Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Credit Card Stopped Working “Oops, seems your card or payment provider is having a bad day"

Credit Card Stopped Working “Oops, seems your card or payment provider is having a bad day"

!!! SUCCESS : read below !!!

I was on Premium and Spotify was charging my credit card (last charge in January 2015).  Then in February I got an email saying I needed to update my payment information and I lost Premium.

I ended up deleting the card and re-adding it after talking with email support.  Everytime I tried to "upgrade to premium" I get this error message.

“Oops, seems your card or payment provider is having a bad day. Don’t worry, no money has been charged. Try again or use another payment method.”

Spotify support already told me to check with my bank and I have.

The card works, there is no block on any transactions.  The credit card company says there haven't even been any transactions attempted by Spotify (nothing to decline).

I have a Chase Sapphire VISA card in the USA.

Anyone else have this problem?  Anyone at Spotify think they can fix this?  So far, email support has only told me that it's my bank's fault or to try a different payment method.

** Update **

Spotify support confirmed that it's a Visa card. Didn't say if they attempted a transaction or not.

They suggested it might be something wrong with my account and that I should create a new account and upgrade it.

I refuse to change anything from what was working in January until Spotify gives me a reason things are broken.

** Update **

Spotify support contacted the Payments Team. They said it "might be because our system needs a little time to catch up with things".  They recommended waiting 48 hours before trying to upgrade to Premium again.

This doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm will to try it.

They gave me another free month of Premium while I wait.  Much appreciated.

** Update **

Regarding the last contact I had with Spotify Support, I waited for a few days and tried again. Didn't work.  I repeated the process a few days later and still didn't work. I repeated for a third time a few days later and still didn't work. I replied to Spotify Support and let them know and haven't heard anything back since a few days ago. I'm just waiting as of now.

** Update **

I was contacted again by Spotify Support (email).

"I'm afraid that currently there isn't much that we can do, but this isn't[sic] being looked into.

I did add another month of Premium onto your account and once that runs out the issue should be fixed."

So, I still don't know if Spotify has identified a problem. I will continue to wait and use month to month Premium.

** Update **

On May 14, 2015 I was able to subscribe to spotify premium with my credit card.

I wasn't notified by Spotify support that I should try again.  It was the same card and account, but a new credit card number.

My long nightmare of ad supported listening is finally coming to a close.  I hope everyone who has run into this issue will try again and report here if there is still an issue.

56 Replies

Same exact problem here, with a VIsa.  I called Visa and they couldn't have denied it becasue they haven't even recieved an attempt from Spotify to charge my card.  Getting no response from Spotify, either.  I'm with the guy above as far as trying other payment options.  If you can't figur eout how to charge a VISA card, and then you blame my credit card company without so much as even trying to charge it, then you've got bigger problems than I'm willing to deal with.

I have exaclty the same issue.  In March, Spotify gave me a month free, but that month just finished and now I'm again receiving the following message when I try to update my payment:

“Oops, seems your card or payment provider is having a bad day. Don’t worry, no money has been charged. Try again or use another payment method.”

I also called the credit card company and they said that there have been no transaction attempts by Spotfiy.  The problem is definitely with Spotify, but they don't seem too intent on fixing it.

I have same problem but I cannot even get a reply from customer service. Seems odd that we are trying to pay the & they decline. Is it that they feel they own the space?

Exact same problem, again with a Chase Sapphire card. Chase has made it clear that there is nothing wrong with the VISA account and that they have no records of Spotify ever submitting transactions, let alone refusing them.

Any suggestions on the best non-Spotify streaming service for classical music? I'm sick of this terrible service. $120/year is not a trivial sum, so you'd think it would buy you access to at least a minimal level of customer service.

@MattSuda wrote:

Support will have to help with this.

Reply back to them and tell them you still need help.

If your problem still does not get solved, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

I have trying to subscribe for Spotify Music Premium for past seven days but failed to register my name for it.  Why I cannot use my Hong Leong Bank (Malaysia) Debit Card Visa Card to register my name for this Premium Spotify Music Account so that I can be subscribed for this Premium Account?  Why using a Debit Card cannot be entitled to subscribe for this Premium Account? Please explain for it's reason?

Yours faithfully,

The very disturbed potential subscriber,

ALEX LEE KHIM CHAI.

Dated this 20th April 2015, Monday at Klang, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.

P.S.  You may contact me at this Mobile Handphone number:   at Klang, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.

@kclee4661297 

I suggest you contact support so they can help you

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I also had the same problem. I got a random email yesterday that said my subscription had been canceled. I tried my chase visa and my amex with no results. Customer support emailed me today and said to try the different browser thing. I used explorer, chrome and safari with no luck. I emailed them back but this is ridiculous. I'm trying to use your service as a paying customer and I can't seem to get any answers. Is there no one to talk to that can actually handle billing and respond in a timely manner?

An update: Spotify support responded to my query with a boilerplate answer that ignored the details of my original question. 

I am shocked that Spotify is so cavalier about their failure to capture income from customers who want to give them money.

I'm done with Spotify. Trying Classics Online HD-LL right now, and liking it. At first glance it seems MUCH better for listeners who are savvy about classical music. Sound quality is excellent (and they have no problems processing my payment!)

Thanks for posting this - I'm having the same issue and thought it was my card at first.  

I got a new card in the mail and tried to update my information and it didn't accept the card.  Then yesterday I got an email saying that they couldn't process my transaction - even though my old card was still good for another month.  I have both Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphine - tried with both and the same error message.  I have also tried on mutliple computers as well as my phone and got the same error message.

I'll be contacting support to let them know that another person is having this issue as well and that it is something they need to seriously look into.

I would like to have Premium again but am unwilling to connect my credit cards to a Paypal account just to be able to sign up when they have been taking my old Chase card for over 2 years without an issue.

This is super disappointing, I still have not heard from Spotify support and I am still sitting here without Spotify unable to pay for premium..

I have now tried to contact Spotify three times since last Thursday and absolutely no response.   The thing that perplexes me is the apparent arrogance of Spotify as I have wasted a ton of time trying to figure this out.  They obviously have turned into a huge corporate machine and really don't give a dang about their customer base.  I have heard someone mention Rhapsody or Amazon for streaming....Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

I am having the same problem.  Been a loyal Spotify premium customer for a few years. Our credit card (Visa) account was hacked twice due to Target and Home Depot breaches. I may have accidentally neglected to update my Spotify credit card in the process. Not that I have nothing else to think about, mind you.

Every time I try to update my payment info w/ the new card, I get the Oops message. There is NOTHING wrong w/ my credit card. I use is every day.  

C'mon Spotify Figure this crap out. Or at least give me a REAL person I can try to resolve it with.  

I'm just about finished with Spotify and will tell all my friends too!

Well, I was finally able to re-subscribe this morning. Absolutely no word from Spotify as to why I couldn't for a couple days or what was wrong, it just works now... so that's good, but still pretty disappointing customer service from Spotify.

I just sent them a ticket asking about this issue.  none of my ccs were working as of yesterday through spotify.  maybe I'll give it another stab.  I may have used my ccs before for other trials in the past.  I thought maybe they blocked my ccs or something.

Still not working for me... moving on

@Aberrix wrote:

Well, I was finally able to re-subscribe this morning. Absolutely no word from Spotify as to why I couldn't for a couple days or what was wrong, it just works now... so that's good, but still pretty disappointing customer service from Spotify.

That's great to hear!

Unfortunately, it still didn't work for me when I just tried right now. Same error.

Hello everyone. Staff here.

We are still investigating this issue. In the meantime, please try this again since we think we’ve improved the issue.

If you’re still having problems paying for Spotify after you've tried again, please get in touch with our support team via the contact form.

Thanks folks.

Hi everyone!

Was just able to successfully renew my service.

Good luck!

I have a wedding coming up in a few days and had all my playlists setup in Spotify. Now I am having this issue. None of the credits cards i've tried are working. Keep getting the same message: Oops, seems your card or payment provider is having a bad day. Don't worry, no money has been charged. Try again or use another payment method.

I was having the same problem for weeks and sent an email to customer support.

They suggested a work around by paying via paypal and it worked! Seems like there is an issue with spotify's billing program.

YMMV.  Goodluck!

Suggested posts