Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Student Discount charged me, didn't verify my info.

Solved!

Student Discount charged me, didn't verify my info.

I went to renew my premium subscription to get the Student discount, and I entered my card and sent in the verification documents. The documents were rejected (I don't know why) and my discount never got verified. Spotify charged me 5.00$ on my credit card statement still, but I don't have premium. I have gotten no email receipt for the charge, and my account shows no record of it. I would just like the charge to be canceled or for my account to be verified. This is frustrating.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the delayed response, and thanks for your posts.

First off, to activate the Student Discount plan, you must be in the following countries:

• UK must sign up via UniDays or NUS.

• Germany must sign up using UniDays.

• US must attend an accredited college / university and be approved by SheerID. SheerID is the verification service we use to verify student eligibility.

For US students, you must be actively in term at your college / university to be eligible to apply the discount. If you try to sign up during the holidays, or before your term begins, you are likely to be declined.

If we’re unable to verify your student I.D, then unfortunately you won’t be eligible to claim the Student Discount. In this instance, any charges will show on your statement as ‘pending’ or 'processing.' This means, your bank has put a temporary authorization on the funds, but no money has actually been taken. Once the bank confirms your student I.D failed to verify successfully, the money will reappear on your statement. This can take up to 48 hours, depending on your bank.

If you’re still having trouble getting signed up, you can submit for manual verification here. Our good friends at SheerID are happy to help you out, too 🙂 

You can reach them in their website, tweet them or email them at support@sheerid.com.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

43 Replies

I have the same problem and may I add that receiving help on here is very difficult since I can't find any help hotline. I also had a previous account canceled last year, or so I thought. The account kept getting charged $9.99 per month and I was not even using it anymore. This is incredibly frustrating.

I was charged fit a student and a regular account

Hello!
You need to contact Spotify support:
https://support.spotify.com/contact-spotify-support/
Select these options: Subscription -> I paid for Premium but my account is still on Free -> I still need help
If they will reply with a no-reply email, reply to it, even though it is a no-reply.
Tell me if it worked, please 😉 Have a great day!

it hasn't worked because it happened to me too I got no receipt for it and it still charged my account I want my money back

Hey,

This is something the Accounts team can help you with. They are super nice and friendly and can look after for you. You can get in touch with them through the online form or if you have a Twitter account, feel free to tweet @SpotifyCares at anytime 🙂

Thanks!

YOU GUYS KEEP SENSING EVERYONE IN A LOOP TO THE STUPID COMMUNITY PAGE AND
TO KEEP SENDING QUESTIONS JUST FIX THE FREAKIN PROBLEM

Hi @miriam_mora1981

Im so sorry for the inconvenient has caused you. I dont have access to your payment records, so I would recommend contacting the Accounts team as they can take a look in to this, and enligten you on what's going on.

If you receive an automated reply directing you to Spotify Community, please can you reply to that email and an advisor will be with you shortly. 

I haven't gotten any email this is bull**bleep** I want my money back

OK so I don't feel so bad I went to sign up for a student account i put my Card information I was charged immediately and it failed to verify me as a student what the **bleep**

Anyone get any help yet? I have the same problem. So frustrating!

I've contacted customer support on Twitter and they have responded and it's been almost 12 hours! Either make me premium or give me back my money!!!!

Did you ever get it? I'm having the same problem?
Marked as solution

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the delayed response, and thanks for your posts.

First off, to activate the Student Discount plan, you must be in the following countries:

• UK must sign up via UniDays or NUS.

• Germany must sign up using UniDays.

• US must attend an accredited college / university and be approved by SheerID. SheerID is the verification service we use to verify student eligibility.

For US students, you must be actively in term at your college / university to be eligible to apply the discount. If you try to sign up during the holidays, or before your term begins, you are likely to be declined.

If we’re unable to verify your student I.D, then unfortunately you won’t be eligible to claim the Student Discount. In this instance, any charges will show on your statement as ‘pending’ or 'processing.' This means, your bank has put a temporary authorization on the funds, but no money has actually been taken. Once the bank confirms your student I.D failed to verify successfully, the money will reappear on your statement. This can take up to 48 hours, depending on your bank.

If you’re still having trouble getting signed up, you can submit for manual verification here. Our good friends at SheerID are happy to help you out, too 🙂 

You can reach them in their website, tweet them or email them at support@sheerid.com.

Thanks!

So why were we charged $5 then asked to pay more after we were verified....?

Hello jaidagreen,

Thanks for your question.

Have you received an email from SheerID confirming your student eligibility?

Also, how does the charge appear in your bank statement?

Speak to you soon!

IMG_-8amhif.jpg
IMG_-myi0ol.jpg

I was charged without being verified and then I found out I am eligible but I am still on free. My bank says it is processing.

I wanted to get spotify premium, I understand that the first 30 days are free. I went on and I was applying for the student discount, which wasn't validated right away, so i submitted it 3x and still no success.... But I looked at my bank account and even though 1. I wasn't validated 2. I didn't have spotify premium. And 3. I was technically supposed to have the 30 day free trial and have a chance to cancel before they charged if I didn't like it. I was charged 3x and I don't even have spotify premium and I had to manually submit my student form to get validation... Now it's telling me to submit my card number again and do the whole process AGAIN... But I don't want to because I've been charged 3x .... So if I do it again I'll be charged 4x and I don't even want to be charged yet. I want my money back this is bull.

I have been verified but I have been previously charged 3x. I don't want to go through the process again because I will be charged again.... I wasn't supposed to be charged yet anyway, so what's going on?

Suggested posts