Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

HUGE privacy issue

Solved!

HUGE privacy issue

So after paying for premium and happily enjoying Spotify and all it's features for the past few years, the new privacy policy Spotify is FORCING me to agree to is outrageous!.

Firstly giving me an ultimatium of accepting or cancelling/being billed but not being allowed to use the service is blackmailing at it's finest. "You let us have access to what we want (see below) and we'll still take your money and your information.

3.3 Information Stored on Your Mobile Device

With your permission, we may collect information stored on your mobile device, such as contacts, photos, or media files. Local law may require that you seek the consent of your contacts to provide their personal information to Spotify, which may use that information for the purposes specified in this Privacy Policy.

3.4 Location and sensor information

Depending on the type of device that you use to interact with the Service and your settings, we may also collect information about your location based on, for example, your phone’s GPS location or other forms of locating mobile devices (e.g., Bluetooth). We may also collect sensor data (e.g., data about the speed of your movements, such as whether you are running, walking, or in transit.)

Can someone explain to me why Spotify needs access to MY private contacts/photos/media files stored on MY mobile? 

And why do you need to know where I am or if I'm driving/walking? What benefit does that have to a MUSIC service?

Please respond Spotify as I do not want to leave, but may be forced to by these outrages terms.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

Please take a look at this Spotify news blog, CEO Daniel Ek explains why Spotify likes to have some permissions.

"Photos: We will never access your photos without explicit permission and we will never scan or import your photo library or camera roll. If you give us permission to access photos, we will only use or access images that you specifically choose to share. Those photos would only be used in ways you choose and control – to create personalized cover art for a playlist or to change your profile image, for example.

Location: We will never gather or use the location of your mobile device without your explicit permission. We would use it to help personalize recommendations or to keep you up to date about music trending in your area. And if you choose to share location information but later change your mind, you will always have the ability to stop sharing.

Contacts: We will never scan or import your contacts without your permission. Spotify is a social platform and many people like to share playlists and music they discover with their friends. In the future, we may want to give you the ability to find your friends on Spotify by searching for Spotify users in your contacts if you choose to do that."

Source: https://news.spotify.com/us/2015/08/21/sorry-2/

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

Please take a look at this Spotify news blog, CEO Daniel Ek explains why Spotify likes to have some permissions.

"Photos: We will never access your photos without explicit permission and we will never scan or import your photo library or camera roll. If you give us permission to access photos, we will only use or access images that you specifically choose to share. Those photos would only be used in ways you choose and control – to create personalized cover art for a playlist or to change your profile image, for example.

Location: We will never gather or use the location of your mobile device without your explicit permission. We would use it to help personalize recommendations or to keep you up to date about music trending in your area. And if you choose to share location information but later change your mind, you will always have the ability to stop sharing.

Contacts: We will never scan or import your contacts without your permission. Spotify is a social platform and many people like to share playlists and music they discover with their friends. In the future, we may want to give you the ability to find your friends on Spotify by searching for Spotify users in your contacts if you choose to do that."

Source: https://news.spotify.com/us/2015/08/21/sorry-2/

Suggested posts