Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to use student discount

Unable to use student discount

I am still a student and have a valid student email address, but last month was charged $9.99 so I checked my account and it had removed my student discount and is now telling me I am not eligible for the discount. Help me I'm poor!

8 Replies

Hi lizzieg! One of the most common reasons for this occurance is there's been a change in your location, either in your profile settings as a free user, or in your payment information as a premium user. Could you make sure that all of your details are set to the same country for which your trying to get your student discount through (US/UK/DE)? 

If that's all squared away as it should be, then:

Has it been about a year since you first signed up for the student discount? 

Exactly what does it say when you try to re-apply for the discount?

Which country's discount are you applying for?

If you could let me know the answers to these, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I'm having the exact same problem and don't know what to do. I've had my student discount for over a year now and when I went to renew it, Spotify said I was not eligiable for it. I love Spotify but am not trying to pay $10 a month for it because I'm poor. 😞 

Kenziecray, exactly what error do you get when you try to renew? What does it say, specifically? Thanks!

It says, "It appears that you are not eligible for the discounted product that you are trying to purchase. If you'd like you can still upgrade to premium at any time." Then it shows what premium is and that its for $9.99 + tax a month which is what I got charged for this month for the first time since I had the student discount. 😕

I ended up getting in touch with Spotify support and after trying a few things, they told me to change my account to free and once the month of premium ended, I was able to retry getting the discount just through the link at the bottom of the homepage and it worked immediately. Hope that can help people in the future. 

When you switched to the free version did it delete all the music that you had downloaded / playlists you had made? But thank you that helps a lot!

@Kenziecray wrote:
When you switched to the free version did it delete all the music that you had downloaded / playlists you had made? But thank you that helps a lot!

Hey there @Kenziecray!

When your account reverts back to free, no data is lost. Although all downloaded tracks for offline use will need to be redownloaded once you switch back to Premium.

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

I didn't even have to re-download any of my songs/playlists because I
signed up for premium again the same day my premium from before ended.

Suggested posts