Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Gift Cards International Usage

Solved!

Gift Cards International Usage

I'm from the UK, my girlfriend lives in Hong Kong. I'm thinking about buying her a Spotify gift card. She'll be over for Christmas, so she can redeem the card in either UK or Hong Kong.

Do gift cards need to be tied to a region? If she redeems a UK card in the UK, can the account be changed to Hong Kong when she goes home? Will the value stay? Or do I need to buy a Hong Kong gif card, and she has to wait until she goes home to redeem (do HK gift cards even exist, and if they do, what's the best way to buy them from the UK)?

Also, how large is the library of Asian music? Specifically Chinese (Mandarin),  but also Korean and Japanese?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@ss718 Hey! Gift cards are tied to the country they're purchased in. So if you buy her a UK card, it'll need to redeemed to a UK-based account.

Premium also allows Unlimited travel, so when she's over, she can change the country in her account to the UK and add the card and she won't need to worry about changing the country again until the Premium runs out.

Regarding the catalogue, it's pretty comprehensive. We have teams in Asia trying to get as much music onto the service as possible.

Does that help?

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Spotify gift cards are tied to country, so if you buy a UK gift card it must be redeemed on a UK account. This shouldn't be an issue if your girlfriend is visiting the UK though! She could change her account to UK whilst here, redeem the gift card for premium (which gives unlimited abroad access), use all her premium time even when she is in Hong Kong and then once her Premium time expires she can change her country back to Hong Kong to continue using the free service there. 

The content available does change depending on what country your account is registered in, so you will find there is a difference in content between when the account is registered in the UK and when its registered in Hong Kong. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Marked as solution

@ss718 Hey! Gift cards are tied to the country they're purchased in. So if you buy her a UK card, it'll need to redeemed to a UK-based account.

Premium also allows Unlimited travel, so when she's over, she can change the country in her account to the UK and add the card and she won't need to worry about changing the country again until the Premium runs out.

Regarding the catalogue, it's pretty comprehensive. We have teams in Asia trying to get as much music onto the service as possible.

Does that help?

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?
Marked as solution

Spotify gift cards are tied to country, so if you buy a UK gift card it must be redeemed on a UK account. This shouldn't be an issue if your girlfriend is visiting the UK though! She could change her account to UK whilst here, redeem the gift card for premium (which gives unlimited abroad access), use all her premium time even when she is in Hong Kong and then once her Premium time expires she can change her country back to Hong Kong to continue using the free service there. 

The content available does change depending on what country your account is registered in, so you will find there is a difference in content between when the account is registered in the UK and when its registered in Hong Kong. 

Peter

Thanks guys, situation sorted!

Hello guys, if I understand well, the problem occurs only if the person that activate the e-card is always out from the state where the card is bought, while if the premium account is active for the first time in the state where it is bought, then there is no problem to use it abroad for most of time, right? I was doubtful to buy it even if my brother is coming in my country for the Christmas period and then he goes abroad in the country avere he lives. The only pity is that he will not use 1 month of free use. Thank you!

As long as the country set on your brothers Spotify profile (when he logs in) matches the country you are purchasing the gift card in, he should be able to redeem it without an issue. 

Peter

Hello. Im having a problem with my gift card i leave in sweden and now im in france and i bought a gift card and can not reedem it and i cant change the country of my acount. What should i do?

If you get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form they should be able to get your country swapped over so you can redeem that card.

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Peter

Suggested posts