Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Credit Card Stopped Working “Oops, seems your card or payment provider is having a bad day"

Credit Card Stopped Working “Oops, seems your card or payment provider is having a bad day"

!!! SUCCESS : read below !!!

I was on Premium and Spotify was charging my credit card (last charge in January 2015).  Then in February I got an email saying I needed to update my payment information and I lost Premium.

I ended up deleting the card and re-adding it after talking with email support.  Everytime I tried to "upgrade to premium" I get this error message.

“Oops, seems your card or payment provider is having a bad day. Don’t worry, no money has been charged. Try again or use another payment method.”

Spotify support already told me to check with my bank and I have.

The card works, there is no block on any transactions.  The credit card company says there haven't even been any transactions attempted by Spotify (nothing to decline).

I have a Chase Sapphire VISA card in the USA.

Anyone else have this problem?  Anyone at Spotify think they can fix this?  So far, email support has only told me that it's my bank's fault or to try a different payment method.

** Update **

Spotify support confirmed that it's a Visa card. Didn't say if they attempted a transaction or not.

They suggested it might be something wrong with my account and that I should create a new account and upgrade it.

I refuse to change anything from what was working in January until Spotify gives me a reason things are broken.

** Update **

Spotify support contacted the Payments Team. They said it "might be because our system needs a little time to catch up with things".  They recommended waiting 48 hours before trying to upgrade to Premium again.

This doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm will to try it.

They gave me another free month of Premium while I wait.  Much appreciated.

** Update **

Regarding the last contact I had with Spotify Support, I waited for a few days and tried again. Didn't work.  I repeated the process a few days later and still didn't work. I repeated for a third time a few days later and still didn't work. I replied to Spotify Support and let them know and haven't heard anything back since a few days ago. I'm just waiting as of now.

** Update **

I was contacted again by Spotify Support (email).

"I'm afraid that currently there isn't much that we can do, but this isn't[sic] being looked into.

I did add another month of Premium onto your account and once that runs out the issue should be fixed."

So, I still don't know if Spotify has identified a problem. I will continue to wait and use month to month Premium.

** Update **

On May 14, 2015 I was able to subscribe to spotify premium with my credit card.

I wasn't notified by Spotify support that I should try again.  It was the same card and account, but a new credit card number.

My long nightmare of ad supported listening is finally coming to a close.  I hope everyone who has run into this issue will try again and report here if there is still an issue.

56 Replies

Support will have to help with this.

Reply back to them and tell them you still need help.

If your problem still does not get solved, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Also, try a different browser or computer to see if you still have the same problem.

MattSudaSpotify Star

I've tried Safari and Firefox on Mac, Firefox on Windows.  It's always the same error.

This is the most unhelpful answer possible, I've seen this same thing like 5 times. What's the point of having these support forums if we can't ask **bleep** here?

@killmatos 

This is not an official way to get help from Spotify support.

I suggest you contact support so they can help you

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

You can also tweet to @SpotifyCares on Twitter for help.

MattSudaSpotify Star

I'm already in contact with customer support.  I just thought I should share my experience with the community.

I'll continue to update this post when I get more information.

I also have a Chase Sapphire card and got the same message...tried another Chase Visa, and it still didn't work.  Luckly I had a Mastercard that worked...my only other credit card - and it's a Shell gas station card, so I guess I'm buying gasoline and Spotify on that card 🙂 

Both my Chase cards didn't work...I wonder if they reject the small transaction they try to put through?

I'm having the same problem with the payment, is there any email to contact the spotify team, it's no my bank nor my credit cards having problems

@rmustard wrote:

I was on Premium and Spotify was charging my credit card (last charge in January 2015).  Then in February I got an email saying I needed to update my payment information and I lost Premium.

I ended up deleting the card and re-adding it after talking with email support.  Everytime I tried to "upgrade to premium" I get this error message.

“Oops, seems your card or payment provider is having a bad day. Don’t worry, no money has been charged. Try again or use another payment method.”

The card works, there is no block on any transactions.  The credit card company says there haven't even been any transactions attempted by Spotify (nothing to decline).

Anyone else have this problem?  Anyone at Spotify think they can fix this?  So far, email support has only told me that it's my bank's fault or to try a different payment method.

** Update **

Spotify support confirmed that it's a Visa card. Didn't say if they attempted a transaction or not.

They suggested it might be something wrong with my account and that I should create a new account and upgrade it.

I refuse to change anything from what was working in January until Spotify gives me a reason things are broken.

** Update **

Spotify support contacted the Payments Team. They said it "might be because our system needs a little time to catch up with things".  They recommended waiting 48 hours before trying to upgrade to Premium again.

@rmustard wrote:

** Update **

** Update **

hello, i have the same problem, it's not my bank or my credit cards, i did the same way as you did, is there any email to explain this situation to the spotify team... txs

any email to contact spotifuggle team? i have the same problem with the payment, isn't y bank nor my credit cards... thanks in advance

Ditto to all of the above.  Different cards, different devices, different browsers, same answer - Ooops...  Support removed the old card from the account thinking that may have been a problem - nothing.  I tried to set up a new account - nothing.  Surely there's an answer.

I'm having the same problem as everyone else here.

One thing in common, my card is a Chase Sapphire as well.

Support tried to "reset" the account and it didn't do anything.

The card was working for over a year. I called the bank and they don't see any of the charge requests coming in, they are not being blocked/rejected.

I've just been emailing support@spotify.com.

They've been going back and forth with me, but it hasn't been helpful.  Nothing has changed in the 2 months I've been trying to fix this.

Support is now recommending I find another credit card or buy e-gift cards.

None of these responses from the company acknowledge there is clearly a problem that many people are having. Wish they would just acknowledge it and provide an ETA.

Was my card blacklisted b/c you think it was compromised? Fine just say so.

Is your payment gateway having issues with certain banks? Ok, things happen.

I suppose there's never been a better time to check out Rdio and Tidal. I'm trying to be loyal to company I've spent lots of time (and paid plenty of money)... but if they are making it impossible then I guess it's adios.

Hi @rossbates,

I'd recommend to try a different payment provider like Paypal. Let me know if that helped or not.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

@Jordi wrote:

Hi @rossbates,

I'd recommend to try a different payment provider like Paypal. Let me know if that helped or not.

Spotify Support suggested this as well.

I won't do this until Spotify gives me a reason why my credit card can't be used.

Keep in mind Spotify were able and willing to charge my credit card at least through January of 2015.

Bump.

Agreed, this was working fine before. Maybe it's time to find a different service if it can't be resolved?

Same problem -- with Chase Sapphire as well.

Days and days trying to update account with what is a perfectly good credit card -- works online, retail stores, over phone.  Everywhere it seems, other than Spotify.

I've not been able to get a Spotify person to respond to several attempts to contact them.  A phone number would be helpful although it seems Spotify wants to keep their customers at arms length.

Going to go to another service soon if they don't do more than send me canned messages telling me my problem can be solved with FAQ's or posting to you guys on a Spotify Community site.

Rhapsody, Beats, Tidal????  Spotify doesn't exactly have a monopoly in this space.  I'm sure others would take the monthly fee happily.

The only leverage we have as customers is to refuse to pay for the service.

I still want Spotify premium so I'm hoping they get it sorted out.

Suggested posts