Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What is/is not allowed ref. streaming, syncing & squeezebox devices

What is/is not allowed ref. streaming, syncing & squeezebox devices

Premium Account.

I really wish there was a clear FAQ on what can & can't be achieved with syncing & streaming, with examples.

Syncing, I understand only 3 devices can have off-line syncing, Is there a way for me to check which devices are sync allowed. I had tested on a few devices to start with but my android phone, (the first I set up) just said it has exceeded the 3 & has been deactivated. This is OK as do not want it on this phone but I would have liked to have the option to leave & de-activated another.

How does this work.

1) Is it possible to de-activate a device (for syncing) at our end from the app or PC so that we can set up the one we want.

2) Is it OK to have AS MANY devices as you want, phones & PC etc. installed & logged on to the same premium account, to access playlists etc. with the understanding can only stream from one at a time & only sync to 3.

3) I have a Squeezebox Touch & Squeezebox Radio (Spotify App instaleld on both) logged on the the same premium account. Is there a way to stream to both at the same time. i.e nice to have the same music playing round house. I assume it will fail in the same way as any other device or could the squeeze box be an exception or could it be somehow be done through One phone as the source to both squeezeboxes. (this is a real shame if not) Fairly new to the Squeezbox & Spotify so stil learning but won't go looking if not allowed from the start.

Whilst I understand its personal & licence issues, streaming to only 1 device is restrictive especially with squeezebox.

Is there any other obvious limitations/restrictions that might come up with my setup, phones, pc & squeezebox's.

Thanks I/A

7 Replies

Here are some answers for you:

1) At the moment, it is not possible to decide which devices are enabled for offline synching as you describe.  Spotify will simply allow offline synching on the most recent three devices that attempt it.  So as long as you don't attempt to enable an offline playlist on another device, the three that you have synched to should be fine.

2) Yes, you may use your account on any number of devices.  It is only offline playlists as you already know that is limited to three devices.

3) At the current time, no, there is no way to stream to more than one device at a time using the same account - even for the squeezebox.  As soon as you start streaming with a second device, the first one will stop.  The exception to this is if you are listening to an offline playlist on a device, and it is in offline mode as well, you can listen on more than one device at a time, since only one will be seen as streaming at that time.

Items 1 and 3 might be something Spotify would consider implementing - it might be worthwhile to post these ideas in the Ideas & Feedback category as well.

Hope this helps!

Edit: The information I provided on item 3 is not completely correct - see Richard's response below for more info on that one.

Hey, welcome to the Community and thanks for your questions. I'll try to answer them as best I can.

1) Currently there isn't a way for users to deregister their devices on our end - just get in touch and we'll do it for you. Hopefully users will be able to do this for themselves in future.

2) That's right, you can have as many devices as you want technically - but you could only stream from one at a time or have tracks synced offline on 3 devices.

3) The Squeezebox does offer a multi-room capacity which means you should be able to stream it throughout your house - check out this older thread on this question: https://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/sonos_multiroom_and_iphone_one_prem_account (says Sonos but Squeezebox is mentioned)

Let me know if you have any further questions you'd like answering. You can always give our free trial a go if you'd like to test out your setup before committing.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Beaten to it by jvanderb there! Though it looks like there's some amiguity over the multi-streaming issue - I think this is cleared up in the thread I linked to.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Yeah...lol - I was not aware of that, so I edited my post accordingly.  🙂

Hi,

Following on from my own questions ref. streaming to two Squeezebox's at the same time.

I think most replys above & the link was mainly referring to playing different tunes but I did actually want the same music.

Turns out there is an option in the squeezebox for "Syncing" you select either none or can choose another unit so anything played is played on both my Touch & Radio. Pretty cool. I guess not cheating Spotify licence as will only play same thing unde same network.

My only small issue is the volume, the "Touch" playing though the stereo can handle higher volume so could risk over loading the "Radio" if not careful. There may be an option to prevent volume controlling both at the same time but will see.

I think I should have noticed,read about this before.

Anyway, well done Logitech.

Richard, This link doesnt really explain much as the question in that thread is regarding playing different songs at the same time (ie multiple users). 

I think the question here is about multi-room: playing the same spotify song in many rooms using a network of devices. 

I bought a squeezebox touch with the hope that I could sync it with my PC run account:

Room 1 = PC running spotify, spotimote connected to HI-FI #1 
Room 2 = Sb Touch connected to HI-FI #2
remote = Android +spotimote
potentially more squeezeboxes in other rooms

This desirable for me as, to be honest, the spotify app on the touch is not very good, PC is MUCH better.  However I've now realised that because of the restriction put in place by spotify I cannot achieve a synced multiroom solution with the above setup.  So now I have to go buy a radio and instead have:

Room 1 = squeezebox radio connected to HI-FI #1 
Room 2 = Sb Touch connected to HI-FI #2
remote = Android +squeezebox app

But I still am not totally clear if spotify will sync properly between these two devices.

Hello,

on the syncing thing, you can just sync your two (or three, or more  ... ) SB devices bewteen each other. This allows you to listen to the same music on all SB's nop matter what you are streaming, as only one streaming source is used.

The volume control issue remains , as a common volume is set by the 'streaming source' SB, i.e the one that all other SB's sync to. So SB's where Vol cntrl is only by Software, such as for the Android App, you can only control one volume. SB Boom should be adjustable also by it's vol knob, so is any HiFi system, that has it's own Volume control, on top of the common volume level. 

Not really a Spotify specific matter, I know. But that's the way i am operating. hope it's a bit helpful.

Greetings,

Q

Suggested posts