Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify thinks I'm in the wrong country. Can't change country

Solved!

Spotify thinks I'm in the wrong country. Can't change country

I can't get spotify to go online because it thinks I'm in the wrong country. My profile says, that I'm from the USA, but I never made that setting. I'm from germany and have a german IP. I can't change my country in my profile on my own, because its greyed out. Please change the country to germany. My Accountname is fernetbranco

Thank you.

176 Replies

Hi there!

For some reason I am unable to change the country location for my account.  I originally signed up in UK but now live in Switzerland.  My last credit card (UK) has been closed down and I wanted to enter in my new Swiss credit card, but without the ability to change my country, I am unable to do so.  Whenever I try to change the country from United Kingdom to Switzerland on either the main account page or the payment page, I get an error message stating that an account with my email address already exists.  Please can you change the country setting to Switzerland?  I'd much rather keep my account associated with my email address and not create a new account.

Thanks!

@DrRedwood - That error message means you have a duplicate account in the Spotify system which annoyingly prevents any changes to your profile from being saved. If you could get in touch with the support team directly using the online contact form they will be able to get the extra account removed for you so you can then change countries. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hey Peter!

I greatly appreciate your fast response.  I just submitted a ticket through to customer service support.  It's certainly strange that the system detects or perceives that there is a duplicate account in the system, since, I only signed up once and secondly, I would have thought that Spotify would have prevented a secondary account signup using an email address previously registered.  Certainly bizarre. 

Regardless, I will await to hear back from the support team and thanks again for your help! 🙂

It normally happens if you have a Spotify username style account, but your Facebook (which you might not even realize has a Spotify account tied to it) also uses the same email address.

Peter

Oh I see... will there be any potential jeopardization to my playlists in resolving this issue?  I have I think about 80+, many of which I've spent hours crafting.  I hope the one deleted doesn't take my playlists to the void. 

Thanks again! 🙂

Nah the Spotify team won't let that happen. 😉

Peter

Okay good to hear haha! :))  I think it would be a dark night of the soul moment to witness hours and hours of effort vanish! 

Is it common for Spotify support to take days to respond to customer service requests?  Thus far I've submitted two tickets/emails on Monday and have yet to receive a response.   I'm just wondering whether due to my account being duplicated, they are having problems contacting me?  And yes I've checked spam folders etc just in case. 

If you haven't even received an automated response, could you use this form instead. You can specify your email address which should ensure you receive the reply. If you haven't heard anything within 24 hours, please shout and I'll try to chase your case up for you.

If you did receive automated replies, could you post the case numbers from those?

Hi, I have the same progblem. In my profile the country is USA, but I am using Spotify only from Germany and I cant change the country. A few days ago Spotify stopped working and says I should change the country. But I cant. I also reconnected my router to get another IP, but I still cant change the country. I tested setting up a new account, but there it also says USA... Please help... Thanks

Hey Joe!

Thanks for your response.  I didn't even get automated replies from them for some reason.  I thoroughly checked SPAM folder etc. but to no avail.  So, very odd.  I did use the form link you provided in your message yesterday and sent another detailed message with my email address within.  It said message was sent successfully, but I have yet to receive an automated response from that one aswell.. My email account is working fine for all other correspondence (it's a gmail one), so no idea what's going on.. (I'm not using a proxy or VPN or anything like that).. 

Regardless, I'll keep you informed as to whether I hear from them within the next 24 hours... 🙂 

Thanks again!

@moglibert - Does http://whatismyipaddress.com/ locate your IP address to inside the USA? 

@DrRedwood - Definitely sounds strange. If you don't hear anything back at all within 48 hours give us a shout here and we can escalate this further for you. 

Peter

Thanks Peter!  I appreciate it. 

The ads are driving me crazy... haha.. really got used to the lack of ads. 

Either way, I'll keep you posted.

Hi Peter, thanks for your reply. http://whatismyipaddress.com/ locates my IP correct: Country: Germany. The Spotify player seems to locate the IP also correct as it stopped working and says I need to change the country in my profile.

@moglibert - On your online profile will it let you select the correct country in the drop down at all? Or are you getting an error when you try and save the changes? 

Peter

Hi peter, I cant select anything in the drop down, it is diasbled. And it only shows USA.

In that case you will need some help from the Spotify team I'm afraid. If you could get in touch with the customer services team directly using the online contact form they should be able to get it swapped over manually for you. 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and one of the customer services agents will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, if you prefer support via Twitter, please tweet @SpotifyCares.

Peter

Hi Peter et al!

Unfortunately I've still not heard anything from Spotify (despite sending a fourth message via. VPNing to UK (just in case Spotify had some spam/messaging filter that didn't allow from another country other than the one listed in profile -- which I'd be very surprised about of course and unlikely, but since three failed...)) for over eight days now.  I cannot lament at Spotify's customer service yet however, since, at this junction it appears they aren't even receiving my messages for some reason.  My girlfriend watched me send the fourth one and we got the usual success message, but not auto-response emails.  I've checked my spam folders and all folders, just in case.  Searching my gmail Inbox (in:all) for spotify emails only presents the updates I get when someone updates their playlists (which I'm still getting), so this whole thing is a definite mystery.  I'm not too frustrated at this stage, since it seems Spotify either cannot respond or are not receiving my customer service requests (sent using the two different forms presented within this thread) due to the issue my account has I presume? 

Either way, I'd be grateful if you Peter or someone else could help look into this.  I don't have any case ticket numbers etc, since I've not had one response back (automated or otherwise), so right now, don't know where to begin.  All I want to do is update my account profile to Switzerland (unable to do so due to duplicate email account error) and pay Spotify and get on with my life again... Help...

I will get this escalated for you now.

Peter

@DrRedwood Your case has come through. You should hear back shortly.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Suggested posts