Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Privacy Issues - why do you need access to my photos?

Spotify Privacy Issues - why do you need access to my photos?

Hey guys - care to comment on this Forbes article?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/08/20/spotify-creepy-privacy-policy/

Why do you need access to:

"we may collect information stored on your mobile device, such as contacts, photos, or media files"

And:

"your phone’s GPS location"

I assume this is for more advertising revenue? Can't you just do the music side better rather than selling everyone out? Why do you need access to my entire life (which I'd rather not share - or at least have the choice to share)?

EDIT (for people starting at the top): Spotify CEO Daniel Ek has commented on this here - https://news.spotify.com/us/2015/08/21/sorry-2/

167 Replies

Already have one big brother, don't need a second; get your ToS under control and I might one day come back.

Agreed - if the details pulled out in the Gizmodo article are even 50% correct, I'm gone.

http://gizmodo.com/wow-spotifys-new-privacy-policy-is-atrocious-1725495810

Fix this Spotify. 

Same here. Canceling Premium account.
And making sure people get to know about this.
You make a good service and then go and use your system to steal people's data.

Sooner or later your company is going to pay the price for those decisions since people are beginning to realize the extent of what you're doing.

So you need to bulk collect private pictures that your users have on their phones to enhance their Spotify experience?

Really?

And share lots and lots of private information with third parties that we don't know who they are and for what specific purpose you're sharing other than the "improving of our experience".

Also you need to collect our contacts because sure, that's got a lot to do with a better experience on Spotify and it's up to us, users to inform all of our contacts that a certain music streaming company from a foreign country is gathering their information but fear they not: it's only to improve this company users experience.

It's been definitely not a pleasure and I hope you learn some manners, Spotify!

So young and so petulant, thinking you can own the world. Nah 🙂 We can listen to music whenever, wherever, as we always did and it's not going to be your ass invading service that's going to change anything.

Wow. This is totally not what I expected from you, Spotify.  I work in software development, and your IT practices are loved around the world.  They're open, inclusive, and honest.  And then you make this change to your privacy policy, which is everything but.

What does my contacts, photos or GPS location have to do with listening to music?  I don't want you to have access to that information, and I have no way of preventing you from doing so on Android.

I subscribed a long long time ago, first in the UK, then in New Zealand.  Just unsubscribed.  Find your roots again, and I'll come back.  So disappointed.

I will, hands down, be cancelling my subscription of over 4 years if at any time Spotify does the following:

1. Asks for permissions on my phone for stuff it doesn't need (photos? contacts? NO)

2. Forces a facebook login (they almost tried that, I don't, won't, and haven't used facebook. think of me what you will).

3. Shares my information with someone without asking.

At this current time, Spotify on Android doesn't have the necessary permissions to view my contacts. Photos and other files is ambiguous as they require access to storage for offline playlists.....

Spotify, if you burn me, I will cancel immediately. Just because you can doesn't make it OK.

I've been a Spotify user from the beginning of your beta in the United States. As a DJ at a major Northeastern research university's radio station, I raved about your service to my fellow DJs and promoted it indirectly to thousands of listeners by sharing my Spotify playlists. You obviously have a wonderful product in your hands. But the new terms and conditions are an unacceptable overreach that turn your music service into spyware. There is no legitimate reason for you to need access for my phone contacts, period. And my photos? Location? You owe your users an explanation and an apology.

I *will* cancel my subscription if no reasonable response is forthcoming within 24 hours.

Dear all,

today I have heard in the radio that Spotify wants to track me via GPS, read / spy my private contacts and spy my personal photos and documents. I bought a voucher and I want to give it back – I will not accept Spotify under this conditions. How can I give the voucher back an get my money?

Best regards,

Alexander

I just uninstalled the app. You have a week to fix this or I'll cancel my Premium account. What on earth were you thinking?

Your talking about the new Privacy Policy they are enforcing and you are not presenting it very well. While I agree with you, you should tone this post down.

You can read more regarding this subject from http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/08/20/spotify-creepy-privacy-policy/ and http://uk.businessinsider.com/spotify-wants-to-search-through-your-photo-roll-and-access-your-sensor...

I would also want to know why Spotify subjects it's users to **bleep** like this?
I know you're in problems with Apple and Deezer, but wouldn't it be better to upgrade the user experience and not to degrage user trust?

I am now looking into other streaming services for my music needs and will be quitting Spotify service. If you recant the new Privacy Policy I will re-think staying, but for now I'm done.

:: Carpe Jugulum! ::

Don't forget to vote in a proper way in the google play store for the app!

Another very dissatisfied customer, I'll also be cancelling my premium subscription and will look into other services.
Paying customer since 2009-01-13.

Another very dissatisfied customer, I'll also be cancelling my premium subscription and will look into other services. Paying customer since 2009-01-13.

PS. The piece is about Privacy Policy, not TOS (Terms of Service), but anyway & same difference.

Accidental double post.

This privacy policy is a big no-go.

I'll have to look for another streaming service...

Just uninstalled the App from my phone, signing up for a trial of an alternative service, possible Deezer. If this policy is still in force when the trial ends I'm closing my spotify spyware account.

Right, 30 days of Deezer premium then I'm gone from Spy Central

I just removed the spotify app, too.

and so... one Premium User more gone.

Big No Go! Such Treatment for paying User... forget it!

Subscription canceled. Thanks for all the years, Spotify.

This is completely unacceptable. Why does a MUSIC PLAYER have to have access to my pictures and contacts to "Tailor personal experience"?!

It's just a very large collection of BULL**bleep**.

Way to go to get rid of your users. Severely disappointed!

just deleted the mobile app. will cancel premium soon if this persists. decent apps give you the free choice of which data you would like to share, in an opt-in fashion, and explain what exactly they use the data for. pretty disappointed.

Suggested posts