Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium account not linked to facebook

Premium account not linked to facebook

Apparently I have two accounts. One is the free version, which is connected to facebook.

My premium account, which is the only one I use, which has all my playlists and correct information, is not linked to facebook.

The goal is to have my premium account linked to facebook, the free account can be deleted for all I care.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to 1)decouple the free account 2)connect the account which I actually use, or 3) delete my free account.

When I try to connect my premium account it will not let me (error).  When I try to log in to the app to decouple my free account from facebook it errors out.

Incredibly frustrated with the poor user interface(s), errors abound (error code 2 when trying to log into app), no good help out there.  Seems to be a lot of issues surrounding this on the forum.

Any advice appreciated.

11 Replies

Hey @MetalFingers! The only way to close your free account is by going to the support team. Choose the category Accounts then Close Account Permanently - https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/

Was my answer helpful? Don't forget to give it a Kudos or Accept it as Solution 😉
Just keep swimming!

© to the owner of the photo 🙂

@MetalFingers @anjieeeeeeeeee 

Hiya,

That's the problem with making an account through Facebook there is no possible way to decouple it. So the best way to get around it is what @anjieeeeeeeeee said and contact support and if you get an automatic response try again and you should get a real person. 

@MetalFingers

Login to your Free account in the Desktop app.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Social Network > Disconnect from Facebook

This will effectively disconnect your fb from that account. You should write down your username, which is a random number, in case you need access to it again.

Wait a day or two, and you'll be able to link it to your Premium account using the Desktop app.

I advice you to change your email address, in your profile page, in the Premium account to a different one from the one you use for facebook (past or present). You'll thank me later. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

So, I've tried that but can't log in to the desktop app because of errors.  "Service is temporarily unavailible, please try again later. (Error Code 2)".  I've waited all day.

"I advice you to change your email address, in your profile page, in the Premium account to a different one from the one you use for facebook (past or present). You'll thank me later. :)"

Why do you advise this?  To avoid hassle with a system that is poorly deployed?

Seems so simple yet it is not.  How can this be so difficult?

@MetalFingers

Exactly. 🙂

Facebook's login system is terrible, and it uses your email address, so having it in your Spotify profile gives all kinds of problems.

Try logging in to your Free account using your fb email adddress as username and fb password directly, without using fb's login system. Hopefully it will let you in that way.

osorniosSpotify Star

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try when I get to my desktop again.

Yeah, went into my facebook settings and found my "facebook email address".

Tried that address, got the same silly error "Service temporarily unavailable, please try again later. Error code: 2)

@MetalFingers

That totally sucks. Another way to login is using your username, which is a random number you can find in your Spotify profile, but maybe it's too much hassle.

At this point, it should be better to contact customer support and ask them to kill that account for good.

You can use  this link:

https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support/

They'll help you out. They take, at the most, 24 hrs to get back to you.

Don't forget to check your spam folder for responses as they may end up there.

If you get an automated email directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from a no-reply address) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you.

osorniosSpotify Star

Hey no problem -- thanks again for your comments and help

I'd be curious to know where that random number is, and if it can be accessed using the web player account display because this is all I can seemingly log into with my free acount.

It's not this, is it?:

To use Spotify on your devices, you need to set a separate password and log in with the username provided.

Your device username is: 121580XXXXXXX

Lastly, to your point, I've already begun a string with spotify support -- hopefully the help will get me straightened out.

Thanks again.

@MetalFingers

To find out your username you need to go to your profile:

https://play.spotify.com/user

Right click your name, and you'll see the option 'Copy Spotify URL'.

Click it and paste the results somewhere. You'll get something like this:

https://play.spotify.com/user/xXxXXxxX

That random number at the end is your username, which can be used to login.

osorniosSpotify Star

Thanks.  I've found 2 things.

1) that username does in fact match the same number as the device user name (ound in the "set device password" section of the web player account settings.

2) still getting an error with that as the user name on the desktop app.

I may try to reset the password via that link to just exhaust every last attempt.

Can't say we didn't try.  Thanks again for your help!

Suggested posts