Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

how many devices for a premium a/c

how many devices for a premium a/c

I have spotify premium and connected it to my android. My wife has an Iphone 3gs can that device be allowed to connect with my premium a/c too?

My son has a blackberry 9330 and can that be used in the a/c too?

49 Replies

@swedefox wrote:

Why the limitation to 3 devices???

I'm seriously considering canceling my premium account because of this.

I use a Samsung Galaxy SII, my wife and two of our sons use Samsung Galaxy Ace.

We run 3 computers at home and I run one at work. Now you tell me I can't run spotify on all of them!!  Why?? I pay for the f...... service and want to use it as I please as long as I'm paying for it.

Ridicolous!

Anders.L

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

You can actually use Spotify on as many devices as you like, but you can only have 1 active streaming session at any given time, and you can only store offline content on 3 devices. This is down to the personal licensing of Spotify, each person should have their own account. However, there is actually no restriction on how many devices you can login on.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I know only one device can be online at any given time. No problem with that. But the limitatin to 3 devices!!! 

Come on!!!

Calls for cancelation. It was fun while it lasted.

Sorry spotify, one customer less....

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

You can actually use Spotify on as many devices as you like, but you can only have 1 active streaming session at any given time, and you can only store offline content on 3 devices. This is down to the personal licensing of Spotify, each person should have their own account. However, there is actually no restriction on how many devices you can login on.

Peter

Only offline playlists are limited to 3. You can log in anywhere you want - if you don't make any music available offline, it won't waste a device.

That's a shame.  

I stopped using Spotify a year ago when my wife bought me a Sonos with a 6 months free subscription to Napster for Christmas.  I've paid for the £10/months subs for the remainder of this year but wanted to come back to Spotify for the better;

- Mac OS X application (Napster on the Mac appears to be such a neglected afterthought in comparison)

- Streaming rates

- Radio playlists 

Unfortunately, only 1 streaming device at a time is a real deal breaker and garuanteed to disrupt my marital bliss 🙂  I don't consider my scenario unique either.  

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread, as this fact is not clear from the main website blurb.  Hope Spotify sorts the licensing out one day as I really would prefer to give you my subs.

Marital bliss is important so add your support to this idea 🙂

So as long as one device is set to offline mode two device can play music at the same time?

Technically yes (although its against the terms and conditions if its two different people).

Peter

I upgraded to premium with the free trial. It was great. Then, I'm at work and my stream kept pausing. It told me about the 1 device at a time issue. I was thinking, seriously? I knew my wife was listening at her store.

I took to Google and searched for what was happening. Then I found out. I thought to myself, Netflix has standard 2 devices with an option for 4 on the same account, multiple devices and that's video. Hulu and even On Demand from the cable company has that. Why not Spotify? It makes perfect business sense seeing as it is 2014 and phones, phablets, tablets, laptops and desktops are used within families pretty commonly. It just appears to be a way to make more money from the same household and people are getting smarter about that. 

Instead of swearing every other word on here, I'm just going to say i hope you change this in the future. I may acyually use the service again. For now, I have cancelled. 

Hopefully Spotify will consider about this but you totally can get your wife another account and wait 😄

Dont foget to KUDOS if you think this post helpful 🙂

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

It comes down to how Spotify license content sadly, accounts are for "personal" usage only meaning they are single user accounts.

Whilst that is unlikely to change, we are hoping Spotify will implement some sort of "family" subscription plan in the future:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Discount-Family-Subscriptions/idi-p/2275

Peter

Suggested posts