Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Change language set up

Change language set up

The language set up on my account is not the proper one. Anyone who knows how to change the language?

81 Replies

This should just be an option in your Spotify Preferences (Win: Edit > Preferences | Mac: Spotify > Preferences)

Screen Shot 2012-02-25 at 10.54.12 AM.png

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Well in Switzerland at least it's not working... I see tons of things in german and my settings are set to "french" (I also tried with english).

The language selection is a fake I think and it's using the country you live in... and for Switzerland a lot of companies do the mistake to think that it's a german country... very upsetting... I'll switch back to my french address...

Yanni - After changing the language, are you closing your Spotify totally? You'll need to shut it down properly before the language change takes effect, with the language changed when it's opened again.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

yes I did. Filtr for instance is still in German

Hmm ok. Are the Apps the only things appearing in German? There are specific German apps, exclusive to the German market, so these will only be available in German.
-------

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

After a long running email thread with Spotify support I'm convinced that Spotify

1. doesn't understand the difference between language and country

2. doesn't understand that language is related to a person, not an IP address

So, I'm one of the million-odd people living in France who don't have French as a first language, and indeed don't have French music as my first preference. There will of course be people in other countries (including Switzerland!) who would prefer to have access to the French catalogue/language/ads. 

So this means that

1. I don't have access to the same catalogue of music that my friends in the UK, Australia and the US enjoy.

2. advertisements are either incomprehensible, inapplicable or both. Since I can't pay to get non-French catalog, there's no compulsion to subscribe for ad-free listening

3. Help files always turn up in French rather than English despite my application and browser language being set to English. Spotify choose to ignore user-specified preferences  and abdicate everything to the gods of IP addresses.

4. When I travel to other countries, everything I see is subject to the IP address of my laptop -which may not even match the country I'm in, as I've found that a lot of hotel chains may have their internet gateways in a different country to where you're sitting.

5. All the mailouts, terms and conditions etc that Spotify send are in the wrong language.

With respect to the language selection being tied to country there are multiple problems

1. the selector is hidden at the bottom of the page

2. the country names are written in the page language rather than in native format: English, Deutsche, Francais etc

3. changing to another country's page changes the content (including such things as the prices) not just the language

Even within the application, the localization of text is poor. If I bring up the purchase dialog, it tells me that 13 downloads expiry in 30 days, whereas all other bundles expire in 30 jour.

I had the same problem. I live in the Netherlands, but am not Dutch, so I prefer everything in English. I managed to get it installed in English by changing the Region and Language settings in Windows to English and then re-install Spotify. Works for lots of other programmes too - the same way.

My entire system is in English to start off with, but that has no bearing on Spotify wanting to use its French IP address to change parts of its UI and services to French.

For the bulk of the UI it's completely unnecessary to change regional settings before install as you can change it in the program settings Edit > Preferences > Languages. The "dynamic UI content" stays in the language of the local Spotify service regardless of anything else you do.

My system language was set to English too, but the display language still set to Dutch. Maybe you can check this:

Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Region and Language > Change display language > Formats > 

I don't need to check that, I know it's all English.

I just changed my Spotify language to Dutch in the menu as described, restarted it and it's all in Dutch, apart from the bits that stay French. You can set it to any of five languages that way.

I change back to English the same way. You did it the hard way 🙂

I live in Sweden, I speak swedish, I pay my Spotify account through my swedish account. But still...For the last couple of months my Spotify is in dutch. Getting tired of this, since I don't speak the language. All my settings look correct but the dutch still remains. Sucks bigtime. 

@13343 wrote:

I live in Sweden, I speak swedish, I pay my Spotify account through my swedish account. But still...For the last couple of months my Spotify is in dutch. Getting tired of this, since I don't speak the language. All my settings look correct but the dutch still remains. Sucks bigtime. 

In your Preferences, is the language set to Swedish or auto-detect?

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Besides that, they have this nasty way of showing web pages in German (I live in Switzerland, but don't read German).

If you enter www.spotify.com/en/... it redirects to www.spotify.com/ch-de/...

Any chance of keeping the pages in English??

(Oh, by the way, I am using Safari in a Mac OSX.)

If you change the country at the bottom of the website, it should direct you to that country page.
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

Yep, but in countries like Switzerland, you are then automatically set to german... no way to change the apps options... all the located ones are in german with no way to have them in english (or french)

Oh the apps? Yes, depending on your location you will receive country-specific apps. As the apps are third party applications, you can't manage the languages in these.

However, you can manage the language in the rest of the Spotify app. Just head to your Preferences menu and change it here.
-------

Who's your Spotify Star?

How can you change the Edit / Preferences if you can't read the language???????

I have only just set this up and I'm in the Netherlands but don't speak Dutch.. and of course it's all in Dutch.
I can't change anything because it's all in dutch... and I can't read it !! hahaha

So it's the second word from the left, and the bottom word on that drop down list.. and then scroll down the page until you see another list.. select your new language. Close the program. And I rebooted just to be sure.

That worked.

My spotify is in french, and i'm trying to turn it back to english. How do i do that?

Suggested posts