Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

If I cancel my spottily premium account do I lose all my music?

Solved!

If I cancel my spottily premium account do I lose all my music?

I am considering canceling my premium account but would like to know if I do that if I will lose all of the music that I had added to my playlist or downloaded to my phone?  Will I still be able to listen to all of them once my subscription is done?

Top Answer
Eni

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

If you cancel your subscription, you won't lose any of your saved content (playlists, Liked Songs, followed artists, followers, etc.). You'll only lose your downloads since this is a Premium feature. 

You can obtain more info about the differences between the free and the Premium service here

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Yes that is correct, as soon as your premium expires, you will not have access to any offline content you downloaded when you had premium, since offline playlists are a premium only feature. 

You can however stream those tracks from Spotify again if you are online. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey @rogercamps

You won't lose any playlists, friends, or your music library, as long as you keep using the same username you've been using. Those are independent from your subscription status.  

Hope it helps. 🙂
osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

88 Replies

Hello,

When you cancel your subscription, it is only the subscription you are cancelling. You keep your Spotify account and everything associated with it.

But will it let me listen to the songs that I downloaded while I was a premium member?

I don't believe it will because I tried the trial and when it was up I tried to play the music I downloaded and it said that feature is only available to premium members.

So the second you stop paying monthly, you don't have any music anymore.

Is this correct?

Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Yes that is correct, as soon as your premium expires, you will not have access to any offline content you downloaded when you had premium, since offline playlists are a premium only feature. 

You can however stream those tracks from Spotify again if you are online. 

Peter

Peter

so there is no way to export the music i have been listening to offline to a different device before i end my subscription? 

Hello!

Offline mode listening is a premium feature so if you cancel your premium subscription all your tracks that you downloaded for offline listening will be unavailable.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Check album availability here

No what a con we should be able to play our music once you cancel!!!

@Sbennett1976 - You can continue to listen to your playlists and access your account using the free service if you cancel Premium. As mentioned above, your account will loose access to all Premium features including offline playlists, but you can definitely still stream them. 🙂

Peter

Sbennett1976, I don't think you really understand for what you are paying. You are paying for access to Spotify's library of music. You have not bought any specific tracks or albums. Offline listening is just a perk of subscription, but you do not own this music. If you want to own music, you need to iTunes or other digital music dealer.

Finally they give you a straight answer!  I have read and read and read about all the fancy and different ways they used before telling us the true, which it is OK, don't take me wrong, every body needs to make a living and I am all forth this model of listening to music. I was just tired of no hearing an honest answer.

and if you susbcribe again, you retrieve the list of previously offline songs ? or the list has to be built again ?

god darn, that is lame

TO ALL THE PEOPLE COMPLAINING OR ASKING ABOUT WHY YOU CANT KEEP MUSIC AFTER YOU CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION:

What is WRONG with you??? Do you get to keep movies you watch on Netflix?? No...duh. Dont be stupid. Please. For the rest of us. 

Sincerely, 

The population of the world that has common sense

Yep use your brains indeed! Suss out your playlist and once you have what you want download it or buy it elsewhere and burn it to cd. Yours forever! Spotify is expensive for what it is!!

I totally agree! We put time into finding our playlists so just making it so we can't listen to them when we aren't online is so unfair.

Facebook is a free service that has a valuation over 100Billion USD.  Asking if you pay for something is different than asking if you provide value to something.  Every community member makes an impact on services that use ads, etc.  So don't be mad at the youth for taking advantage of a market you're completely unadapted to.  You should be pointing your fingers at the people giving out the so-called handouts, when really they're just concocting another clever way of crowd sourcing free marketing.  

Is this true for spotify on mobile devices?

YES

help i want spotify to stop taking money from my itunes account every time it runs out i would like to do that myself. I had just bought a gift card yesterday and i was gonna wait to buy the premuim but i noticed that it had already took my money from 18$ and it was only supposed to take $12.99 but now i only have 4$ can i get my money back and make it stop taking it out of my account

This is what I like about Spotify over other services.
If I want to listen to music offline using Google play music I have to buy every track or album I want to listen to offline, which is going to be very expensive.

Suggested posts