Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unlink Facebook

Solved!

Unlink Facebook

How do I unlink spotify from my facebook accout. I keep trying to delete my facebook page but everytime I log into spotify it reactivates it.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@daniel0_0937821 

I suggest you contact support so they can help you transfer all your stuff to a non-Facebook Spotify account that uses a username and password to login:

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/

If you get an automated reply email telling you to check the help section or the community, you need to reply back to it, even if it's from a no-reply address.

Support usually replies within 24-48 hours.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@mortphi

You can do it yourself. Check this tutorial:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Accounts-and-Subscriptions/Tutorial-How-to-Disconnect-Spotify-...

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

236 Replies

Spotify now requires an active Facebook account in order to log in, since that's how it now authenticates.

You can unlink the social sharing element of Spotify from FB, though:  Preferences > Social Network > Disconnect from Facebook.

That will prevent Spotify from posting to Facebook, or importing your FB friends, etc.  However you'll need to keep the FB account active in order to log in to Spotify: as you've seen, you'll run into problems with Spotify if you try to flat out delete your FB account.

THIS IS AN OLD THREAD! SPOTIFY NO LONGER REQUIRES A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT. If you signed up with a Facebook account, you can't unlink them so you have to make a new one and start over. Go to the sign up page to create a new account.

If you created a Spotify username and password when you signed up, log in using those and disconnect by going to Preferences and clicking 'Disconnect from Facebook'.

Old reply below.

Unlike what overfloater said, the "Disconnect from Facebook" button should not even appear to you, because you have registered after Facebook became a requirement.

To disable sharing on Facebook, you have to uncheck "Show what I listen to on Facebook", "Publish Top Tracks" and "Publish my playlists"

Does somebody know how can I change my facebook in my Spotify? What has now happened is that when I was using my boyfriends Spotify account, I accidentaly logged in on my facebook account thru his Spotify account. Now, on his Spotify, it shows my facebook account.

Now, when I want to set up my own Spotify account, it says that I can not, because my facebook already has one account! So how can I change my facebook off from my boyfriends Spotify account so that I could get my own Spotify?

Hey Kelmu, try this:
1. Disconnect your Spotify account from Facebook.
You can do this in your Spotify Preferences (Spotify » Preferences in Mac and Edit » Preferences in Windows)
2. Exit Spotify.
3. Log in to your Facebook account in your web browser.
4. Run Spotify again and reconnect to Facebook.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

I have two facebook accounts and a premium spotify accounts and want to sawp the facebook linking hoew do you do this?

Hi zitovito- As you joined via Facebook you'll need to create a new Spotify account for your new Facebook. 

What I recommend is cancelling your current subscription. Then once that ends you can regsiter again and resubscribe on your new account.

If you want to keep your playlists I recommend making them public. You can then search spotify:user:xxxxxxx with your current username to find them later. 

http://planet.falsifiable.net/2012/05/you-fail-us-spotify-open-letter.html

Beloved Spotify,

Immediately terminate my account's requirement for Facebook.

I will not be forced to use Facebook.

If you choose to resist or ignore my request, I will terminate my account; and I will encourage as many of your customers as I can reach to abandon you and, as is only natural, we will further direct other consumers elsewhere.

I would prefer to continue using your service; however, you need to re-evaluate your corporate ethics, or this phase of our our relationship is over. You've provided a wonderful service and product; however, Spotify's concept of my identity is not compatible with mine.

• I do not care if it is possible to "hide" our information from Facebook.
  • I do not care if Spotify provides some convoluted way to unlink our Facebook accounts: I'm mandating you to make it trivially easy for us to do.
  • I do not want an apology: We want your compliance.

This is not an answer.
Monopolistic Facebook Connect is not the only solution.
We all have OpenID's already.

This is how Grooveshark does it,

You have approximately 7 more days to commit to a resolution. In the meantime, I will be paying the artists that I listen to as directly as I can; and hoping Groovshark can improve their software's quality, while also waiting forGoogle Music to open here.

Good luck,
- Your [Previously] Faithful & Passionate Users

jenerallee wrote:

Immediately terminate my account's requirement for Facebook.

I will not be forced to use Facebook.

Hi jeneralle- I believe there's a bit of confusion here. As you joined Spotify before our integration with Facebook, your account doesn't require a Facebook connection. 

All you need to do is log in with your 'jenerallee' username and Spotify password. If you need to reset that account password in order to sign in, just head to this section of our website.

Of course users that joined after the intergration will still need active Facebooks to use Spotify. Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. 

It's possible that he simply does not like that you are forcing people on Facebook, even if it's not him but other people. You are preventing my family from joining Spotify right now, which will force me to leave Spotify if/when a competitor comes to Finland.

How about you disable this on default? Your aggressive sharing is a disgrace

Did they ever respond to you? I'm boycotting Spotify now that I have made this realization. 

Great that this only applies to people who made an account before the requirement of having a Facebook account.

What does this mean for the rest of us? I deactivated my FB account. Logged onto Spotify, only to receive an email thanking me for reactivating my Facebook! ABSURD! 

You make me sick Spotify and I will now boycott you. 

Dear Spotify -

I have been singing your praises to all my friends recently... that is until I tried to figure out how to unlink my Facebook account like all these other people.  Spotify is a great product, but forcing people to maintain and sign in with Facebook is a major faux pas in my mind.  While there are many advantages to having a Facebook account, it is really beginning to creep me out how much it is invading all aspects of my online experience.  Not only is Spotify alienating customers who voluntarily abstain from Facebook, you are forcefeeding it to the rest of us who are trying to "moderate" our Facebook consumption.  

I sincerely hope Spotify quickly does away with required Facebook log in, and at a MINIMUM can someone explain to me how to remove the scrolling "what your friends are listening to" feed on the bottom right. I find it very distracting, and frankly I don't need to know what my "friends" are listening to.

thanks.

Beautifully said!

Your facebook requirement is unacceptable.  The idea that in the future I may need to provide access to a FB account to rent an apartment, apply for a credit card, watch a movie, or buy a new car is disturbing to say the least.  If your ill conceived "innovation" is deemed successful, that is undoubtedly the direction we will be headed, so I will not reward this or contribute to it in any way.

Premium account canceled.

The more I think about this supid policy, the more it bothers me.  The only benefactors here are a few executives who surely got a fat bonus check over "the facebook deal", at the cost of your customer's privacy, your brand, your reputation, and your employees who have to bite their tongues and deal with the backlash.

This is anti-competitive, it's anti-consumer, it is pure greed and it states clearly what kind of values drive this company and how little respect you have for your customers, who you herd through the Facebook marketing machine like cattle.

Regardless of whether or not you ever come to your senses and abolish this policy, I will not be back now that I know what you think of me.  This is the future of music, we may not have many choices today but that will change very soon, and Spotify will have to figure out how to compete with services who value their customers and see them as more than an affiliate referral commission.

Honestly I couldn't care less that we are forced to use facebook. What really pisses me off though is that because I signed up after the fb requirement, I can't foking unlink my fake facebook account I created to signup and avoid sharing. Now that I've realized sharing was turned off by default, I want to use my real facebook account and go social with my music. Except I can't even switch FB accounts because this system is poorly designed.

I am a premium user who loves spotify but hates the account system

DO SOMETHING SUPPORT TEAM

Yeah I am about to delete my premium account as well. I don't think it is right that it is linked to facebook. I love spotify so much but this is ruining my experience in entirety. See ya.

I agree. I love my spotify account and love to use it on my phone.  I pay for Premium and am probably going to cancel next month if Spotify does not allow you to unlink the account with Facebook.  I have two phones, one is my personal line and the other is for business use, however I have my business phone with me when I am at work and I work in cellular so I am allowed to have apps on my phone. However, since it is a company device, I don't like having my Facebook connected with it since I like to keep that private.  So basically I am paying for a service I can only use on my days off and the communte to and from work????

Spotify, Facebook should be an option.  Subscribers should be able to make this choice and not have it forced upon us.  I understand that I don;t have to share what I listen to on Facebook, but I don't want to use Facebook as a login any longer because it means I can't get the most out of what I pay you each month. 

Expect this thread to multiply in the coming months with Premium users getting ready to cancel their subscriptions and go elsewhere.  Thsi was a very poor decision on your part.

Suggested posts