Help - Accounts and Subscriptions

Music Lover
Accepted Solution

Change from Facebook login to an actual spotify account?

[ Edited ]

When I first setup spotify, I used the facebook login option. But now, I'd like to change this by creating an account for spotify (username and password) but don't know how.

Is there a way to do that by keeping my account as is, but creating new login details?

I don't mind keeping it connected to facebook (as I have deactivated all the sharing stuff) but I don't like this trend that everything are dependent of facebook accounts.

Thanks.

Solution!
Community Legend

Re: Change from Facebook login to an actual spottily account?

[ Edited ]

Spotify requires an active Facebook account, you can't use Spotify without going through Facebook.

This is because Sean Parker is an investor in both Spotify and Facebook and he wants music to be tied to people's Facebook accounts. His plan is that people can't deactivate their Facebook - otherwise they lose access to Spotify.

At this point everyone who wants to be on Facebook, is already on Facebook so they're now making deals with third party services like Spotify to try to get more users (one of these deals: you can't have Spotify without Facebook). This way they try to get closer to the billion user milestone.

View solution in original post

Solution!
Music Lover

This would be great! I deactivated my facebook to study for the bar. If spotify can't/wont accomodate, they will lose my subscription. 

Solution!
Chosen by Sam (Moderator)
Kudos: 14,694
Solutions: 3,566
Community Mentor
Ideas Guardian
Protector of Newbs
Troubleshooter

Re: Change from Facebook login to an actual spotify account?

gurdino wrote:

Can someone tell me, if I can change the login from Facebook login to a normal password login?

I already have a Facebook login to Spotify but want to change that.

I don't want Spotify to be linked to Facebook.

If you created your Spotify account using your Facebook then no, your Spotify account is forever tied to that Facebook account. If you want a dedicated Spotify login, you need to make a new account (non-Facebook) using the "Create an account using my email address" link on the registration page.

You can then get in touch with customer services using the online contact form if you would like your playlists moved over to your new account and/or your Facebook account to be removed.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Solution!
Chosen by Sam (Moderator)
Kudos: 14,694
Solutions: 3,566
Community Mentor
Ideas Guardian
Protector of Newbs
Troubleshooter

Re: Change from Facebook login to an actual spotifuggle account?

Your device username should be on your online profile or overview, if you have a Facebook created account it will be a string of 10 digits which is your actual Spotify username for your Spotify account. You need that username and your set device password to log in on partner devices since they don't support Facebook authentication. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

All Replies
Bedroom Songwriter

Agree's! would like to do same also. FB goes down alot. and ofc my Spotify won't work then.

Solution!
Community Legend

[ Edited ]

Spotify requires an active Facebook account, you can't use Spotify without going through Facebook.

This is because Sean Parker is an investor in both Spotify and Facebook and he wants music to be tied to people's Facebook accounts. His plan is that people can't deactivate their Facebook - otherwise they lose access to Spotify.

At this point everyone who wants to be on Facebook, is already on Facebook so they're now making deals with third party services like Spotify to try to get more users (one of these deals: you can't have Spotify without Facebook). This way they try to get closer to the billion user milestone.

Solution!
Music Lover

This would be great! I deactivated my facebook to study for the bar. If spotify can't/wont accomodate, they will lose my subscription. 

Gig Goer

I cant login with my onkyo amplifier with facebook details i need to change to spotify login to do this, but there doesnt seem to be a way to do it..

I really want to use the service through my home cinema system and am very fustrated.

Help please!

Spotify Legend

[ Edited ]

MalcolmDougall - You'd need to create a Device Password in order to use it on your Onkyo device. You can do that right here.

-----
Airhorn Enthusiast
Gig Goer

Hi

I have tried this 4 or 5 times and I have not recieved any emails???  Yes I have checked my email address is correct and yes I have checked my spam folder. 

I really need some help with this!

Cheers

Spotify Legend

Could you pop through an email to us by clicking on "About Us" above and then "Contact Form"? One of our advisors might be able to assist.
-----
Airhorn Enthusiast
Gig Goer

HI has been rectified now! customer services sent me a direct link to set a password for use with my Onkyo amp.

Thank you!

Music Fan

I deactivated my facebook account but made a new one. How can I link the new account to my previous spotify account? 
Now, i can't even log in to spotify and I have a premium account. 
I'm in panic.

Announcements
Test Spotify Connect
Would you like to help QA test Connect? If so, please log in or register.

More

Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.