Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Greece, Capital Controls and Spotify.

Solved!

Greece, Capital Controls and Spotify.

I am, at least till now, a premiun subscriber since 2013. Due to the terrible political and economic situation capital controls are imposed in Greece and I cannot meet this month's payment beacause greek credit cards are restricted to homeland use only. I would be grateful if you could let all Greek premium members of what is going to happen with our accounts. There has to be an official statement from your part. Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey everyone.

Some banks in Greece have taken measures that may block you from making payments or changing to certain payment methods on Spotify. This is unfortunately out of our control, but we hope it's resolved soon.

In the meantime, you may want to change your payment method to PaySafe Card (online payments only).

We'll keep you updated on this. 

View solution in original post

38 Replies

Dear Spotify,

As I am sure you are pretty aware that we have capital controls here in Greece and for this reason we cannot pay for ANYTHING that is abroad. I received an email today saying that my subscription will be cancelled.

Can you pleae give all your greek users a chance before our banks and our accounts can open again ?

Same here. I just received the same note.

Hey @Marios092

What will most likely happen is that when Spoitify tries to charge your card, it will fail. Then your account will drop to free. Your music will be safe and you can still listen to Spotify, but there will be ads.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Same here, just received notification that my payment cannot be completed.

+1 here. It would be nice if Spotify issued a statement on this matter.

Hi Matt. Spotify's current stance is "use a PaySafe card instead", but PaySafe too cannot currently process payments from Greece.

Several Companies that work with Greek clients (like big hosting providers) has issued statements on this issue, some has extended a grace period for payments from Greece. I'd like so hear from Spotify on this matter.

Hello.

I am a Premium subscriber, however due to recent capital controls imposed on Greece by the Government, all of my credit cards (Visa, Master and Amex) are being declined. There is money in the cards, however I cannot escape the fact that I live in a totally **bleep**ed up country.PaymentPayment

No method of transfering money abroad is allowed.

Only a Greek based business or a business with a greek bank account is allowed to charge Greek cards cards or for me to be allowed to transfer money via electronic banking.

Let me know how I can pay you, other than getting on a plane to London.

I am in the same situation. After yesterdays commitments by Greek goverments things seem to get better. It would be nice if Spotify allowed us to use our account for a week or sth and charge us later for the whole period

I have the same problem. Do something

Pay safe dosnt work in greece since the enforcementof Capital Controls.

Could you pleas provide us with a greek bank account. Or an address to mail money to?

Marked as solution

Hey everyone.

Some banks in Greece have taken measures that may block you from making payments or changing to certain payment methods on Spotify. This is unfortunately out of our control, but we hope it's resolved soon.

In the meantime, you may want to change your payment method to PaySafe Card (online payments only).

We'll keep you updated on this. 

Hello Adam_B,

Τhere is no paysafe card option, unless it's somewhere I can't see it. There 3 options, credit card, paypal & redeem your code.

In addition to that, I think we can't even buy paysafe cards at the moment, as it still considered an international transaction. 

Best regards,

Paysafe is NOT issuing cards in Greece for as long as the banks remain closed.

To cut a long story short, these are the 3 options for us unfortunate Greeks with premium accounts:

1. The good old snail-mail money via traditional post

2. Spotify opens a bank account in a Greek bank.

3. Spotify extends a moratorium to Greek Premium subscribers for as long as this thing lasts. Judging by what's happening, it should be resolved within a few weeks.

P.S In Greece, downloading mp3's is perfectly legal. 130% of what's available on Spotify is just a few clicks away, and that includes the Tool and Beatles, and (ugh) Taylor Swift and Prince etc. Many Greeks like me took the stance to pay for Spotify as a means to say no to piracy.

Same problem for me. I wish Spotify could do something about it. Or extend the premium period for a few weeks. 

Hello,

same problem for me here. I've been a premium Spotify user since my UK years and decided to have it in Greece also (even though music is a few clicks away for free as mentioned above). i am also a web designer/developer and all my work servers are abroad therefore I have the same problem.

The solution the web host gave me was an extension until the bank problem is resolved. It would be nice from Spotify to show people some support when they neede it most.

Hope you all having an amazing muzical summer

MB

Does anybody know? Can a friend of mine from abroad pay the subscription for me? Maybe as a gift? In Greece we cannot send gifts but can we reveive one?

I had my father put me into his USA family plan. But even that could be completed as I have my account based on another country. I am very disappointed with the whole situation. It seems as if they don't give a **bleep** about their customers in Greece. Too bad. I will think twice before going premium again.

Same problem here my payment cannot be processed . I used to pay via paypal but due to capital controls that is not possible anymore. It would be nice if spotify could do something about that. Otherwise apple music is here to stay after the free 3 month trial.

Same problem here...

Thank you spotify for understanding our situation, I just got an email saying that my premium subscription has been canceled.

Just started my Apple music three months trial... Thanks again...

PS: Seems to me that Apple is more sensitive to our situation:    APPLE's response

Suggested posts