2012-02-25 10:55 AM
This should just be an option in your Spotify Preferences (Win: Edit > Preferences | Mac: Spotify > Preferences)
2012-04-02 02:28 PM
Well in Switzerland at least it's not working... I see tons of things in german and my settings are set to "french" (I also tried with english).
The language selection is a fake I think and it's using the country you live in... and for Switzerland a lot of companies do the mistake to think that it's a german country... very upsetting... I'll switch back to my french address...
2012-04-02 02:56 PM
2012-04-03 06:48 AM
2012-04-08 02:32 PM
After a long running email thread with Spotify support I'm convinced that Spotify
1. doesn't understand the difference between language and country
2. doesn't understand that language is related to a person, not an IP address
So, I'm one of the million-odd people living in France who don't have French as a first language, and indeed don't have French music as my first preference. There will of course be people in other countries (including Switzerland!) who would prefer to have access to the French catalogue/language/ads.
So this means that
1. I don't have access to the same catalogue of music that my friends in the UK, Australia and the US enjoy.
2. advertisements are either incomprehensible, inapplicable or both. Since I can't pay to get non-French catalog, there's no compulsion to subscribe for ad-free listening
3. Help files always turn up in French rather than English despite my application and browser language being set to English. Spotify choose to ignore user-specified preferences and abdicate everything to the gods of IP addresses.
4. When I travel to other countries, everything I see is subject to the IP address of my laptop -which may not even match the country I'm in, as I've found that a lot of hotel chains may have their internet gateways in a different country to where you're sitting.
5. All the mailouts, terms and conditions etc that Spotify send are in the wrong language.
With respect to the language selection being tied to country there are multiple problems
1. the selector is hidden at the bottom of the page
2. the country names are written in the page language rather than in native format: English, Deutsche, Francais etc
3. changing to another country's page changes the content (including such things as the prices) not just the language
Even within the application, the localization of text is poor. If I bring up the purchase dialog, it tells me that 13 downloads expiry in 30 days, whereas all other bundles expire in 30 jour.
2012-04-24 04:49 PM
I had the same problem. I live in the Netherlands, but am not Dutch, so I prefer everything in English. I managed to get it installed in English by changing the Region and Language settings in Windows to English and then re-install Spotify. Works for lots of other programmes too - the same way.
2012-04-24 04:56 PM
My entire system is in English to start off with, but that has no bearing on Spotify wanting to use its French IP address to change parts of its UI and services to French.
For the bulk of the UI it's completely unnecessary to change regional settings before install as you can change it in the program settings Edit > Preferences > Languages. The "dynamic UI content" stays in the language of the local Spotify service regardless of anything else you do.
2012-04-24 04:58 PM
My system language was set to English too, but the display language still set to Dutch. Maybe you can check this:
Control Panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Region and Language > Change display language > Formats >
|Hi folks. We're aware that ... . We're investigating!|
To stay updated please come in here.
Would you like to beta test Spotify Desktop?|
If so, please log in or register.
Please bear in mind that the Community is not an official Spotify support service. It's a place where we all help each other, whether we work for Spotify or not. So please use your discretion when using the forum.