Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Family plan subscription for Canada

Solved!

Family plan subscription for Canada

Is the Spotify Family plan available yet in Canada? 

My wife and I both have the free accounts and would like to switch to the family plan, however when we click on Upgrade, we don't see any kind of link to the family plan. 

Thanks

D

227 Replies

Has anyone from Spotify ever responded to these posts?  I've read through several pages looking for a response and con't find one.  That in itself is strage behaviour in highly competitive market where once you get rolling with a service, you're unlikely to switch.  My 3 month trial that I purchased for everyone in my family after Rdio disapeared expires soon.  I guess it's time to start looking for an alternative.  

I'm fast loosing patience with waiting for the Family Plan to come to Canada. I've got a wife and two kids desperate to start using the premium Spotify service, but I feel like I"m waiting for a glacier to melt. No news no updates and no real responses to my Tweets.

I know we're North of the border but anyone would think Canada is on another planet! If Apple can release family plan in Canada then why can't Spotify?

Getting seriously close to switching to Itunes Family Sharing....

Even Google Play has family plans and with expicit filtering in Canada.

Pretty sad that Spotify obviously doesn't care that other competitors are stealing their customers.

I also moved our accounts to Google Play.  I am very happy, wife and kids all for $14.99.  Better price than Spotify even if they had the family plan.  This is what Spotify needs to beat.

BTW, I also found out Google Play pays the artists more.  🙂

@thexald wrote:
For those of you who are now using google play music, don't ever let your subscription run out or you'll have to completely rebuild your library lol. I used to use it, and I now completely despise GMusic and really wanna ditch spotify because of how much I'm getting ripped off just because I live in canada
What disappears, I have gone from paid to unpaid and back to paid.  I haven't noticed anything disappearing, but truth be, I didn't move all my playlists at that time.  What exactly do you lose?  (I know all the personal music I load independantly stays....).. which is a great feature!

Well colour me dissapointed! I should have looked into this before signing up but assumed in this day and age Spotify would have family pricing - it never occured to me they wouldn't! My family was looking to move from Rdio and I signed up for the Spotify trial and generally have been liking the service but my trial runs out in a few weeks and without family plan pricing, we'll be going elsewhere - either Apple Music or possibly Google Play. Goodbye Spotify, I guess.

When will there be a Spotify family plan be availabile in Canada and will the pricing be competitive with Apple Music?  A Family Plan was supposed to be available in all countries that Spotify is available yet it is not available here.  Want to add at least one more family member but if I can't I'll have to go elsewhere where I can.

Don't hold your breath any longer. This is not a priority for Spotify. Put your money elsewhere, now! Google Play Music is an excellent alternative.

Regards

Will be a year since Spotify announced this. Extremely disappointed with Spotify. And to think I tried convincing other people to join Spotify when spoke music and google music have this sort of thing already available not just in the states but other countries as well...
Don't care about being able to watch videos and mixing songs based on some djs playlist. Give me some better service...

I just moved back to spotify. With no family plan still, I may just move along again..

Apple Music Here I Come???

Apple music is actually great. Using Siri, you can just ask for anything to play, and it’s just $15 for the whole family

I just got an email from Spotify promoting Rogers Share Everything+ Plan:

"Get up to 3 Spotify Premium accounts for free with a Rogers Share Everything + Plan*
Once. Twice. Three times the Premium. That’s all the non-stop, offline and ad-free listening you and your family need."

This has to be the reason why we can't get a family plan. It is so frustrating!

I wonder how long their partnership is for. i really want to stay with Spotify because I like the playlist sharing features, but my wife liked Songza and it's now part of Google Play so may have to move to Google Play to keep her happy.

Well to add to the above post - I guess I have a definitive answer.

I emailed Spotify asking "When will Spotify Family be available in Canada?". Here is the reply:

From: noreply@salesforce.com [mailto:noreply@salesforce.com] On Behalf Of support@spotify.com
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2016 8:33 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Subscription - Spotify Family [ ref:_00DD0pxIW._5005718WmsR:ref ]

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We're happy that you're interested in Spotify Family. We'll help you get that deal in Canada.

Spotify Family in Canada is exclusively offered via Rogers, one of our partner.

You'll be unable to get a family subscription directly through Spotify at this time, but we’ll pass on your feedback about this.

If you'd like to make the switch though, you first need to cancel the renewal of your Premium and wait for your account to revert to a Free account: 

1. Go to the Subscription page.
  2. Under Cancel your subscription, click View your options.
  3. Select the Other reasons radio button, then click CONTINUE.
  4. Click CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION.
  5. In Password, enter your password. Click CANCEL SPOTIFY PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION.

Your subscription page now shows the date you will revert to our Free ad-based service. After this, please contact Rogers directly to apply the promotion to your account.

Let us know if you have any other questions, We're just an email away.

Have a nice day,

Joyce

Spotify Customer Support

>> This makes absolutely no sense. I'm not a Rogers customer. There is 0.000% chance I ever will be. One cannot subscribe to this without being a Rogers customer. What a terribly impractical and irrational business decision by Spotify.

Agreed. Ridiculous decision to ignore a large part of their subscribers due to some deal with Rogers. I am fine with them having some special promotion with Rogers so that family plan was cheaper, but exclusive? Well, I did switch, and it wasn't cell phone providers. I am now on Google Play Music.

Yes. Number 4 in her instructions to me was the most helpful.

Wow, I am going back to apple music with our 4 subscriptions then, enough paying for all of them

I'm very disappointed in Spotify for not offering a Canadian Family Plan, or more specifically, for not having a plan for non-Rogers customers - the majority of Canadians.

As a result, I had no choice but to go with the Google Music Family plan for $14.99 last week, which allows for up to 5 other family members (6 total) to have their own account. I'd have prefered to stay with Spotify, but since Spotify won't be flexible to their customers' needs, I had no choice but to go with Google Music. And to be honest, other than I prefer the Spotify GUI a little more and I had to create new playlists, Google Music is just as good as Spotify for my and my family's needs.

Fix this. Soon. Or I'm gone too.

It's not worth it. It won't happen. Read the previous posts. You are just wasting time. Move on now!

Disappointing as I've been loyal to Spotify since early 2013 (US account).
Apple Music family account now set up - won't be renewing Spotify.

Suggested posts