for you.

Peter

i'm in the US. the ad is different every time--one that comes up frequently is a toyota ad.

Thanks for the details, I've passed them over to the Spotify team to investigate.

Peter

Hey @crisptofuring & @zachwallace44 could you please confirm a few more details for us so we can look into this for you? 

1. Have you already tried a full clean reinstallation?

2. What device are you using? 

3. Device OS?

4. Spotify app version? 

5. Is this happening across multiple devices or just one? 

hey meredith,

sorry for the super late response. The email notification was somehow sent to my spam e-mail. As for the questions:

1. yes, I have tried the full clean reinstallation. This is the first thing i tried before I went onto the forums.

2. I run spotify in both Windows 7 and the linux preview for xubuntu. This is not a problem in the linux preview, i'm only having issues in Windows.

3. ^answered above

4. version 0.9.14.13gba5645ad

5. This is only happening on just my windows computer.

1. Have you already tried a full clean reinstallation?

Yes

2. What device are you using? 

Lenovo Y410P Laptop

3. Device OS?

Windows 8.1

4. Spotify app version?

Version 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad

5. Is this happening across multiple devices or just one? 

I only use spotify on my laptop, so I've only experienced this bug there.

I took a screenshot of the bug happening. I was 2 minutes into a song when a Mucinex sidebar ad started playing. The sound was not coming directly from the Spotify app, but rather from SpotifyHelper.

Spotify.png

Thanks for the details on this.

Pinging @meahtenoha to check it out.

Peter

I understand that there is already a thread related to this issue but it does not seem to be resolved nor does it seem to address the issue occurring on the iPad app.

Periodically, at the start of a song an ad will come on and play over the track that I'm listening to.  I don't mind waiting for the ad to finish before listening to the song but at the same time is especially obnoxious.  I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app but that did not work.

For what it may be worth I'm listening to the iPad app through AppleTV but I can't imagine that would make a difference on how the app operates.

Also worth noting is that I've had the app for at least a year but this has only started to happen today (11/24/14), not sure if the app automatically updated recently.

Any thoughts?

@james99 I've moved your topic over here from the ideas exchange since this here is the best place for bug reports. Any news about that issue will be announced here. Could you tell us which Spotify version you're using?

Normally adverts playing over songs happens in the desktop app due to the banner ads but those shouldn't be present on iPad. Is Spotify the only thing running on the iPad (since Airplay to Apple TV will transfer all sounds to the TV)?

Peter

@Marco I'm running version 2.0.0.1643

Another issue I've noticed is that after the ad runs the player controls and status bar at the bottom of the screen are replaced with a solid gray bar with no way to pause or skip tracks.

@Peter That's also happened to me, but that's not happening in this instance. All other apps are closed and I've even watched an ad on Apple TV that coincides with the audio ad playing from spotify over the music track. And when this happens the controls get replaced with a gray bar across the bottom of the app, and it stays way until I restart the app.

I am having the same issues using the Deskop Client for OS X Yosemite (OS X 10.10.1). Video Ads in the ad bar at the bottom of the application constantly activate and play while music is playing, there is usually no way to stop them playing. Sometimes clicking on the blank bar will open the website tied to the ad and will make the ad stop, other times this is ineffective and only the video will appear and the audio of the ad will keep playing. This is an incredibly annoying bug.

These ads just started today every 30-60 seconds over the music and in addition to the adds that play between songs occassionally overlapping the actual built-in ads. HELP!

Is there a solution for this? I have the same problem and would really like to fix it.

I e-mail the Spotify Support Team but they have no intention of e-mailing me back per thier e-mail. I would really like some help on this.

Suggested posts