Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to add members to spotify Family

Solved!

Unable to add members to spotify Family

Hi,

I recently added my girlfriend to my spotify family and it went fine. But now I would like to add my uncle. 

But when I go to the "manage my family" page, Tthere is no button or whatever to add a new member? What do I do?

Im using a Mac running Yosemite and the latest version of Safari. 

I've added a screenshot of the page.

Thanks

92 Replies

This is a double strike against Spotify. 

Spotify was rumored to offer Family plans back in March 2012:

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/13/spotify-family-subscriptions/

Family Plans became available in Nov 2014, more than two years later.

Pricing was (at the time) better than mulitple separate Premium plans, but higher than I expected it to be. 

With Apple Music announcing six family members for the same price as two users on Spotify, cost is suddenly an issue again.

However, to me, the idea that the subscription system is so convoluted that I have to cancel my account to add/remove users feels like a deal-breaker now. Given the expanse of time between the rumored launch and implementation of Family Plans, I struggle to imagine that Spotify could hope this very customer-unfriendly system was well-planned. 

If I have to cancel my account to add a Family member, why not just cancel it and leave Spotify. It certainly gives me pause.

For the moment, I will follow the cancel-subscription/subscribe-again/re-invite-everyone/family-meeting-to-explain-why-spotify-is-lame method because I enjoy Spotify's core service, but I can guarantee I will not do this again if the time comes to make a choice between Apple Music and Spotify. Essentially I expect (nay, predict) that Spotify will fix this issue less than 90 days after Apple Music launches (Apple is giving away a 90-day free trial). 

I agree completely, it would be worth looking into the Apple's solulion.

Besides this highly user-unfriendly Family subscription, Spotify's user interface and support is not the most user-friendly.

is anyone using the Apple Family plan?, is it better than the Spotify one?

I'm trying to add to one of my brothers to my current Spoty family plan but reading this seems like stupiditly impossible without cancel and upgrade my plan.

It's as bad as Spotify's.... you have to be an ingeneer or something like that to make it works

I let me Spotify lapse and signed up for a Apple Music trial.  You know, I don't regret a thing!  It all works great.

I'm going to cancel my spotify suscription and try out the apples

Seriously Spotify....FIX THIS PROBLEM.  How many thousands of people are going to have to complain about this before you will do something about it?  I am currently in the free trial period for Apple Music and Amazon Prime.  If this doesn't get fixed, I am going to cancel my subscription for good.

As everyone in this topic, I wonder how many time is needed to implement something that it's core business... 

I'm not adding any more members until you guys make this easier to do. It's really ridiculous. Why don't you invest a bit of time to developing the account management part of the platform. This is ridiculous. I've had to cancel twice to previously add family members, I'm not going through the hastle anymore. They can remian non-paying members with the free acount.

**bleep**ING FIX IT!

I was going to add my other daughter to the account, but seeing how difficult it is, I think I'll just keep what I have.

That is completely absurd!!  Spotify you really need to upgrade your interface.  The fact that I cant add another person on to my family plan without cancelling the one im on is ludacris and needs to be fixed immediately.  

Just a quick question for those of you who actually unsubscribed and re-subscribed... During the transition period, did you lose your customer playlists and did you have to redownload all the offline sync-ed music?

Thank you. (I've just dropped Spotify the exact same question above - I will update this thread)

Nothing is lost.

Hi Midus,

To be fair, whilst the process is a bit convoluted, no data is lost and the subscription settings are smart enough that things "just carry on as normal" once you've re-subscribed.

In short, you shouldn't have a problem.

Adding this answer here myself as I've found Spotify to be somewhat unforthcoming on this topic in the past.

Good luck,

Alex

Will there be any data loss for my Sister or for myself if I cancel our current premium account and re-sign up?

add me to the list of dissappointed users.  I'm trying to add 2 kids to my plan, already have 2 members.  I can't believe there is no help anywhere on the website about how to do this.  Ths thread is over a year old.  I'm going to explore other streaming options, and quit spotify.  Maybe this thread could change directions.  Could people please start posting other streaming services they've been pleased with?  I was looking at Pandora, but it seems thats "radio" oriented, can't pick songs.  I don;t have Apple products.  What I know is, I'm done with Spotify.

Yes, it is amazing the facts that you point out; this thread is over a year old, and there is no help, anywhere on the Spotify support site. In fact when you go into you own account and go to "manage your family" plan you are easily lead to believe that you can add new members. There is nothing to tell you how to do things. In fact it's a terribly badly organized website. I am also interested in hearing about other streaming products with better user-friendliness than Spotify.

Couldn't agree more

This is absolute nonsense and marketing stupidity. If I could add more family then you'd be getting more money when the deal finishes. 

I posted my displeasure back in December 2014. I've now been asked to add another family member to my Spotify Family account and face the prospect of cancelling and re-starting the account. Nothing's been done in the last 13 months about this!

Why is it so hard? If it had been easier, you'd have been getting £5-£10 extra a month from my family.

Suggested posts