Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Canceled subscription still charged me $9.99 USD. No response from support.

Solved!

Canceled subscription still charged me $9.99 USD. No response from support.

On 3/5/12, I had logged in to cancel my trial subscription of Spotify before I was charged for it again. Then, on 3/6/12, I received an email saying that I was charged $9.99, anyway. I logged in again, and for some reason my account is acting as if it was never canceled in the first place.

I need my account properly canceled, and the $9.99 reversed, as I do not intend to continue using Spotify.

It is now 3/11/12, and I have still not received any response from Spotify Support. My case number is 301203. I will only allow until 3/14/12 before I dispute the charge with PayPal, as more than a week is plenty of time for somebody to respond to my support query. 

279 Replies

@user-removed wrote:
So I cancellesy subscription about a week ago and I still got charged. I need that money for gas

Hey @user-removed - Unfortunately we can't sort billing issues out here on the community due to the nature of the details required. If you could get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form they will be able to get this sorted out for you. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Pretty shocking that this thread has been seeing constant action for nearly 2 years...

This is appalling practice - bordering on being a SCAM!

Spotify, you REALLY need to look at how you administer accounts... this just isn't acceptable...

if you're going to take customers' money, you need competant account management and customer service.

SHAME ON YOU!

@punimitsu - If you are being billed, then you have a subscription running that hasn't been cancelled somewhere. The issue is people create duplicate accounts and don't even realise it.

Peter

@Peter - that really is complete nonsense!

Are you saying ALL the people on this thread (and numerous others...) have 'accidently' opened multiple Premium accounts?

HIGHLY unlikely!

There are only 2 likely reasons for the number of similar issues with cancellations and continued payments here:

(1) a scam

(2) complete incompetance

I am swaying towards the 2nd option...

BTW do you get paid to post 'contact customer services' all day long...?

I do wish the Spotify Customer Service team's English was as good as yours... maybe you should ask for a transfer???

Its not that people accidentally open multiple premium accounts, but there are several different factors the "subscription still running" issues come about (from experience here on the community):

- As you mention, some people with duplicate accounts do subscribe twice, cancel one and then continue to be billed. This is especially common when peoples free trials disappear, and then they subscribe again expecting to only be billed once (when they must have more than one account).

- Some people with duplicate accounts log into an account which is on free and wrongly assume they have cancelled their premium, when in fact that premium account is still active. 

- Some people never go the whole way through to the cancellation confirmation screen - unless you go the whole way through the process the subscription won't be cancelled. 

- Some people are unaware (and this one is worrying) that someone else is using their billing details, I've seen it all - children, ex girlfriends you name it! 😉 

Admittedly, some of these issues although login is the responsibility of the user are caused by what I see as flaws on Spotify's side - duplicate accounts are far too common for my liking. That being said, if you have been billed but haven't used the account, I have never seen a case where Spotify have not offered a full refund when the person has got in touch with customer services

I don't work for Spotify at all, just here to help people enjoy music as much as I do! 🙂 

Peter

I cancelled my subscription and you didn't reimburse my credit card for the charge. Please credit back my card.

@geovanni - Get in touch with customer services as outlined above and they will be able to lend a hand. Due to the nature of the issue, billing queries are not handled here on the community. 

Peter

I, too cancelled my spotify account about a week ago and somehow I still got charged $9.99 yesterday and I logged into my account and went to check out what happened and it is acting as if I never cancelled it in the first place. And so I tried cancelling it again to see what happens and it still acts as if I didn't cancel it. This is really inconvenient and I can't find anywhere on the website to get ahold of a customer service of some sort. I am trying to request a refund seeing as I did cancel my membership before it was supposed to charge. Please get back to me asap, thanks.

@oliveamcknight - Get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to look into this for you. For future reference, you should get a confirmation screen once your subscription has been cancelled. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Peter

I would like to be contacted immediately. I canceled spotify way before my subscription was supposed to start. I was still charged the $9.99. I would like my money back and a response as soon as possible. 

Screenshot_2014-02-26-10-25-55.png

@user-removed - You will need to get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to assist you further with this.

Peter

i have the trial version. enter to my account and i don't have the option to cancel my subscription. Where can i cancel it ?!

Thnx!

@guillepepper - Can you not cancel from https://www.spotify.com/account/subscription/cancel/ ?

Peter

same thing happened to me...i canceled on 01/08/14 and got confirmation of cancellation with message saying my spotify premium account will expire on 01/09/14, so i got to cancel before the next cycle. when my credit card bill came, i saw that i got charged. tried contacting spotify and they were pretty quick about responding but they said to be able to fix it they needed the exact date and time that charge was made, and the Bank Authorization Code. i called my bank and they do not have such specific information besides those same ones i see on my bill. so i ended up claiming a dispute. investigation of dispute takes about 30 days. this month i got charged again! spotify ended up calling me to get more info on my card and finally said they blocked the card so no more charges will be made. recently i got a letter from my bank saying after their investigation they concluded that in this case they couldn't honor the dispute so i emailed spotify about this and told them if they could just give me 2 months premium membership since i had to pay for jan and feb but i only had free subscription features (i tried playing my playlist on my phone and it won't let me) but they said they can't do and told me to tell the bank to do a "chargeback"...called the bank, and they said the merchant could reverse it since they made the charge...i thought just granting me the 2-month premium membership would be an easy fix, but they are not willing to do this

Hey @batgurllah -- you've been dealing with our specially-trained payments team. They're the best folks to help out with this - they'll reply again to your email as soon as they can. Unfortunately we're not able to deal with payment issues on the Community.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

This has happened to me- for three months.  At first I thought it was my error, but now I realize that I'm just getting screwed over... the account acts like I never cancelled it.  I need that money back, it's basically being stolen from my account and I almost never use Spotify.

@sobocime - As mentioned above, if you could get in touch with the payments team directly using the online contact form they will be happy to investigate this for you (and pay any due refunds etc). 

Peter

I cancelled my account three days before my free month eneded, now it says my account goes back to free in a month, I'm very upset, someone please get back to me. Thanks

@asiegrist - Did you get in touch using the contact form link in my post above?

Peter

i signed up for the free trial of premium in the month of June 2013. i cancelled the subscription within the 30 days yet i have just noticed in my bank statement that you have been taking £9.99 out of my account ever since!!! this is aweful and i demand a refund of this money! i have logged onto my account for the first time since June 2013 and double checked on the "my account" page and it says i am not signed up for spotify premium, so why have you been charging me for over a year!!!!?

i am not at all pleased. this needs to be rectified as i have been cheated out of £120!

please contact me ASAP

Suggested posts