Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify thinks I'm abroad, when I'm not

Solved!

Spotify thinks I'm abroad, when I'm not

I used spotify in the US, then studied abroad in Australia for 5 months. I couldn't use it there, but halfway through Australia got spotify. I had to change my country to use spotify there. Now that I'm back in the US, I had to change my country again. But now spotify says "Your account can no longer be used from abroad, since the maximum travel time is 14 days for a Spotify Free account. To continue using Spotify from abroad, sign up for Spotify Premium which gives you unlimited travel access." But I'm not longer abroad, and would like to go back to using Spotify Free.

419 Replies

On your online profile does it give you the option to change your country to Ireland but it just won't save? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Correct it has both the uk and Ireland listed, when I select Ireland i then save. When the screen refreshes it still appears as UK. Other people in work also use spotify and there is no issue with their accounts. 

@Dittit wrote:

Correct it has both the uk and Ireland listed, when I select Ireland i then save. When the screen refreshes it still appears as UK. Other people in work also use spotify and there is no issue with their accounts. 

Is it possible to try a different browser? 

The fact it is letting you select Ireland means the system has identified you are in Ireland, but the page isnt saving for some reason.

Peter

Peter

Tried it in chrome IE9 and FF. None of these letting me save. I've also closed and rebooted my machine.

@Dittit - your account is currently set to Ireland so there's no issue there. Do you only use Spotify at work or do you use Spotify on other networks in Ireland, e.g. at home? It'd be interesting to know if other networks have the same problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Only use it at work. I have five other collegues that all use spotify and their account looks identical to mine in the profile settings. I did download an app last night before I left unless that has something to do with it. I've just uninstalled and reinstalled the application on desktop. Now I cant even log in. Error message as follows " Your country does not match the one set in your profile. To continue use, update your profile or upgrade.............." 

I've actually just accepted UK as my country and its now working. Strange but i have it working!

same problem here

Is your country set correctly on your online profile @plocbarty ?

Peter

Having an issue with Spotify. It thinks I'm abroad but I'm not. I was in Germany for over a year, and after 14 days, it shut down. I accepted that and moved on. Now I'm back in the states, my IP address shows up as Los Angeles, CA (I checked off the link you provided someone else) my Profile shows that I'm in the US, that country is selected, yet when I tried to log in via Facebook (which also has me set to being in the United States) it takes me to the website and tells me that I can no longer use the account abroad and that I must upgrade. 

What else can I do to troubleshoot for you?

Thanks,

Keo

Hi,

I seem to be having the same problem with my spotify account.

It keeps saying  no longer be used from abroad, since the maximum travel time is 14 day. I've not travelled neither am I outside of Malaysia. My profile has been updated and according to my FB profile as I've connected it to my FB account.

Help please?

If you go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ what country does it show and what country appears in your account profile?

@Rocio wrote:

No probs,

I am going to PM you and ask you for some private info, then I will change the country for you.

Cheers, 

Spotify thinks I am abroad when I am, in fact. Well, so what? I started the account here in Tanzania, using PayPal and as a new user was pleased with it and had no problems receiving music. Now it tells me I cannot have the service. (Took my money okay, though!) Why has the service stopped? ANd why if it is an issue, did it not make that clear before I paid for my subscription. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it was the nearest I could see to my problem.

How long have you been using Spotify for?

Peter

Hi Peter

About 2 weeks since set up. It worked fine. Now it keeps me in off-line mode.

Have you definitely been billed? If so, get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form and they will be able to assist you further with this. It sounds like you are logging into a free account which would only allow you to use Spotify "abroad" for 14 days since to my knowledge Spotify is not yet actually available there.

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Peter

Sounds very helpful. I'll check it out. Thanks.....

Just checked my bank on-line and 18th Dec shows £4.99 went to Spotify....

Hi Peter,

I sent off the form as you suggested but so far no reply...

Did you reply to the automated email?

Peter

Suggested posts