Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Visa Declined

Visa Declined

When attempting to renew my subscript I am getting the error: "Declined, please check or change payment details."

I am in the US.

It is a VISA.

I called my bank and I have no holds, and am cleared for e-commerce or foreign purchases.

They lady at my bank told me the reason it is being declined, is because although I'm attempting to pay for a 9.99 service, Spotify is attempting to charge my card $0.00. My bank auto-declines anything debited for under a dollar due to fraud concerns.

Therefore, how can I bypass this Spotify? Because I really do not wish to use a PayPal account and also why are you guys sending the $0.00 through before? It's not as if you need to test to see if it is an active card, that would be found out if the debit charge was declined for $9.99...

Thanks,

Ben

14 Replies

I have the same problem. Did you manage to resolve it without PayPal?

My card is declining as well... Has more than enough money. Bank says nothing wrong on their side. Why is spotify making debit/credit card transactions do hard?? What can be done to remedy???

@Kellyj2880 wrote:
My card is declining as well... Has more than enough money. Bank says nothing wrong on their side. Why is spotify making debit/credit card transactions do hard?? What can be done to remedy???

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Have a read at the support article for this error, it should help you out.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

This link does not solve the issue the fact remains that you can not verify 99% of debit and credit cards with a $0.00 transaction which then forces us to attempt to use Paypal which then is denied due to limits again for fraud protection most Paypal accounts limit how much can be charged per month to attempt to limit a fraudulent user to minimize the pain when they get ahold of someones account.  Spotify , time to get on the ball here and charge a $1 and credit it back as part of your verification process rather than cause yourself so much pain ! 

Sincerely! 

@rlombard wrote:

This link does not solve the issue the fact remains that you can not verify 99% of debit and credit cards with a $0.00 transaction which then forces us to attempt to use Paypal which then is denied due to limits again for fraud protection most Paypal accounts limit how much can be charged per month to attempt to limit a fraudulent user to minimize the pain when they get ahold of someones account.  Spotify , time to get on the ball here and charge a $1 and credit it back as part of your verification process rather than cause yourself so much pain ! 

Sincerely! 

Do Spotify have a $0.00 charge even if you are not subscribing for the 30 day free trial? 

As far as I am aware, payments are not actually processed by Spotify, but by a third party.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

rlombard - Looks like you've managed to get that subscription running, is it all working nicely?

Peter - I understand there's a $0.01 charge that's held and refunded immediately, just to activate the card. I'll pass the feedback on.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

ya, ran into the same problem. I went to renew and it still says my card is declined. I hope there is a way to fix it... I miss having my tunes on the road

Hey there @jdillon114!

Have you contacted your banking institution that has issued your card? Are there any holds? Are you cleared for e-commerce?

Remember that Spotify may apply a $0.01 charge on your account to verify that the card is real, then the real charge of $9.99 will replace that. Make sure your bank has no restrictions on what transactions it will automatically deny.
Spotify on!
Mikey

Spotify | Twitter

Did you like this post? Please add kudos below!
Did this post solve your issue? Accept it as a solution below!

Hello!

Does Spotify team read the messages from this community?

I can see this problems has been enduring for last three years.

I describe it once more. Many users using Visa credit card cannot start free trial because spotify wants to take payment 0.0.

My bank accepts such payment but VISA DOES NOT and declines it. (I called to my bank regarding this case)

Hey, spotify devleopers could you please fix this annoying error for example by taking or reserve the lowest acceptable amount of money? And return it later? Or any other solution.

I don't know if someone from spotify team would read this. Do you maybe how to write to them?

Thanks in advance,

Almost a spotify user,

Marcin D.

Same problem here for the last year. Called my bank and they said everything's ok. I can use my VISA in Play Store, Amazon, etc, and other apps. It doesn't make any sense. It is clearly an issue with Spotify.

I've already wrote to Spotify several times and they never replied.

It seems to be a random issue. Some friends of mine don't have this problem.

I tried creating a new account but the problem persists.

I have a Visa debit card and I know I have money in the account but as I want to subscribe to Premium I keep on getting the message "your bank is having a bad day, please try again later or use a different type of payment". What can I do? I also tried with another card which was Visa as well and the same message came up. What is wrong with this? Btw I am in Mexico and yes I do have my account linked to the same country as my payment method. 

I have the same problem, how do you solved it ?

Me too and it’s sad i needed music to listen to for my trip

Spotify is requesting me to update my credit card number but it rejects my VISA. How can I make it work?

Spotify is actively trying to kick me out?

Suggested posts