Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Someone has created a Spotify account using my email address...Help please?

Someone has created a Spotify account using my email address...Help please?

Hi there

I have had someone create a Spotify account by using my email address - Not a clue how they've managed to do this as surely there would be some form of email verification? (it's been a while since I signed up and as I use Facebook log in it was never a thought of mine) - ALSO, the email address linked to my own account is a completely separate one

I have emailed Spotify support and was informed my problem would be solved but that is the complete opposite. I received an email today with my latest recommendations...

Please, there must be a way to shut this false account down - It has literally nothing to do with me at all. Any help will be greatly appreciated 

15 Replies

Hi there,

Welcome at the Spotify Community! 

Isn't it just the mail address Facebook uses for your account?

When contacting Spotify,  did you reply to the automatic confirmation e-mail?

Otherwise, you may get in touch with Spotify via their Twitter page (@SpotifyCares), or by following this link to send an e-mail.
If you send an e-mail, please check your inbox (and spam box) to check for their automatic reply. Once you get it, please reply to it immediatly (even if it's from an no-reply e-mail addres) to make sure an Spotify employee will get back to you as soon as possible.

You can stop the emails yourself (and no, Spotify don't verify email addresses on account creation). 

Since you own the email account, just request a password reset then log into the account and disable all of the email options. 

To get a password reset:
1. Go to https://www.spotify.com/password-reset/
2. If you get redirected to your online profile (where you need to current password to make the change), you are still logged into the website. Click on your name at the top and choose Log Out.
3. Return to https://www.spotify.com/password-reset/ and you should be able to request a reset.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi guys

Many thanks for the responses

My concern would be that whoever this person is would still be able to use Spotify by using my email address so, would there be no way to shut that particular account down? I will disable the emails as a last resort but I wouldn't particularly like to leave that one running 

I do remember having some emails from a couple of strangers in the past, thinking they were emailing their son (they took the email address down wrong) so it could even be something as simple as that. I just would prefer the account to be non-existant if at all possible

As I said, I have emailed Spotify support about it and I was told the problem had been solved but...obviously not, unfortunately

Stick at it with support, they are the only ones who can close an account I'm afraid.

Peter

I have the same problem, but I don't even have a spotify account of my own. Suddenly I got play list emails for a service I didn't even sign up for. I reset the password, logged in and looked for a close account option, but didn't find one. Then I used the contact form several times to ask for an account deletion. That didn't help either. Then I had to fill out the profil with fake details to at least be able to unsubscribe from getting emails, but honestly what kind of service does not validate emails at sign up? I hope someone reads this and deletes the account, but from what I can tell, no one seems to bother.

Hi there,

Welcome at the Spotify Community!

I'm sorry to hear you also have issues with account deletion. Why someone used your e-mail address, I don't know.

But we can't help you as we aren't official Spotify staff.

Only the Spotify consumer team can delete accounts etc.

Have you replied to the automatic reply which you got? If not, I would recommend you to do that, otherwise it might be ignored.

As mentioned above, reply to one of the automated emails and that will ensure it gets through to someone who can remove the account for you (although they will probably need to verify a few details first).

Peter

some idiot has created a spotify account using my hotmail email.

God knows how? 

i dont want a spotify account and i want it deleted IMMEDIATLY!!!!!!!!!

Please help me, this is an invasion of my privacy!

When I try to create account spotify was telling me that my mail was already in use, i reset the password change the account details (from somebody from Philippines),

know I'm stuck with other guy username and I'm not feel secure enough using the service, let alone connecting my credit card.

Why just spotify don't ask for email confirmation???

I couldn't even post this massage without mail confirmation for this forum but spotify don't ask for mail confirmation for the main account??

Today I receive mail that somebody from Pakistan logged with my account!!

Spotify is great app but security issues are huge.

Hey there @maki3,

Thanks for bringing your concerns to the Community.

The security of your account and your personal information is very important for us at Spotify and our security teams are ever vigilant to keep them safe for you.

That's why we're now sending these emails, so you can check any irregularities on your account and take action if you notice anything unusual. To make sure your account is protected, we'd recommend following the steps in the email or here.

However, if you're unsure whether the email you received is legit, we suggest you instead follow the steps here.

Let us know how you get on and feel free to give us a shout if you have any further questions regarding any of the above.

We hope you continue enjoying Spotify!

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I like many users am constantly and repeatedly having my account hacked. Spotify do not seem to care and it is obvious that their systems are weak and do NOT comply with data protection laws. I therefore please ask all users affected to log a complaint with the ICO - see website ico.org.uk. If enough of us complain the government will hopefully take action, and force Spotify to improve and obey the law, and protect our data.

Woke up this morning to a 'Confirm your account' email sent to one of my email addresses.
I have a spotify account, but it's on a different one to the email the confirmation message was sent

Contacted support but I'm not holding my breath, I would like the compromised account to be deleted ASAP

Dear sirs. How can I contact Spotify support directly regarding this same subject?

As Spotify can probably confirm, somebody was using my email addres, I don't know how it could overcome Spotify policies.
I'm a user of Youtube Premium, but after some subpar experience with my car, I'm willing to try Spotify, but surprise! somebody, an italian person, appeared as the owner of the account.

As she didn't even try to contact me. After a few days, I deleted her stuff and took total control of the account. The problem is that Spotify won't give me the trial chance now.

I had to waste my time aning her libraries and likes.
However, I can't only do a free trial for the Spotify Premium, to see if it will work better than Youtube with my car while driving. Besides, it's not pretty to give credit card info auntil some direct reassurance from Spotify support, don't you think?

Thanks in advance for any help.

This is still a problem. Someone used one of my email addresses to create an account. I did a password reset and am deleting the account info myself. If they are a real person, they can figure out how to make a new account with their own email address.

Suggested posts